Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Yes, you can use whipping cream when a recipe calls for heavy cream. However, I wouldn’t use shelf stable cream at all. Ultra-pasteurizing gives cream a grainy texture and a chalky flavor.

One of the few products I like at Trader Joe’s is the cream that is pasteurized, not ultra-pasteurized. It has a sweet, clean flavor and a lovely texture. I use it to make homemade caramels in addition to using it whenever I want whipped cream. Warning, it has a short shelf life.

Thanks SO much. What about in something like this?

Yes, the pasteurized (not ultra-pasteurized) cream would be perfect for that recipe. Enjoy.

Thanks. I don’t generally keep cream on hand so this would be a nice addition to my ‘just got home and nothing to cook.’

When I lived in Italy I used to keep UHT cream on hand. It was good for cooking.

You can substitute whipping cream for heavy cream if you don’t mind the additives.

As an aside, when you lived in Italy, is that how milk was packaged? In Rio, so I assume all of Brazil, all milk is in tetrapaks, and maximum of one liter. Most was room temp but they kept some refrigerated. I’ve never thought to ask anyone if kids don’t guzzle milk :slight_smile:

In Italy, both shelf-stable and refrigerated fresh milk come in used to come in boxes. Fresh now comes in plastic bottles or in cartons with screwcaps.

http://www.centralelattediroma.it/tipologia/latte/

I add a dollop of yoghurt