Fantastic Falafel and Flavorful Chicken Shawarma and Pargiot - Legit Israeli Street Food at Ta-Eem Grill! [Thoughts + Pics]

I wish. No the olive oil was on top, the hummus was a loose vomity mess. Probably too much tahini when they made it. I can’t believe I forgot about that.

I’m convinced I caught them on a REALLY bad day.

1 Like

Although it does sound like @Gr8pimpin is talking about poorly made hummus, it’s not uncommon to get hummus topped with tahini sauce at Israeli-style places. I’ve also seen hummus and tahini served together separately at many middle-eastern places generally.

It does seem like that’s what happened. Such a bummer.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’ve never encountered that. Not my idea of a good idea.

It’s common for Middle Eastern Dagwood sandwiches to have tahina sauce on top of hummus and everything.

Have you ever gotten a combo plate at Zankou? I actually prefer their tahini to their hummus.

That’s so funny @Bigmouth I too, really like the tahini at Zankou - my order is always 1/2 chicken (which comes with an adequate pita) and two of the little plastic tahinis (because 1 is not enough, and I not a garlic sauce fan).

I know I like the tahini much more than the hummus, and I am pretty sure I even like it more than the chicken (which i need to douse in the tahini because it is often dried out and flavorless).

1 Like

I haven’t had Zankou in some time. But I’m in agreement with both @Bigmouth and @CiaoBob about the hummus v tahini sauce.
Zankou makes pretty awful hummus.

My original point was that in all my hummus-wiping days here or my brief visit in Israel, I’ve never encountered a restaurant intentionally topping hummus with tahini sauce. The twain certainly meet, but as a mindful topping? Very odd, IMO.

Anyways . . . this thread drift has been brought to you by Frommtron, the poster who gets caught up in pointless minutiae!

1 Like

Hahahaha yes! I actually like their garlic sauce but rate the tahini ahead of it, too. Have you tried the chicken tarna? I much prefer it to the rotisserie chicken, which I’m not a fan of personally. A plate comes with a large portion of tahini on the side.

Truth lol. I’m going to start asking them for double tahini instead of hummus.

I mean, it’s not out of the realm of possibility you wouldn’t have encountered this before. But yeah, not at all uncommon. Off the top of my head, the special hummus at Hummus Bar & Grill comes with tahini, olive oil, and parsley on top. It’s similar at the Hummus-Yummy Truck, where you can order several different toppings for your hummus, only one of which is tahini.

The idea is you then mix it all together yourself. I actually prefer it this way myself.

That’s why we’re here! Well me, anyway.

2 Likes

nope
I was always “afraid” of it assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that the less they messed with anything the better.
I once tried the falafel and have not been able to shake the vile memory.

I’ll jump in on this too----I haven’t been to Zankou in at least 5 years, but I found the tarna to be much better than the rotisserie chicken as well. The rotisserie chicken can often be dry and at least the tarna has sauce (I assume tahini + the “famous” garlic sauce) on the chicken (and if I remember correctly salad veggies too?) to give it some moisture. The schwarma pita @ Falafel Arax is a close cousin to the Zankou tarna but with much more flavor.

1 Like

FINALLY got to try Taeem. What a place! Got the shawarma plate with my dad and still had leftovers to take home. Delicious tender chicken (I’m assuming it’s made from dark meat?) with the most amazing pita bread. After the meal, I went up to the counter to get a to go box and order an extra pita, and to my surprise, they don’t charge for extra pita breads, even if you’re taking it home!

3 Likes

Believe it’s a combo of both.

Hi @tailbacku,

So glad you liked Ta-Eem Grill! :slight_smile: Yah it’s really nice they don’t charge you extra if you wanted a few more of their great Pita to go (or even eating in).

Pargiot forever

1 Like

Had the pargiot today at taeem … took too long to prepare ( friend was half way done with his shawarma). while it was good, I prefer shawarma to flat top grilled thighs and onions. the trompa adds something something to the mix (wish they’d kick the temp up a bit)

heartburn every time after taeem because i cant say no to fried eggplant, tahini etc

2 Likes

finally went with someone ready to share food… and that Hummus Fava bean dish is noooo joke… really amazing… supposedly breakfast for israelis .

shawarma schmawarma

4 Likes

How many people will that dip feed??? It looks HUGE.

it’s a full order… very big. i’d say 4 lol have half of it left and there were 2 of us sharing

Had the pargiot today, for probably the 7th time in a row. Can’t go back to the shawerma too juicy and tender

5 Likes

it’s just grilled thighs with onions yo… let’s keep cool heads :slight_smile: