Favorites at Trader Joe's?

Thanks much. I’ll look for it.

Shawarma Chicken Thighs - doesn’t taste like shawarma, but tasty.

Thai-style Carrot & Sweet Potato Soup - Kinda bland, but I doctored it up with some Red Boat, chili powder, lime, and more coconut milk and it turned out well.

Chocolate Whole Milk - I already mentioned it up there somewhere, but it’s just so rich and delicious that I’m gonna mention it again.

Oven-Baked Cheese Bites - So addictive. Much better than Moon Cheese, imo.

Honeycrisp Apple Candle - Ok, it’s not food but it smells so damn good that I want to eat it.

2 Likes

HA! We also like those Chicken Shawarma. I even made them for my mom who is really picky and she loved them…

Usually we serve with a cucumber salad with Red Onion, Cherry Tomatoes and their Israeli Feta. Their Frozen Naan. Their Mediterrean Hummus and Fluffy Garlic Paste. Great meal…

We mainly do them on the grill… but during the week I have used a grill pan with great success. Get an oil sprayer for the grill. We really like this one. The mist isn’t super fine, but it works so much better than those constantly breaking Mistos…

1 Like

I had a grill pan years ago—but eventually got rid of it. I found that there was too much splattering (due to the shallowness of the pan) and the end result wasn’t that much different that cooking the protein in a really hot non-grill pan. (I really miss my weber kettle and having a yard)

I got rid of my grill pan also. Use my CI skillet instead.

I did another taste-off of cheap whites.

Babich Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2017, $9
The Pass Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2017, $8
Picton Bay Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc 2017, $7
Claire Patelin Côtes de Gascogne Sauvignon Blanc 2017, $6
McGregor “Deliciious Monster” blend 2017, $6

The Picton Bay was an easy winner. In my July taste-off it tied with the $6 Tuatea, but I haven’t seen it again.

We like the Picton Bay too, but our TJs carry a Les Portes de Bordeaux Saha Blanc that is also quite good b

I haven’t seen that one. “The Pass” is also quite good and I like it better than the Babich or Sauvignon Republic.

Stupid thumbs! Obviously that’s SAUV Blanc.

Unsweetened packs of frozen acai. About 40% cheaper compared to Sambazon.

Frozen naan for emergency food.

2 Likes

For $7, I also prefer the Picton Bay to Costco’s Kirkland Ti Point.

This should probably go in the confessions thread also, but I really like TJ’s seasonal $3 black truffle butter in the little black tubs. So far I’ve used it on steak, pasta, and grilled cheese sandwiches.

4 Likes

Steak and ale pies in the freezer section, while available year round, are a holiday eating staple for me. At $6.50 for two, they cost more than I typically spend for frozen convenience foods, but these are truly a treat. The butter crust bakes up deliciously in my toaster oven, and each pie is chock full of hearty beef and vegetable chunks in a rich beef and ale gravy. Nice enough to serve to company.

4 Likes

Hatch chile mac n cheese is good. A distinct pepper flavor but not spicy. I’ll be keeping one on hand or ‘those’ nights.

@chinchi, our TJs didn’t have those pies, just chicken. I’ll keep an eye out.

Ooohhh… As my husband does not like mac and cheese (I know! It’s his one flaw!) I am always on the lookout for good frozen versions… And as like green chile as well? It feels like a win win :slight_smile:

Well, aren’t you the lucky one?!?!? Enjoy.

1 Like

Our TJs finally had these. Today was a busy one and we were trying to figure out dinner when I remembered these. They are really, really good. Really. Thanks SO much for the rec. Gotta replace them :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really liked the TJ-labeled Petrus aged pale and sour peach, but the cranberry, which is the only one they had at the last TJ’s I went to, is kind of nasty.

NY Steak is really good.

Which NY steak? I’ve seen three or four brands.

I like the Teva kosher but it comes and goes.