can’t figure out the consensus here over all of the posts… need an izakaya for next week hopefully around these parts.
the consensus is go, go often, and order everything.
Yeah, I thought the consensus was that everything here is pretty f*cking delicious. Only went once, but I agree w/ myself here.
One of the few places in LA that we have a consensus on.
Oh yeah, Stinking Rose too…
which part is confusing?
I would recommend that you give it a try. Raku is our favorite Izakaya in L.A. right now, and better than all the Izakaya we’ve tried so far in SF as well. Let me know if you need any recommendations.
yes please. reservation already booked… chef’s table and whatever you tell me to eat i’ll eat.
Original post was luke-warm on a couple of items but yes, I saw overwhelming joy. lol
I’m not sure if this is still the case but when they first opened they had 2 different specials board. They would randomly select which board to bring to a table. You’d only see 1 but not both unless you specifically asked. If you see two chalk boards on the floor ask to see both specials and order everything from each board along with all of the other selections recommended.
Nice! OK, some recommendations:
- Agedashi Tofu (Housemade fresh every day)
- Ken2 Salad - Pretty delicious Japanese Salad with Crispy Chicken Skin, Konbu, Asajime Free-Range Chicken and more.
- Juicy Deep-Fried Asajime Chicken
- Poached Egg with Sea Urchin and Salmon Roe
- Sashimi (on the Specials Chalk Board) - Definitely order either the Kanpachi or Shima-Aji Sashimi to start. Enjoy outstanding, fresh fish, Sashimi that’s superior to most Sushi Bars(!), served here at “just” an Izakaya / Japanese Pub.
- Kurobuta Pork Belly - Stewed. Delicious.
Their Yakitori / Kushiyaki (Grilled Chicken, Meats and Veggies on Skewers) cooked over Japanese Binchotan Charcoal is outstanding.
Note they use Asajime Chicken, which means the Free-Range Chickens they use are dispatched the same day as them serving it. There’s a real poultry distinct taste to the Chicken (not the bland, tasteless “white meat” that we’re used to).
From the Skewers section (back of the menu):
Asajime Chicken Thigh
Chicken Breast (it’s wrapped with a bit of crisped up Chicken Skin)
Any of the Mushrooms
Asajime Chicken Wings
Foie Gras Egg Custard - Chawan Mushi
Yellowtail Belly - Grilled (or Salmon Belly if they don’t have Yellowtail)
Kama meshi - Iron Pot Rice with Salmon & Salmon Roe - OFF MENU - Great way to finish the meal.
Some pics of the stuff in the top thread, and here are some more pics: