Family dinner Culver City/Playa Del Rey area with visitors

We have visitors coming in from Italy and we need a restaurant to take them to. There will be 8 people in our group, four of whom are kids (between the ages of 4-10). We’ll be eating at 7pm on a Friday night. Here’s the criteria:

Kid-friendly - meaning there are some options for my 4 year old who is picky
Reasonably priced - we’d go as high as low $20s for a main, but we are also open to really casual if it’s a fun place
Culver City area - either of the Playas, Venice are fine
Outside seating - or something that feels open and with lots of windows, etc.
Not Italian - our visitors are from Italy

I was thinking of Playa Provisions but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of options for kids…unless there’s a hidden kids menu I don’t know about.

Thanks!

I think it would be fun to be near the beach. I like Playa Del Rey because it’s not really built up.

Gdinner @ Gjusta
A-Frame

2 Likes

Gjusta looks great. My only concern is getting there with 8 people and have to wait. Seven pm on a Friday night is already pushing it for my kids. Definitely going with my husband sometime though.

What kind of stuff would your kid eat?

She would eat plain pasta, hot dogs, grilled cheese, pizza, yogurt with fruit.

Would Humble Potato be too adventurous?

I was considering Humble Potato myself. It’s definitely in the running.

Albeit random, Szechwan Palace in Playa Del Pay is a favorite hidden gem of mine. Great room in back that looks upon the ballona creek. Can very likely get plain noodles too. Quiet, easy parking and way cheap so you can order up a storm. Very approachable NY-style chinese food…your Italian friends might find it a hoot? Chinese is a hard food type to find even in a major city like Rome. I know, I’ve tried!

Mayura. Gloria’s maybe for something they’d remember (i have no idea if it’s still good). Maple block? The Brazilian place? Just thoughts on CC.

You might consider the Proud Bird. It’s more of a food court and airplane museum with good seating to watch the planes land and the sunset. I can’t vouch for the food except Bludsoe’s fine BBQ, but there’s definitely something for the kids like burgers and pizza. Lot’s of planes to look at, and a lot of military history to peruse. On Friday the food court closes at 9, but the bar stays open.

There’s also restaurants with a view near the Marina, none of the food is great but the view at 7 pm would be fantastic. Some are fairly reasonable in price. Think Killer Shrimp or the Cheesecake Factory.

Playa Vista along Jefferson is a rather nice area for casual dining, walking and shopping. There’s places like Hop Doddy, Tocaya Organica (Mexican organic), ROC and Da Kikokiko (Brooke Williamson’s take on Hawaiian).

The aforementioned Runway is a good idea. I would also look into the Dough Room in Palms.

Fathers Office, Lukshon, Little Fatty, Barbara Jean, Superba, or Hatchet Hall

Maybe not the foodiest, but my rec is for the old school atmosphere and handmade flour tortillas at Casablanca Mexican restaurant in Venice. I absolutely loved going there as a kid. The decor kept my little eyes mesmerized and the flour tortillas kept my tummy satisfied. I went last year and the restaurant looked like it had been frozen in time since I had last been. Tortillas and calamari were just as tasty as I’d remembered.

Under 21 not allowed in. OP is looking for a family outing.

I suggest Metro Cafe. Serbian (or American) dishes. Outdoor seating possible. Culver City. Reasonable prices. The kids dig it too.

2 Likes

I would also recommend Bacoshop in Culver City maybe! It’s creative, but not too creative. They have tater tots and a grilled cheese that would make a picky kid happy, and some tantalizing things like coffee-rubbed steak bacos for the adults!

Brain fart thanks for pointing that out!

It’s old and not very exciting but Petrelli Steak House, in Culver City, sounds like it would meet your needs.

El Segundo is pretty close. Kagura on Main Street could work. But I’d call about a group of eight. We’ve done six in one of their booths. Neighboring booths could easily do 4+4.

father’s office and lukshon, iirc, do not allow modifications and would not be able to accommodate the kids.

petrelli steak house, aside from their lousy food (imho), does not meet the budget requirements.