Fantastic Japanese Tapas (Izakaya) hits West Hollywood - Aburiya RAKU - pictures

and depending on the restaurant too.

like the wine or sake list is at play.

maybe a deeper wine list will offer it at a slight discount while another restaurant with a more slimmed down list will offer it at a higher price.

and some joints even offer up loss leaders on say their one designated sake.

Btw, is there such a thing as “good” hot sake, or would that be the ultimate contradiction in terms

Hot sake is not inherently bad because it’s hot. However, what’s regarded as the best sakes are often sakes served cold, even if on a few occasions a restaurant may recommend warm sake paired with a specific dish.

Historically, serving sake hot had the effect of masking impurities. This was exploited at times, and in turn there became somewhat of a stigma around hot sake and there was a growing notion that cold sakes are better quality. In America, that’s often the case. The early imports in the 70’s/80’s of “Sho Chiku Bai hot sake” (i.e. the cheap, headache-inducing stuff) further contributed to this stigma of hot sake being bad. The point is that bad sake makes bad hot sake. It’s much easier to tell flaws when sake is cold; there’s less to hide behind, and sake is so much about purity, balance, and elegance. Many people, myself included, also find cold sake preferable as its taste profile is more fitting to the elements of what makes sake great and it often allows the sakes to better demonstrate its qualities. What that has translated to over time is that the overwhelming majority of the best sakes are served cold. Sakes can be very versatile - moreso than wine, for instance - but sakes have their particular “sweet spot” when it comes to temperature. Also, production of the best sakes tends to favor for cold sake. However, note that some sakes which are usually drunken cold are even able to even be enjoyed warm. I wouldn’t mind an Otokoyama “Tokubetsu” Junmai warmed for a casual meal in Winter. But I wouldn’t heat the best junmai daiginjos. All this to say that hot sake is not necessarily bad due to its temperature, but you’re probably more likely to find better sakes served cold, especially in America. So much so that in the States, it’s generally wise to avoid hot sake unless you’re at a legit sushi bar or washokuya that specifically recommends a warmed sake.

Short answer: it’s not necessarily the temperature, but the sake, that makes hot sake less popular and regarded as inferior. While some sakes may be warmed and still be good, most of the best sakes are served cold. Also, avoid Sho Chiku Bai hot sake.

3 Likes

Last week at Mitsuwa Costa Mesa, the going rate was $113 ish a bottle. My local Chinese supermarket up here has it for $135, and True Sake San Francisco retails it $150 or more. So given West Hollywood and brand name, amongst other factors, $248 is a pretty high x2 markup,

Dassai Beyond is $600 at Hi Time…Sawa Sushi’s price, $1200. Pabu (San Francisco) and Sushi Nakazawa (NY) maybe $1200 to $1500. But only $900 at Kinjiro. Dassai 23, $72.99 at Mitsuwa Costa Mesa, $80 something up here Nijiya. $150 to $190 at the one Michelin star San Francisco restaurants

1 Like

Fresh sake, which you can only taste at certain places in Japan (particularly in the cities where the sake breweries are located), are typically hot. Apparently these are kind of those life time experiences one should try to partake. The hot sake you see at the shops over here are not so good for the most part (particularly if you get a free hot sake from checking in with the Yelp app…)

The Koshi No Kanbai line of sake, particularly the Daiginjo and Junmai Daiginjo bottles, actually recommend serving them room temperature or warm. Cold they are already fantastic, but it never hurts to heed the advice of the brewers themselves. I actually tried calling one of the restaurants in the OC that has the Kinmuku Junmai Daiginjo and asked if they could sell the bottle to go, and was denied. On a side note, the Daiginjo has a mill ratio of only 30%, much lower than the Junmai Daiginjo which is either 35 or 40%. Can’t really go wrong with this sake cold or warm.

Which fucking restaurant in OC did you contact for sake to go ???

Thanks man.

@markambrose73 thanks so much! Very informative. :smile:

Great point about Kubota Manjyu - I’ve seen that all over the place for prices. I just never thought of Otokoyama as being that prone to sliding scale markups.

Fantastic report, thanks so much. Can’t wait to try this place.

Do you mind sharing prices of each dish?

Thanks @tailbacku :smile:

Well there were quite a few dishes, LOL. I’ll try and list out a few…

Raku’s Tofu (1/2): $4
Agedashi Tofu (1/2): $8.5
Popeye’s Salad: 9
Ken2 Salad: 12
Steamed Foie Gras Egg Custard: 12
Kurobuta Pork Belly: 13
Asajime Chicken Thigh Skewers: 3
Asajime Chicken Breast: 3
Tsukune-Grilled Ground Asajime Chicken: 3.50
Kobe Beef Tendon: 4
Teriyaki Kurobuta Pork Ribs: 7
Grilled Pork Ears: 4
Tomato wrapped in Bacon: 3
Dassai 50 Junmai Daiginjo Sake (Bottle): 45
Kikusui Perfect Snow Nigori Sake (Bottle (S)): 17

The amazing specials like Kanpachi Sashimi were not on the regular menu (didn’t keep my receipt).

Looking forward to your thoughts when you visit! (and don’t forget to order from the specials menu :smile:

Next time keep your fucking receipts and the menus for fucking crying out loud.

:slight_smile:

@kevin we just need to rely on you for remembering the specials menu pricing. :stuck_out_tongue: When are you going to try it out? :wink:

Went for the third time last night. Food was great. But the service continues to be downright bad. Slow and inattentive. Requests for water fell on dear ears. Had to ask for the specials board and our server couldn’t really explain the items show. Charged for an item we did not receive. When it was time to get the check, our lackluster server was seen having a extended chat with a table across the room, while his colleagues were doing busy work around the room. Mind you, the place was only about 25% full at this point. It’s a shame since the food is so good and it’s only a few blocks from my place. It appears that since my first visit that their management is not too invested in working on their customer service issues.

1 Like

I’ve only been to the LV location, but never had anything above adequate service, so I wouldn’t expect much improvement. Last visit the server did not speak English, so I just pointed to the menu.

The food makes it worth it for me, so few misses after dozens of dishes.

@djquinnc bummer about the service.

Both times we went, the servers were nice and we got all of our food. Asked for refills on tea a couple times, and our tea cups were promptly refilled. Other times throughout the night, they came by to check on tea levels without us asking. No issues, but perhaps it might depend on which servers on working on a particular night?

On my last visit - the Pig Ears were sensational.

1 Like

has anybody ordered the fucking omakase? is it just dishes off the alc menu or is it all off-menu?

I will say that on our former board, it was highly highly recommended to not order the omakase

1 Like

Yeah their omakase is honestly pretty crappy compared to a la carte

Thanks @Ns1 @ilykejordans for the warning. I like ordering the dishes that we know are great. :wink:

Another great meal at raku and thanks to @Chowseeker1999 i got the tendon, tasted like a delicous meat jello, and the pig intestines. #imanoffalperson

The kanpachi was so fresh it signed an endorsement deal with febreze

Tsukune

Pork cheeks

Pig intestines

Agedashi tofu

Beef tendon

Kanpachi kama

Foie gras egg custard

9 Likes