February 2017 Weekend Rundown

I had a big weekend of eating (for me)! :slight_smile:

Sushi King in SaMo. This is the remains of the chicken yakitori. I actually thought that was the weakest part of the meal, although they give you a decent amount of meat on each skewer. Sashimi (yellowtail + salmon) was fine but nothing to write home about (which makes it a pretty good value at 8 pieces for $14). Salmon skin roll was good, as was the miso seabass (although the filet was rather thin). Tempura was light and crispy. Green tea was very dilute. :unamused: Sushi chefs greet you lustily. Decor reminds me of innumerable sushi places from the 1980s (incl Taihei, which is my first memory of sushi). Was packed on a Friday evening w/ what appeared to be regulars. Wouldn’t drive out of my way for this, but it’s a swell neighborhood joint.

Went to Boba Lab afterward. Not a good experience. My taro cream lasted mainly of vanilla and some weird synthetic flavor. I ordered the hazelnut peals, but I think I got the Yummy (brown sugar) pearls. Not good. Partner’s coconut creme was fine, but I like Volcano better. Partner accidentally stopped in Sweet Rose Creamery on the way to Boba Lab. Might’ve been better had we stayed there. :frowning:

Partner likes Profetta in Westwood “a lot.” I don’t know much about coffee, so that’s about all I can say about that.

Partner and I both like Flower Child. I think this would be right up @MaladyNelson and @westsidegal’s alley (except, perhaps, for the portion size that is a bit on the smaller side). Food is pretty bland-looking but quite decently flavorful. My favorite thing to get is the 2-item combo + a protein (I’d stick w/ the non-shaved chicken). Fairly affordable (for the area).

Had Vito’s in SaMo on Sat or Sun night. Should preface this by saying that I’ve never had the one in WeHo. However, I actually thought it was really tasty. As in, perhaps worth-a-slight-detour good. The cheese does have some orange-y areas but has a nice pungency. Each slice is also a good size (I would’ve been w/ two). Just a touch of grease, but a good tomato to cheese ratio, the crust is crispy and chewy, and there’s a touch of char on the bottom (sorry, too lazy to wipe off my hands to take that photo). Ambiance is sci-fi pool hall (there’s a billards table) as interpreted by Danish-Modern loving, record-playing aliens. And, yes, it’s really that dark inside. I like this place. I hope they survive.

Kitty not included w/ the pizza.

A few bites of chocolate from the place next to Cielo coffee in SaMo (sorry, the name eludes me right now).

Brought home 3 pieces. I had a bit of the chocolate orange one evening, and it was quite good. I tried 3 other ones the next day (orange, vanilla, coconut), and flavors were all quite muted the next day. Not sure why.

In other news, Gelson’s again allows you order whatever side salad you want (under a certain price) w/ the sandwich combo (after a brief and failed experiment w/ limiting the choices to 5 salads). There is a God!!!

9 Likes

you’re absolutely right, this IS my kind of place.
i put it on my list.
THANK YOU for the heads up

Mmm, your plates from Flower Child look really great! I love places that are heavy on the veg. Thank you so much for your recommendation, @paranoidgarliclover! Will definitely check it out when I’m in the neighborhood.

A very satisfying breakfast burrito, accompanied by a literal Bang!Bang! (one orange-flavored, the other pineapple) at Marty’s (on Pico, in West L.A.)

9 Likes

Runny egg yolks and spinach and perfectly fried plantains. Off-menu Eggs Benedict on a rainy Friday morning.

Mercedes Cafe
Washington Blvd., Venice

Btw, we came here for the huevos rancheros, which are usually excellent. Lately, E. and I have been trying out new places for breakfast. He likes huevos rancheros, and I have been seriously steering him wrong. We have eaten some truly awful breakfasts recently, so we went to one of our tried and true spots.

Mercedes always had great huevos rancheros, but this time it was like a weird tostada pressed pancake with a layer of melted orange cheese on top. It brought to mind the bastard child of a seven-layer dip and a microwave quesadilla pizza.

Any recommendations for a good traditional huevos rancheros? (And please don’t send me to East L.A.; this is morning-after food. Fifteen minutes from Culver City or Venice, thanks.)

3 Likes

Gjusta’s version is quite good and rather healthful. I think it would be essentially right up your alley.

But if you want a cheaper home style version that tastes utterly spectacular, Taqueria Los Anaya does the best rendition I’ve ever had as someone super picky about huevos rancheros.

https://instagram.com/p/BNn-GJcDyWv/

1 Like

#Honeybird

Phil Lee O Fish - Crispy Whitefish, Lemon Dill Aioli, Homemade Pickles, Tomato, Cabbage
this was a fantastic fucking sandwich. Everything went together perfectly, and yes that was the perfect amount of aioli to drip down your arms as you’re eating. The only thing missing was a slice of orange pasteurized american cheese product, because #murica

Chicken 'n Waffles - Airline Breast & Thigh, Buttermilk Waffle, Bourbon Syrup
The chicken didn’t even come close to the fish, it was meh and dry.

9 Likes

Double Fisting Bang! Bang! Like a Boss

Hi @PorkyBelly,

So glad you liked that Phil Lee O Fish! It’s SO good, right? :smile:

Yah, compared to the Fish Sandwich, their Fried Chicken isn’t close (and nothing like Howlin’ Ray’s).

1 Like

Beef tartare with Bearnaise sauce on an odd bread/biscuit.

So beefy and wonderful if you scrape off the sauce and ignore the bread thing. Very rich, pure beef flavor. (It’s a good Bearnaise, but unnecessary and too rich for this dish.)

Eating the tartare by itself is one of the best versions I’ve had in a while. Still haven’t tried the Bel Campo version.

Cannibal, Culver City

5 Likes

Pine and Crane:

Pine and Crane do vegetables really well.
If you come here and don’t get a plate of greens and their cold pickled appetizers you are doing it wrong!!!
Pine and Crane did me wrong for charging me rice. I did not order dumplings or noodles. Just what am I supposed to eat these veggies with? Turns out rice only comes when you order a dish like 3 Cup
Chicken.

Ridiculous. But maybe I am projecting my own standards and with what I grew up with eating at Chinese (All over SGV, Chinatown, Cerritos/Artesia) restaurants. If this was at a house, “uhhhh where’s the rice?”. Whatever.

And they took away the Hakka Stir Fry!!! How could you! That is Taiwanese as it gets. Even if you are not Hakka, you still make it/eat it. Disappointment. I don’t think the dude who took my order understands or gets my disappointment. I can’t help to be overly critical. Bring that back

3 Likes

Kazunori.
I still enjoy the combination of warm, cold, sweet, vinegar, soft, and toasted.
Customers here committing all types of fockery.

5 Likes

Still love that G&B. Forgot that Blue Bottle popped across the street at the Bradbury

3 Likes

Leo’s housemade tagliatelle and Roma-style beef ragu, from Bulgarini (in Altadena)… Deceivingly simple at first, yet flawlessly prepared and complex.

(of course I had some of that pistaccio gelato as well!)

4 Likes

Simple Japanese breakfast with some friends at Fukagawa on Redondo Beach Blvd. in Gardena. Was so excited to eat it that I forgot to take a photo of my breakfast set “C” with grilled mackerel and dashimaki tomago. For about $10, you get a bowl of steamed rice, a large piece of your choice of protein (steak, mackerel, Spanish mackerel or salmon) with grated daikon, your choice of egg (raw, scrambled, sunny-side up or dashimaki), Japanese pickles, nori strips, cold tofu topped with green onions and bonito flakes, and piping hot miso soup with sliced fried tofu and onions. They also serve an excellent barley tea. It’s all super simple food, but prepared extraordinarily well. Service is a tad spotty…meaning they don’t check on you much or at all so you have to constantly flag down a server for tea refills. This place looks like it’s a blast from the past…old wood furnishings and an ancient Japanese woodworking display on one side and a wall of books to enjoy with your meal on the other side.

4 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Nice! Love Bulgarini’s housemade pastas and sauces (thanks for the recommendation again!). :slight_smile:

Great to hear they have their famous pistachio gelato in stock this early in the year.

Din Tai Fung Glendale brunch action.

8 Likes

Glad to see you got some 8 Treasure Rice for dessert, Happy New Year!!

Those Rice Cakes is essential Shanghainese, one of my favorites.

2 Likes

I like Kazunori too.
What the fockery does this mean?

I don’t understand why they won’t open up Studio City - it would basically print money for them.

1 Like