Favorite Charcuterie Shops (To Go)?

Yes they do. My bad. I was starting to lose steam and just grabbed a jar off the shelf. But still, they should probably do some inventory. These were pretty old.

Thanks again for the recs. They were definite highlights!

Sorry, she going to be living at my house. The lower level is basically a 1300 sq. ft. space. I can turn the laundry room into her kitchen!

1 Like

Super late to this conversation. As much of a Milkfarm fan as I am, Guidi Marcello in SaMo takes the cake. If you’re an Eastsider, you can sometimes request their product at the Italian booth at the South Pas Farmer’s market.

1 Like

Good addition @chewchow. It seems really big! I like that they have a product list on their website. It’s hard to imagine how places like this and Epicurus Gourmet keep up with all their inventory.

Small, but quite nice, Cheesemongers of Sherman Oaks has some good meats, and more, even better cheeses. Right on Ventura Blvd, quite convenient for South Valley denizens…

2 Likes

BIG - that’s funny.
It’s not big, its tiny, but they do stuff a lot into a small space.

1 Like

Charcuterie To Go

3 Likes

Groundhog Day? No, my birthday and a very kick back one too. We did another Monsieur Marcel To Go Board…

It’s almost the same as Valentine’s Day, but we switched out the Truffle Brie for slices of Duck Mousse w/Port. I’m loving the Persillé de Chèvre (blue, goat, soft, silky, cream). It is a great blue for cheese boards - enough strong blue taste for blue lovers but not too strong for the crowd. I like they’re Fig Walnut Spread. I don’t know if they make or buy it but there is nothing boring about this one - it has texture and a soft, nutty crunch.

Bread was either fresh baked or reheated. It came warm.

Baguette, Turkey, Brie, Strawberry, Basil

They are really featuring strawberries in their food right now and they are :kissing_heart:.

11 Likes

Happy belayed birthday, @TheCookie !!

2 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Happy Birthday! :slight_smile: And wow, Blue Goat Cheese? On paper it sounds like it could be really pungent, but as you reported back, it sounds nicely balanced. I’ll have to try that next time I’m there. :slight_smile: Thanks.

1 Like

Happy birthday, @TheCookie!

7 Likes

Happy Belated Birthday! :birthday:

1 Like

Happy b-day!!!

That baguette looks divine.

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

It’s our anniversary month too (finally going to Republique). I’ve basically made peace with my pants getting too tight in Feb. followed by salads and walking up hills in March. My other consolation is I was born late and wasn’t named Valentina - in California? Not a blink. New England? :rofl:

Perfect @Bookwich, haha. I tried to get hubby to bring home our semi-annual KFC cheat the other day (includes a pot pie). Okay, yes, I had a slight hangover. He brought home fried chicken and a frozen Boston Market pot pie from Ralphs (mid-wilshire) instead. :smirk: But I understand. PSA for locals - there’s a guy at Ralphs who does a really good job on the chicken. It’s not the highest quality, but he gets a really good fry on it and doesn’t over-cook or over-salt. It’s time stamped and “This batch was was right out of the fryer”.

Anyway, blue cheese. I bought The Book of Cheese by Liz Thorpe a while back and when I come across a tasty cheese I look it up. She says blue is not A cheese. Good blue cheese is about cheese first then the blue. And goat cheese, etc. doesn’t necessarily have one texture or consistency. Goat cheese can also have a silky, fudge or runny consistency (brie). This is probably what makes Humboldt Fog brilliant - it highlights all of this. Anyway, if you come across the Persillé de Chèvre @Chowseeker1999 and it has a darker rind (more aged & more moisture inside) try it. I think it’s rather special.

Can you tell I like cheese? I could actually go on…

2 Likes

Happy birthday!

1 Like

I cut and pasted your comment into my notes for future reference. This is going to be handy next Christmas.

Update:

Christmas ended up being a blur of hosting and events, I totally forgot to post about this, sorry. First off a big Thank You! to everyone who chimed in with suggestions for Charcuterie and Cheese selections! :slight_smile: Thanks @ebethsdad @ipsedixit @nashwill @Local @frommtron @aaqjr @hungryhungryhippos and others.

Despite it being so close to us, we have been avoiding Eataly for the longest time, hearing about the awful parking situation and mixed reports from everyone. I originally really wanted to go, but after the crazy reports here on FTC, it felt like a zoo I didn’t want to visit. But with this new Charcuterie need, we decided to stop by there first (since it was closest)…

Parking was indeed a madhouse. The Century City Parking Lot was completely full and they directed everyone to park in surrounding parking lots! Ugh. :frowning: At this point, we so just felt like driving away to other suggestions on this thread, but stuck it out and found parking in a neighboring lot.

Walking in, I can see the appeal of Eataly. It has so many different food-related “stations”, for Wine, Butchery, Imported Canned & Dry Goods and a plethora of Restaurant / Food Stalls.

But we were here for Charcuterie and Cheese selections. We had to remind ourselves to stay focused… :wink:

There was a line to get to the Charcuterie counter. 15+ minutes later, we arrived at the front. Luckily the person at the counter was super nice. He let us sample multiple cuts of Charcuterie and a few Cheeses as well (@TheCookie), so that made choosing the right cuts a bit easier (and tastier). :slight_smile:

They had 10 different types of Prosciutto alone, and some interesting offerings from various regions we hadn’t tried before:

We ended up getting for our Christmas Charcuterie Board:

• Bresaola (Beef Charcuterie) from Washington: This was a recommendation by the person behind the counter, he said it was his favorite cut and it was indeed deeply beefy and flavorful. A nice contrast to the other Pork products. :slight_smile:

• Soppressata: They had a beautiful, lightly spicy Soppressata.

• Salami (forgot the exact name): I thought I had the receipt still, but couldn’t find it, but the nice charcuterie person recommended a Salami from a North American provider, and it was deeply porky and perfect to contrast with the other 2 selections. :slight_smile:

Then we chose a few Cheeses as well:

I believe the person said Eataly carries over 200(!) different types of Cheeses, which makes it a nice place to get all your choices done if you were short on time.

We ended up sampling and then getting:

• Ossau-Iraty: A French-Basque Sheep’s Milk Cheese. This was wonderful! I loved the slightly funky flavor (like many Sheep’s Milk Cheeses), but mellows out and has a creaminess as you eat it. This was lovely! :heart:

• Moses Sleeper (Jasper Hill Creamery): This Cow’s Milk Brie-Style Cheese was a hit at our dinner party. :slight_smile: So creamy, spreadable and devoured within the first 30 minutes of us putting it out, LOL.

• Honeywax (San Pietro): From Vento, Italy, this Cow’s Milk Cheese is prepared and then coated in Beeswax to age and finish. The end result was incredible! :heart: Most of our FTC Cheese Masters probably know about this, but we hadn’t tried this before until now. There’s a good creamy, cheese foundation of course, but the finish is this incredible subtle Honey Beeswax flavor. This was another hit at the party. :blush: (@TheCookie)

We were only planning to pop in to try and see what we might get and try some of the other places like @ipsedixit and @Local’s recommended Milkfarm, but they were already sold out for the holidays (we called) and then Eataly sucked us in, but actually had enough selection (and free samples, letting us try a variety of Charcuterie and Cheeses before buying) that we ended up getting everything we needed here. :slight_smile:

Was it worth fighting the horrendous Holiday parking and crazy crowds? I’m not sure, but it all worked out in the end. Thanks @frommtron and everyone again! :blush:

Eataly L.A.
(in the Century City Mall)
10250 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90067
Tel: (213) 310-8000

7 Likes

If the charcuterie was from Seattle, there’s a good chance it came from Batali’s father’s salumeria business. It was on my list to check out, but I never made it due to time constraints. From reports, I hear it’s very good.
I love Ossau-Iraty, too! I source mine from Epicurus in North Hollywood…the pricing is terrific there.

3 Likes

I think the key to happiness parking for Eatily is to go to the Side lot off of Avenue of the Stars I think it is. Pretty sure it was @ipsedixit who mentioned it and in makes getting in and out MUCH easier.

1 Like

Thanks @attran99. :slight_smile: That’s good to know about the Seattle salumeria. I’ll have to ask next time, or if you get a chance to stop by, sample it (for free) and see what you think. :slight_smile:

And yes, Epicurus was our next stop, but after spending so much time in Eataly on that day, and thankfully they had plenty of choices for Charcuterie and Cheeses, we got everything we needed and just went home wiped out, LOL. I definitely want to try Epicurus soon.

3 Likes