Fantastic Falafel and Flavorful Chicken Shawarma and Pargiot - Legit Israeli Street Food at Ta-Eem Grill! [Thoughts + Pics]

Did you not get eggplant and fries at Ta-eem? Pretty sure you just have to ask. I’ve definitely gotten both on my shawarma laffa before.

Those soft, thick-cut fries are common at Israeli-style places. Ta-eem and Hummus Bar serve similar ones. Not my preference either.

They do get a nice sear, but it could also be skin. I’m pretty sure some places use skin to flavor the meat.

1 Like

Hi @onelabneh,

Glad you liked it overall. :slight_smile:

One note on their Hummus: They always serve it with Tahini on top (it looks very similar in color), so perhaps you had some of the more liquidy Tahini and thought it was all Hummus? Just a thought. :wink:

The Falafel: Interesting. The two times we had it it wasn’t too mushy at all, but I hope your experience was just an aberration, or if not, maybe we got lucky. Thanks!

Hi @Bigmouth,

I saw your recommendation earlier in this thread, but when we went, they never asked us for Eggplant or Fries. I will definitely give that a try next time. :wink: Thanks!

1 Like

I agree that their main weakness is the hummus. On its own, it is bland and lacks the right texture, but I find that it works within the falafel pita.

I was in New York and went to Dizengoff and the quality of the pita and hummus was just on another level.

1 Like

Agree with you both on this. Hummus is fine but nothing to phone home about.

Azuri in NY was my gold standard for hummus for many years (until Ezra stopped caring). But I have to say, the pics of the hummus at Dizgenoff look out of this world good!

BTW, have you all tried the Hummus Yummy truck? The hummus-tahini is pretty solid.

Dizengoff also bakes the pita on the spot and gives it to you straight out of the oven. So rare to get incredible pita and hummus, freshly made, from the same place. When I go to New York now, my 2 must visits are Dizengoff for pita and hummus and Prince Street for pizza.

I tried Hummus Yummy and thought it was quite good. It’s no Dizengoff.

Didn’t mean to suggest it was. I’ve never even been to Dizengoff.

I had Hummus Yummy at smorgasburg–my only critiques would be that it was a little bit bland to me, and the hot sauce was not great. But the texture was just right.

boomarked. if it’s on the same level as prince street I gotta go there.

Do any of these places grill over charcoal or wood?

I agree, though I personally wouldn’t mind it slightly coarser. Definitely needs salt and could maybe use some parsley.

The real star at Hummus Yummy is the tahini though. Tart and creamy.

It’s better. Not even close.

Different animals, but I’d put it this way. While both are must-eat for me when I visit New York, there are many great options for pizza in the city that are generally on par with Prince’s. Nothing is on par with Dizengoff for pita and hummus.

I’d trade every single one of the NYC-to-LA transplants coming in the next few months in exchange for getting a Dizengoff here.

1 Like

It’s been recommended on Eater for years :slight_smile:

can you remind me which listicle that was?

jay kay jay kay. thanks for the essential 23 hot dog stands fall 2017 edition.

:money_mouth_face:

1 Like

Split a Schawarma plate with a buddy the other night…insanely good

1 Like

Speaking of Tel Aviv Grill only here, the best way (which I found out last night) is to simply order the damn thing to-go to begin with. You get what seems like more of everything, and a million little containers for the sauces to boot.

1 Like

Update 1:

This was the third stop this past week, to be comforted by the great, stellar food we have in this city (after our trip up north changed our paradigm on certain dishes). I couldn’t wait to dig into some great comfort food…

Falafel Pita (Chickpea Beans, Fresh Herbs and Spices, Fried):

As with our previous 3 visits, the folks in the kitchen ask what Israeli Salads you’d like included with your Pita (we just ask for everything). :wink:

Biting into the fluffy, warm, toasty Pita Bread (which again tastes nothing like a typical dried-out husk of cardboard that most people think of when you think “Pita”), gives way to the crunchy exterior and moist interior of the Falafel, bound together by the creaminess of their Tahini and crunch of the various Israeli Salads added in…

it is just simply sublime! :heart:

The Falafel are incredible (as usual), and everything just comes together when you get a bite of it all. :blush:

Pargiot Plate (Grilled Chicken Thighs with Garlic and Onion, served with Hummus, Israeli Salads, White Cabbage, Parsley and Pita Bread):

I love their Shawarma, but thanks to @LAgirl’s recommendation, I think we love the Chicken Pargiot Plate even more. :wink: Just look at how juicy and succulent this looks:

The Sauteed Chicken Thighs, Onions and Garlic is simply delicious, well-seasoned, not too salty, moist, juicy, aromatic. :slight_smile:

We love taking one of their amazing, fresh-baked Pitas (delivered daily to Ta-Eem from a local Jewish bakery)…

Adding in the Red Cabbage Salad and a bit of the Pickles (or in another bite, some of the Curried Carrots):

A bit of their Housemade Hummus + Tahini Blend:

(Remember to ask for “Spicy” and ask for the Spicy Sauce on the Side, which gets you…)

Housemade Harissa + Housemade Skhug (Spice Mixture of Jalapeno Chilies, Garlic, and other Spices):

And taking a bite…

You get delectable, juicy, tender AWESOMENESS! :heart: :blush:

This is seriously SO GOOD! I can’t believe we’ve missed out on this for so long. :cry: :smile:

Oh! And thanks to @Bigmouth, we remembered to ask, and indeed Ta-Eem Grill also has…

Complimentary Grilled Eggplant:

This was delicious! Lightly spiced, tender, slightly smoky Roasted Eggplant. Wow! :slight_smile:

@Ns1 and all, you can also ask for an extra Pita (or 2) and they were happy to provide it, free of charge (whereas at Tel Aviv Grill, they charge $1 for every extra Pita, and they only gave us 1 per order (here it’s 4 per order and extras were free)).

Ta-Eem Grill remains such a great, casual place to dig into crispy, crunchy, but moist interior Falafel, even tastier Chicken Shawarma and their Chicken Pargiot Plate, fantastic Israeli Salads (complimentary with each plate order), and great, fluffy, warm toasty Pitas! The QPR is insane: We could order just 1 Chicken Pargiot (or Shawarma) Plate and there’s enough food to feed 2 - 3 people at $16.95. :open_mouth:

But most important, this is just great food. The combination of the Housemade Skhug & Harissa, Chicken Pargiot (or Shawarma or the Falafel), some of the Red Cabbage Salad (or other Israeli Salads of your choice) with the Fresh, Toasty Pita = one of the Best Bites of 2017! :heart:

Hours
Sun - Thurs: 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Fri: 10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed Friday Evening and Saturdays.

Ta-Eem Grill
7422 Melrose Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90046
Tel: (323) 944-0013

http://ta-eemgrillinc.com/home.html

7 Likes

Looks delicious! After seeing that photo, I’m getting a Taeem craving!

(yes, w/ the included large assortment of salads, “spreads” and pita the “plate order” is 3 meals for me. just a ton of yummy food. If I’m just looking for 1 meal, I’ll get either the schwarma or pargiot pita and that’s still a hefty portion)

2 Likes