Exploring Banh Mi - The Vietnamese Sandwich Interpreted, Overkilled and Sublime - Gjusta, Little Sister, Baguette City, Saigon Bakery & Ba Le Sandwiches (Westminster)

it’s on Westminster and Magnolia in the Thuan Phat supermarket plaza…

Hi @hppzz,

Indeed, Saigon Bakery’s bread is really amazing as you described it best I think. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the video. That is pretty informative and great to know Saigon Bakery’s doing it the same way.

I like that video is using OG banh mi bread and not baguettes which seemed to rise in popularity around the 1990’s.

Great catch @Ns1. I think I vaguely remember eating that original style of bread when I was younger. Any places still use that shape?

Genuine question, how does taking it to-go change the texture? My complaint about banh mi sandwiches is that they are frequently… scratchy.

@Chowseeker1999: great reporting. Sorry to hear about the Little Sister one. I feel like the pork should be like the Vietnamese version of a carnitas. If it’s ain’t got a bit of char and crunch, it ain’t right…

Had to double check yelp to confirm, Banh Mi Che Cali offers both (Brookhurst location at least), as well as Ba Le in Alhambra.

1 Like

Thanh Tam uses it for their sandwiches. Also great for dunking in their stews and curries.

1 Like

i know it doesn’t make sense, but i have noticed that i’ve occasionally had a crust that left a lot of really dry small crumbs, vs. the bigger crumbs i get off a fresh crusty loaf, but only if i ordered to go (vs. eating them in the parking lot) and when i’ve let them sit for a bit. it doesn’t make sense because most loaves get softer when they’re wrapped. i guess i attribute it (perhaps wrongly) to the fact that french bread is typically made without fat and as a consequence they dry out quickly.

what’s OG about it is they’re all shirtless and one guy has cigarette hanging from his lips as he’s slashing :smile:

2 Likes

the scratchy/abrasive culprit is lee’s sandwiches. cuts on the roof of my mouth everytime so I avoid Lee’s at all cost.

1 Like

that detail was most certainly not lost on me - 555’s no doubt.

Did you notice the fingernail though?

6 Likes

why can’t I like this post more than once?

that’s his screwdriver. howard hughes had one just…like…it.

Back in the day, I used to love their puff pastry pies with pate. They were especially good if they were piping hot.

Fantastic report.
I had an excellent fried egg Banh Mi at Sandwich Express in Reseda.

Thanks @CiaoBob. :slight_smile: Have you tried Saigon Bakery’s Egg Banh Mi yet? Curious how the one you tried at Sandwich Express compares.

@MaladyNelson Oh nice. Do they still have puff pastry pies with pate? (say that 3 times fast LOL)

Have not.

It’s been many years since I’ve had the pie, so I don’t know if it’s still good. Judging from Instagram, they still serve it.

haha, typically asian men grow the pinky nail…great eye!