Exquisite Kappo Cuisine Arrives in L.A. - Welcome to Shibumi [Thoughts + Pics]

The Gaunter sake books are mostly text and softcover. Timkin’s book has some photos and is perfect entry point as well.

The “baller” sake book is extremely impressive. It covers a selection of sake breweries in different parts of Japan, discussions with the breweries presidents and toji’s (brew masters), going into history, the process, and the philosophies.
Then it goes beyond sake (I think some sections on distilled spirits). It’s a super thick book on top of that and a hardcover only.

Knowledge has a price, yo

1 Like

Toaster? I hardly know her.

3 Likes

Thanks @beefnoguy.

We’ve definitely seen Shichida (forgot which versions) listed on a couple places over the past year, but I can’t remember where for the life of me. :sweat_smile:

I’ll have to try the one at Shibumi if we go back soon. Thanks for the intel.

Small correction: while JFC does have a branch office in Fremont, their HQ is here in Commerce…

http://www.jfc.com/#/about-us/us-network

1 Like

Thanks, Sake Expert : About Us was a bit misleading unless SF = SF Bay Area.

1 Like

Haha. Hmm… sakeexpert.com is incorrect. I am not surprised. These companies (JFC, MTC, Nishimoto/Wismettac) do not invest much in their online presence.

1 Like

Finally had the Shichida Junmai Ginjo Muroka Nama sake. Two bottles of it across 2 weeks!

Fantastic sake, this is quite the treat and super enjoyable. It is exactly how it was described several posts above.

It’s a very complex and well built and structured sake. Aromatic on the nose, definitely some sweet rice and various types of fruits. Front and mid palette, you have something akin to a very well balanced pickled plum, even an umeboshi that is not pungent or too sour. Multi dimensional…you have sweet, sour, savory, that ends with a solid semi dry finish with a tinge of a spice note. And somewhere in the middle of all this is a hidden layer of umami, of which that impact increases depending on what food you have with it. The experience can be quite electrifying. Goes very well with umami rich seafood (including shellfish), and absolutely wonderful with delectable ankimo (not the oversteamed cylindrical kind with ponzu sauce) and izakaya friendly appetizers/otsumami. The stronger flavored the food, the better the sake gets (just stay away from the extreme, e.g. Sichuan spices). With sushi it works, but stick with stronger flavors overall. I’m still going to recommend the flavor profile coming close to that of, or even at Sushi Ginza Onodera (where they likely have stronger flavored neta, heavier seasoned aka shari/sake lees vinegared rice…better if there’s more salt in the sushi rice seasoning with the right amount sourness).

5 Likes

Hi @beefnoguy,

Fantastic tasting notes. :slight_smile: Definitely looking forward to trying this out somewhere. At least we know it’s at Shibumi, but I’ll keep an eye out for it at other local spots.

You guys need to start some sake threads either on the LA board or the booze board…

“Sake in LA”

“Who has some unique sake around town right now?”

There’s a wealth of info you guys have laid out here and on other threads. More specific threads would do this topic justice.

4 Likes

Almost forgot, the sake also definitely has that effervescent quality to it that resembles Aramasa sake in Japan, you can literally taste something that’s like marble soda, no bubbles but you feel there’s something there. The Ramune of sake? Haha. So in addition to all those flavor profiles, there is texture and mouthfeel!

Definitely fun to have izakaya food with as well.

1 Like

This sounds even more incredible and interesting, thanks. :slight_smile:

Drank a lot of that at Shibumi dinner the other night; auto-paired with sea squirt and glass shrimp cured in sea cucumber guts right now as well.

White translucent shrimp? Shiro ebi in konowata sounds like a great “chinmi” - nice slippery textures to start, and perfect with sake.

I’m visiting next week - hope to try this.

2 Likes

https://www.hitimewine.net/tenzan-shichida-2017-namazake-ginjo-genshu-sake-720ml-362017

11 bottles in Costa Mesa. Bring an ice chest/cooler to keep the sake chilled while in transit.

Enjoy.

Thanks @beefnoguy. :slight_smile: But darn it’s so far away… maybe if I’m visiting friends in the OC. Hm… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last night, after our meal at Broken Spanish, we walked over to Shibumi for a night cap / dessert, but they were closed and the metal sliding door that covers the entire storefront was pulled down, indicating to me that they had been closed for some time perhaps. It was 11pm on a Wednesday. Is that normal for them? Hope that is not a sign of slow business? Granted I have never been there so late in the middle of the week, so perhaps it is nothing to be concerned about. DTLA can be a ghost town in some areas at 11pm on a Wednesday.

They close at 10:30.

Thanks, there you have it. I guess when I have walked into there later than that in the past for a night cap, they have decided to stay open because diners were still there.

I think they used to stay open later, but probably have adjusted their hours to reflect customer demand.

I got to try the Shichida Muroka Nama Genshu last Saturday.

Loved it. I believe this sake is a homerun for most Americans.
It is a lively product that demands attention and won’t accept being passed of as “just another sake”.

3 Likes