Extensive Paso Robles knowledge available to you on request

Been a dozen times and have done significant research.

-never spit bucket. soviet training

4 Likes

Going to be there for a night on the way down from our road trip. We stopped at Spearhead Coffe on the way up. Very nice coffee and an excellent chocolate chip cookie at 9:30am. Weā€™re on vacation.

All the research Iā€™ve done suggested Artisan and Hatch. We are only there for 1 lunch, 1 dinner and 1 breakfast. Anything better than these two?
Breakfast ideas?

Artisan used to be REALLY good 5+ years ago, but our last 3 meals there have been disappointing. I miss the old more intimate space. The new space feels like youā€™re eating at a Dennyā€™s.

Sorry I donā€™t have better suggestions. Iā€™m still searching for better food in Paso unfortunately.

Bruhā€¦ This was a wine posting for a wine subforum :slight_smile:
I hated Artisan last time. Hatch is probably favorite.

Sorry dude. Didnā€™t read the sub-forum.
Hit me up with one winery to hit in Paso Robles and your top 2 tasting rooms in town.

NP. iā€™m just goofing. Thereā€™s only 1 tasting room in town worth a visit and itā€™s the incredible Herman Story.

Winery, Iā€™d have to now your tastes a bit but good stuff that grows well in the area Iā€™d say maybe McPrice Myers, Ecluse

Stop by Tin City
Stop by Tin City
Stop by Tin City

http://www.tincitypaso.com/

Best wineries there? IMHO - Aaron, Jacob Toft, Clos Selene, Brian Benson, Nicora, Sans Liege, Desparada, Onx.

I WOULD agree that McPrice Myers is outstanding but you get more bang for your time at Tin City.

This area looks cute. We are only in Paso for a day so donā€™t have much time. Weā€™ll have to plan a trip back up here. We only really have time to hit up 1 winery and 1 or 2 places in town.

I donā€™t know about bang for your buck. The two bottles I got from Aaron were in the $70s. Just opened one at Bestia. Amazing truly. Iā€™ve had Desperada Cab before, very good.

Field Recordings is the best bang for buck, also in tin city. We go to Tin City after the wineries close so we can hang at the brewery and listen to music. But wine tasting is always best in wineries, not tasting room in industrial areasā€¦

I donā€™t want to sound argumentative but also want to give a true picture for anyone reading.

1. I didnā€™t say ā€œbang for your buckā€, I said ā€œbang for your TIMEā€. And BTW, I just checked, and Aaronā€™s current offerings top out at $48.

2. While a tasting room on vineyard property is certainly a more complete experience, the wineries at Tin City arenā€™t all just tasting rooms. They actually MAKE wine at some of them. We could go on forever about ā€˜virtualā€™ wineries. Half of Californiaā€™s wineries donā€™t own any vineyards, yet lots of them make great wine.

Yes i agree with all of your points. Weā€™ve been in tasting room areas like los olivos and wine ghetto and tin city a LOT. itā€™s a great way to taste a lot of stuffā€¦ just missing the aesthetic of beautiful places ā€¦

Thatcher for example. The old ranch of Lucky Baldwin with animals etc.

Thatā€™s good news about aaron. we bought our bottles in 2014 when tin city had 3 wineries. before Benson moved in

Herman Story was great. Excellent wine and the people place have a lot of character. Fun times. I can see why this place is popular

The other wines we really enjoyed was at Aaron. Very good pinot and a very nice dry old world style Riesling. Tin city is a cool spot. The ice cream next door was really good. Good creamy texture. Traditional flavors but you could taste all the ingredients.

1 Like

Nice. Herman story isnā€™t very popular but it is amazing. Glad you hit up Aaron also. Miss that stuff. last 2 times in paso we didnā€™t go to tincity at allā€¦ that reminds meā€¦ we rented this Geo Dome last timeā€¦ so dope

2 Likes

Bump.
Heading to the area next week. Chiefly interested in good restaurants between Santa Mara and SLO. One restaurant in Paso maybe.

Might visit a winery or tasting room for wines not widely distributed. Rick, the somm at Auburn, gave me:

• Law
  • Adelaida
  • Paix Sur Terre
  • Tablas Creek
  • Epoch
  • Linne Calodo
  • Booker
  • Torrin

Weā€™re mostly into old world wines, but always like to drink in the terroir weā€™re in.

Any reccs appreciated.

1 Like

Nothing fancy but I visited Rancho Nipomo BBQ and deli last Thursday on these two recommendations.

I got the tr-tip torta and West Coast Chili Beans. Torta comes with jalapenos, onions, tomato, lettuce and special sauce (which I think is Tiaā€™s sauce pictured upper right with salsa verde). The tri-tip was decent (not overdone or chewy) and decently portioned but I was glad I got it in torta form because it wasnā€™t quite good enough for the basic ā€œmeat on breadā€ option. They donā€™t have the prototypical Santa Maria bean side but the chili was very meaty, decent use of spices (but not spicy) and a nice thick tomato heavy consistency. Finally, there was a decent selection of garnishes and salsas with mild and spicy options in case you do order the meat on bread option and find it a little plain.

1 Like

Here are some suggestions
Buellton - Industrial Eats

Paso Robles - Hatch or Artisan (although its been a few years since my last visits)
Spearhead coffee is great
Loved Herman Story wine and atmosphere in the tasting room. Very laid back. I think @Nemroz is probably your huckleberry for more wine suggestions in the area.

1 Like

I moved this to the California - Elsewhere board since itā€™s mostly about food.

I highly recommend Sommā€™s Kitchen in Paso Robles. Small dining room featuring direct contact with the chef, who explains each small plates course and each glass of wine paired with it. Special ingredients and sophisticated technique combine to create a memorable meal.

Also, Jockoā€™s Steak House in Nipomo for dinner is a standby, for good reason. Grilled steaks and chops are excellent and QPR is huge. Menu even has sweetbreads. Wine list includes nice local choices including Lā€™Aventure, Booker, Sea Smoke and Laetitia.

1 Like

Those are quite good. Some of the more high end ones listed.

I like Terry Hoage, Thatcher, Paix Sur Terre as well

Thanks. Iā€™ve read several reviews and heard personally the tri-tip is as dry as sawdust. Was that the case with your sandie?