Fantastic Fast-Casual Pasta - Uovo (Santa Monica) [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

9 Likes

IMHO, this is a very apt way to compare to Pasta Sisters vs. Uovo. Pasta Sister feels like you’re eating at someone’s home (and I don’t mean the ambiance); Uovo has a (much) more “commercial” feel to its prep. I do think Pasta Sisters bolongese has a greater depth of flavor but, sometimes, I don’t mind a light prep (Uovo’s food didn’t make me feel like taking a nap afterward).

I really liked the cacio e pepe at Hostaria del Piccolo (and much more than the one at Uovo). But one at Uovo hits the spot well enough for me. :slight_smile: Agree that the ragu is way better.

Only tried Bulgarini’s pasta once maybe 2 yrs ago. Really liked it, but I actually Uovo better (but would place Pasta Sisters ahead of both).

Lots of people ordered the ravioli last night. Hope it was better than yours! :frowning:

Glad you liked the broccolini!!! :slight_smile: Will have to try the cauliflower next time.

2 Likes

Great report, as always. The tortellini en brodo looks sounds wonderful. My son really likes that dish, it’s not very commonly found at restaurants. I’ll probably take him to Uovo as soon as the weather cools off a bit (and hopefully the crowds ease up a bit).

1 Like

I would like the tortellini in brodo . Maybe it’s time to turn back the clock in the food world . Simply hard food to cook with great flavor . Unpretentious with great taste . Stacking , overdressed plates , showmanship just gets in the way for me . That dish says it all.

3 Likes

Good / reasonable wines available by the glass? For me that is a key element of a pasta meal.

1 Like

Thanks @paranoidgarliclover. Yah, overall for a lunch pasta spot? I think Uovo stacks up really well against what’s available - it’s very fast, decent QPR, good quality Pasta & Sauces, just not the best, but sometimes you don’t have time to drive out to the better places (in this case, Uovo on the Westside is awesome for convenience). :slight_smile:

Definitely try the Cauliflower next time, and thanks for the heads up on Hostaria del Piccolo’s Cacio e Pepe. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Bookwich. :slight_smile: Yah I really liked the Tortellini en Brodo, hope you get a chance to try it and let me know what you think. For lunch it was only about 50% full? (We didn’t have to wait, but @paranoidgarliclover’s visit at dinner sounds like it’s much more busy.)

Hi @DTLAeater,

So far they have:

White
Pinot Gregio$ 7 | 28
Bertani Valente

Vermentino$ 9 | 36
Belguardo

Sauvignon Blanc$ 11 | 44
Torre Rosazza

Chardonnay$ 14 | 56
Planeta

Red
Chianti Superiore$ 8 | 32
Castel Trebbio

Barbera D’Alba$ 10 | 40
Pio Cesare

Corvina Blend$ 12 | 48
Bertani Secco

Super Tuscan$ 16 | 64
Grattamacco Bolgheri Rosso

I’m not a wine expert, so I leave that up to you and others to decide if that’s a good deal or not. Thanks.

2 Likes

All I know is if kazunori or this uovo joint opened up in studio city, it would print money for the owner.

I mean Novo Cafe is fine…but this sounds amazing.

2 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

Yah I agree. :slight_smile: They’ve taken lessons learned from Sugarfish and in terms of relative quality (Sugarfish sushi vs. best sushi, compared to Uovo pasta vs. best pasta), I’d say Uovo is performing much better. Just good quality, tasty sauces (sans the ravioli).

yay!

1 Like

I believe both branches have been closed for some time.

1 Like

Yes, was about to write that to @Chowseeker1999. SaMo one has been closed for 2 yrs already. :frowning: Which is why I need to get my cacio e pepe elsewhere… ::sigh::

1 Like

I am also not a wine expert, but freaking 800 Degrees charges $12 for a glass of sickeningly sweet, basically undrinkable Chardonnay, so I would say Uovo is a good deal. :wink:

1 Like

will check out uovo eventually but not jumping at it. If it were in west Hollywood would def go much more quickly. Judging from the reports I will be hitting pasta sisters for a more casual and looking forward to my sat night res at Felix this weekend :smiley: (4th visit)

2 Likes

Hi @skramzlife,

Yah. It’s not worth driving halfway around town for, but if you were in the neighborhood, it’s definitely worth considering if you were in the mood for quality pasta for lunch. :wink: Hope you have a good visit to Felix & Pasta Sisters. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh snap, I completely missed your review. I’ll post a link to mine here.

The Amatriciana was our favorite too. Completely agree re the wonderfully porky guancale.

Also agree 100% about the cacio e pepe’s needing more of a pepper punch. And maybe a little more cheese?

Such a bummer reading that the raviolis were overcooked. They looked so good on the plate. I was looking forward to trying them.

We totally agree re the cauliflower. As great as the broccolini was – and it was great – the cauliflower was even more amazing.

1 Like

Hi @Bigmouth,

Nice thoughts! Glad you liked Uovo. Yah it’s a really nice addition to the area. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went here - well, a Bang Bang with HiHo next door - Saturday night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

We had the Amatriciana and the Tagliatelle. Both hit the spot.

I don’t know that I would make a drive, specifically, for this, but certainly when in the ‘hood I’ll swing by.

2 Likes

I hate to necro a 3y/o thread, but I’m too shy to post my own. Uovo continually manages to be the most disappointing pasta experience of my life, which is perhaps notable in its own right. It’s pasta. How badly could one fuck it up?

The first time I went, I sat at the bar and marveled at their automated pasta cookers–lowering and raising individual servings of pasta with a precision that Andrew Yang, years later, would warn us about. I ordered the cacio e pepe–a solid way to judge the basics of a restaurant(/chef? as if there’s even a name behind this joint?). I then marveled as the waiter dunked a plastic spoon into a large bin of pre-grated parmesan, ala Kraft, ladling it merrily over the dish before serving it.

Shit tasted like straight up foot. (I hesitate to say that because it’s an insult to feet everywhere, but I lack better words.) It was all the funk of a sock, immediately following a heavy gym session, without any nuance or redeeming qualities. I ordered a couple other dishes, but despite their generally poor quality, I can’t even remember a single one of them because of the taste of diabetes feet. Or maybe gout. I’m not an expert on feet.

I went back once after and ordered the spinach ravioli they had–so forgettable I’m not even sure it was spinach now. Dish was served surprisingly cold in a bed of tepid water. It did not disappoint, in the sense that I expected it to be wildly disappointing.

I like to give places three tries before writing them off, so against my better judgment, I Postmate’d the vongole tonight. That shit was the crunchiest fucking bowl of pasta I’ve ever had (perhaps a boon if you enjoy sharp texture contrasts). It’s like they didn’t even bother to give the clams a cursory rinse to try and rid them of sand. 1/3 of them hadn’t opened after steaming. The nicest thing I can say about it was that they included a stainless steel fork in the bag. They have a baked-in 16% fee on top of Postmates’s usual bullshit, by the way.

The only people I personally know who’ve said positive things about Uovo have only ever sauced from a jar. Hell, for “fast-casual,” I’d put any of the offerings at Eataly miles ahead of them.

I’d go in on Pasta Sisters, but that place isn’t worth the oxygen required to activate a single brain cell to think about.

Fuck Uovo.

1 Like