Exploring Banh Mi - The Vietnamese Sandwich Interpreted, Overkilled and Sublime - Gjusta, Little Sister, Baguette City, Saigon Bakery & Ba Le Sandwiches (Westminster)

The non egg ones are decent, I have had the BBQ pork and thought it was good but not outstanding. A bit too sweet for my taste. Haven’t had any of their other offerings. The egg is just awesome, something about the combo of their bread with jalapeño and egg that just is awesome.

I do like the SPAM, egg and pork banh mi at Tam Thanh. I believe it is called dac biet. Not too far and a nice alternative.

1 Like

Hi @attran99, @Happybaker,

The 2nd Branch (on Valley) has tables inside, so you can eat it right there. :slight_smile: The other location has a tiny window “bar” with a few seats I think, but less seating. There’s like 2 tables outside also.

I wanna try their Banh Mi Xiu Mai next time (Meatballs), but not sure how it tastes.

@Chowseeker1999 what a fun report to read! I want to try some of those, but feel so parochial, I honestly have no idea where places like Rosemead, Gardena or Alhambra are. But I can find Pasadena, Encino and Santa Barbara without an app. :wink:

2 Likes

i’m not quite sure why you’re lol-ing canned sardines. they’re a wonderful thing.

2 Likes

OMG! The Saigon egg banh mi is one of the best breakfasts I’ve ever had! The runny yolk with the pickled vegetables and jalapeño was so good! I should have ordered two. Thanks @Chowseeker1999 !

9 Likes

When my cat won’t come home I stand on the patio and open a can… It works like a charm.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it better!

2 Likes

This is a pretty epic thread on Banh Mi’s.

1 Like

Hi @attran99,

Nice! Glad you liked it. :smile: Was it not just delicious? Love that Banh Mi so much. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re right they are pretty tasty. It’s more of a personal nostalgia thing, I should’ve clarified: My roommate in college used to buy these canned sardines in tomato sauce (they were really inexpensive) and we’d share these sometimes. When I first had the sardine banh mi at a few shops in Little Saigon, it tasted exactly like that brand we had back then, as if they those sandwich shops bought the same brand and just cracked open the can and put it on the sandwich. :slight_smile:

Still makes me smile remembering those times; just found it funny. But they are tasty.

2 Likes

Every Vietnamese person has those sardines. It may as well be considered traditional.

2 Likes

@Ns1 That’s one banh mi, I’ve never tried buying. My Mom’s is so good…thinly sliced white onions sautéed in butter, and then open the cans of sardines in tomato sauce…perhaps add more tomato sauce and a TON of black pepper. So simple and so good…I have an extra helping when she makes it.

4 Likes

I agree, but how do you get it with runny yolks??? It’s always been scrambled eggs when I get them =(

At Saigon Bakery? The usual default (if we just order as is) has never been Scrambled Eggs; usually ranging from barely runny Sunny Side Up, to more cooked-through.

I just ask one of the people taking the order for “softer / less cooked” and it works for me.

2 Likes

One time I was meeting some friends at a beach bonfire, and everyone was bringing their dinner, and all I had was a couple cans of sardines (one spicy and one tomato) and half a baguette, so I brought them. I was kind of hesitant about opening the cans, because I thought people wouldn’t like the smell.

I ended up having to pass them around; people’s ears perked up when I popped the first can. Apparently, if your parents were Italian, Colombian or Japanese, you really, really like sardines. Who knew?

Now I must try a sardine bahn mi, ASAP.

2 Likes

OC Poultry and Rotisserie Market
2117 E. Ball Rd.
Anaheim, CA 92806
Tel: (714) 780-0225

Love going here to pick up Bahn Mi before heading to The Bruery, where no food but excellent craft beer is served. This time, we were meeting my little sister, a vegetarian. I checked their menu, and besides veggie sandwiches, they also offered a lemongrass tofu bahn mi.

We also got their ready made spring rolls with shrimp and pork. They made-to-order vegetarian spring rolls for my little sis. They only disappointing part was we bought these pork pastries (maybe called pork chaud) and they didn’t end up in the to-go order! The super nice woman, owner, I think, at the register said they were very good! Next time!

My ham, pate, #4, with egg and extra veggies. Delicious!

Inside store. They also sell roast chicken and duck and have fresh noodles in fridge case.

Veggie springrolls

So many beers, so little time! At the Bruery.

9 Likes

Hi @Xochitl,

Nice report! Sounds like you had a good meal and beers. :slight_smile: How did your sister’s lemongrass tofu banh mi turn it? Recommended?

Glad to hear the #4 that you got was good, I’ll have to try that one next time, thanks. :slight_smile:

Oh my gosh. Banh Me’s and beer - perfection!

We’ve gotten them for air flights - why not beer flights?!

1 Like

The lady who runs the place is so sweet.

1 Like

Finally got to try My Tho. Got the famous grilled pork with egg.

Bread and fillings were good. I like there was some crushed peanuts in it.

As for the proteins, the pork and egg both were pretty damn cold. I think if the egg was freshly cooked and the pork was at least warm it would be a whole another sandwich. This sandwich came out in under a minute.

I mean it is still solid. I stilll prefer Saigon Bakery and OG Ba Le on Bolsa.

3 Likes