Fantastic Japanese Tapas (Izakaya) hits West Hollywood - Aburiya RAKU - pictures

What were the dark things in the dish with the scallops?

File under “innards” of the scallop, and in looking up an anatomy chart, it appears to be the digestive gland. It’s all edible and quite delicious. Overall the scallop prep looks identical to the Karatsuke Hotate (giant scallops also from East Coast when I last asked) that Iroriya serves in Santa Clara (robatayaki).

Scallop roe is particularly delicious and I find it bizarre that I so rarely see it in the US.

Holbox

I think you just broke the Internet.

Hi @Starchtrade,

Bummer to hear about your last visit (w/ the service not that good). Hm… we’ve had a couple visits where the waiter was not very responsive (and forgetful). But that’s an aberration in comparison to all of the other times we’ve been (over 30 times).

Hi @beefnoguy,

Thanks for the great info as always! :slight_smile: I’ll try to remember to seek out more Sake with Bizen Omachi rice as a comparison.

And that’s fascinating info about the Nakadori / Umaguchi labels on the Born Muroka Nama Genshu Junmai Daiginjo Sake we had (I’m still thinking about that Sake). :slight_smile:

I hope you get a chance to try the Okunomutsu - Juhachidai Ihei - Daiginjo Shizukuzake one of these days. I’d love to get your thoughts on it. :slight_smile:

Where is @Porthos when you need him?

Your meals and report look epically delicious @Chowseeker1999!

Thanks @TheCookie. Have you tried the crispy chicken yet? & Didn’t you have a follow up you were going to tell us about? :wink:

Here’s another Bizen Omachi rice Junmai Ginjo sake (by Muromachi) that’s very good, accessible, and easy to like

https://www.urbansake.com/sake/muromachi-bizen-maboroshi-junmai-ginjo/

Should be easy to find in Southern California (try Marukai first then if not Mitsuwa but probably Costa Mesa or Torrance) and last I recall within $30 or less, good with izakaya type food and even with sushi.

Hi @Chowseeker1999 -

I don’t think we’ve tried the Crispy Chicken. Come to think of it I’m not sure we’ve had the Asajimi Thighs either! We better get on this.

Question: did you mix your Tsukune (Ground Asajimi Chicken) in with the Onsen Tamago?

I like how you’re ordering individual Sashimi. I’ve been thinking of doing this to help improve my abilities to discern. The Sampler is divine, but sometimes I get confused and am loathe to ask the servers to keep repeating themselves.

Hah! Yes I have a couple mini reports to do. I didn’t take pictures of everything and need to find the receipts to jog my memory.

P.S. Thanks for the Tedorigawa Kinka rec. We might actually have had it on our last visit. Find those receipts Cookie!

Hi @TheCookie,

Yes, you definitely need to try the Asajime Crispy Chicken. It’s like a nice, refined version of Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken). :slight_smile:

And definitely try the chicken thigh skewers.

Yes, you break open the Onsen Tamago soft boiled egg, and dip in the Tsukune meat ball. :slight_smile:

I’ll be the voice of dissent and say this did nothing for me - I’m not a “runny egg makes everything better” kinda guy and this did not change my mind.

Hi @Ns1,

Yeah it’s just as delicious by itself.