Exquisite Kappo Cuisine Arrives in L.A. - Welcome to Shibumi [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @tailbacku,

It’s ordered a la carte off the menu. Although sitting in front of the chef, you can probably ask for his recommendations and he’ll course it out.

More often than not, Gold is either wrong or misinformed, or both.

In this case, even for a n00b like myself, I think Gold is wrong as usual.

I completely agree with you about the food being kaiseki/kappo quality. But there’s also the dining side of kappo cuisine, being able to watch and interact with the chef preparing your food.

I’ll have to go back again and sit in front of chef david, but my last visit sitting at the bar just didn’t feel like kappo to me, i didn’t get the full experience, i was missing the interaction that is an integral part of kappo-style dining. That’s not a knock on the food or chef, just the physical layout of the restaurant.

Would kaiseki be kaiseki if the food wasn’t artfully arranged on seasonally appropriate plates? Would kappo be kappo if there’s no interaction with the chef?

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Definitely! I agree.

I think it was the… 3rd visit when we weren’t sitting in front of Chef David (we were at the bar, but at the very end), and while the bartender was very accommodating (and nice) and we talked drinks (very interesting tidbits), we missed the interaction with the chef.

Ideally, I think it would’ve been good to have just, say, 10 or 12 seats in an intimate setting and have Chef David cook and prep and serve for those 12 guests. But I think the cost / reality sets in.

Also, in L.A. at least, I know plenty of “foodies” (who really appreciate food), who actually don’t care if they sit in front of Maru-san (at Mori) or Shunji-san (at Shunji’s). They’re just happy to enjoy the food and carry on their own conversations. And they think Mori Sushi and Shunji’s are amazing (just for the food with no chef conversation).

But for you or me, I think we would care. And I think I would have less of an experience (like you said) if I didn’t get to have the conversations with Chef David and learn about the dishes and just chat. :slight_smile: Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Forgot to post the Sake menu for your perusal and recommendations. :wink:

1 Like

Second that. Heaven on earth.

anywhere in SoCal to enjoy that awesomeness, or is that a go to japan type of experience?

This sounds like a place I would like very much. Thank you for the detailed report and photos. When I go, I will order one of every vegetable dish and the sea bream. If abalone is available, I will have that also.

I love tofu skin, I didn’t know it was called yabu, thank you. I learned something today.

I’m too shy to chat with chefs, so I don’t mind if they don’t entertain me. I do like to watch the cooking process, though.

2 Likes

Yuba.

Yuba is also a regional specialty of Nikko, which is north of Tokyo.

Lol, okay, that was spell check, I swear. Y-u-b-a. I like the way it rhymes with tuba.

2 Likes

Kappo = Kapoor on my spellcheck.

1 Like

He’s far better than Michael Bauer of the San Francisco Chronicle…

Tallest midget at the circus.

1 Like

How about a trade of midgets then? haha…

except this midget has a pulitzer for writing about food. so there’s that.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this!

The higher end bottles are anywhere from 2x to nearly 3x US/CA retail and some might not work as well with the food

Definitely stick with the honjozo/junmai/ginjo category for best results. Dewazakura Ginjo should be a good safe one (recent gold medal competition winner @ International Wine Challenge 2016 in Osaka) though it’s a touch more floral, and the rice is polished down to the bare minimum of Junmai Daiginjo level (50%). Should you try the Daishichi kimoto honjozo, maybe the restaurant can help warm it up (and it should be interesting).

If you must get a full bottle of the higher end, Tedorigawa Yamahai Daiginjo is a safe one.

Though if I were to check the place out myself, I’d probably bring my own.

1 Like

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks for the recs! :slight_smile: Interesting…

So the Daishichi Kimoto Junmai Daiginjo should be best enjoyed warm?

And for “higher end,” the Daishichi you recommended was more expensive than the Tedorigawa Yamahai. :slight_smile: How does it compare with the Tedorigawa Kinka Daiginjo that we talked about last time at Raku? Better?

You can read more about Daishichi’s product line here

Shibumi stocks two from the lineup, the Kimoto Honjozo (the one right above Umeshu), and the Junmai Daiginjo , likely the Minowamon (even though Shibumi’s sake menu does not list the name of the JD, I doubt they will offer the Houreki $146, considering the Houreki retail in SoCal is about $180 and Myouka Rangyoku if you can find it is $400 to $500 retail). Minowamon is fantastic with sushi/sashimi, though the brewer says it’s excellent with kaiseki (hence Shibumi offering it on the menu).

The Honjozo has a rice polish ratio of about 70%, and Junmai Daiginjo is 50% or lower (likely 50% since the Myouka Rangyoku top end is 50 as well). However the Minowamon shouldn’t be warmed. Honjozo sakes do and can be served warmed particularly if the brewery recommends it. In fact for waming sakes in general, Honjozo, Junmai and some Junmai Ginjo are best candidates (and also to try enjoying at three to four temperatures, chilled, lightly chilled, room temperature, warmed).

Daishichi makes great sake overall, using traditional methods (most or all of their sakes employ the kimoto method).

There is also a typo or mistake in one of their sake listings, the daiginjo genshu masumi nanago $218. Masumi Nanago is actually a Yamahai Junmai Daiginjo. Yumedono is the Daiginjo Genshu. In Japan (and Hong Kong) you can get Masumi Yumedono Junmai Daiginjo version, but that’s not exported to the US.

Tedorigawa Yamahai Daiginjo is a different sake altogether. It’s built for izakaya and yakitori fare and has a nice acidity similar to good white wine (inherent in quite a few Yamahai sakes). The Kinka is unpasteurized and is more fruit forward and aromatic.

3 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Wow, great info again! Thanks. :slight_smile:

It’s pretty surprising to hear the Kimoto Honjozo is recommended to be served at about 104 degrees F! :open_mouth: I haven’t had good hot sake before. I might have to try it that way when the weather cools down here. :wink:

Interesting note about the Yumedono not being available in the U.S.

Further proof that Shibumi’s Masumi Daiginjo Genshu offering is the Yumedono, not Nanago, straight from the wholesaler/distributor

http://www.worldsake.com/Restaurants.asp?RegionID=1&RestaurantID=622

Yumedono Daiginjo: http://www.worldsake.com/portfolio.asp?Action=GetDetails&LabelID=4&BreweryID=7&SakeCategoryID=

Nanago Junmai Daiginjo Yamahai: http://www.worldsake.com/portfolio.asp?Action=GetDetails&LabelID=16&BreweryID=7&SakeCategoryID=

Yumedono Junmai Daiginjo (not available in the USA as far as I know)

http://www.masumi.co.jp/english/junmaiyumedono/

1 Like