February 2018 Weekend Rundown

Please tell me you got a roast pork broccoli rabe sandwich!!!

waited my whole life, wouldn’t have missed it.

1 Like

Snuck out of the house and took SEPTA to witness Villanova on its way to winning the whole thing in '85.

2 Likes

I will never, ever admit how many times I read this, and stared at the photo, before realizing these three things were not all combined into a puzzling concoction (and for the life of me, I couldn’t decide if the ketchup/Tapatio went into the grapefruit juice, or a bit of the grapefruit juice was added to the ketchup/Tapatio mixture to thin it).

Obviously I’m short on sleep.

4 Likes

No, it’s not just you! At first, I was like, “What sort of badassery is this when someone combines a citrus drink + tapatio + ketchup???” Esp b/c @JeetKuneBao goes off the beaten track for food.

But, b/c I am impatient, I scrolled down and then was relieved.

3 Likes

Yes! I was thinking it was some sort of DIY fancy mixed drink - wasn’t too sure of the taste, though.

1 Like

Now if a Modelo was in the mix, well…

2 Likes

Pretty good Hainan chicken from Taishi Hainan Chicken in Torrance.

5 Likes

Waxpaper sandwiches and sides. Thumbs up on the Steve Julian and even the skeptic (“green chili aioli?” “Jalapeno slaw”? “hominy on a sandwich?”) liked the Terry Gross. Ordered 3 large sides: Mr. Bean Panzanella salad, raw root vegetable salad with pickled dates and dried apricot (loved this!) a great mustard vinaigrette, and their shredded cabbage slaw. They warned me that a “large” order was a lot of salad. Fact, not fake news -they packed a standard sandwich takeout for each salad to the gills. Photo is of all three salads, with the root vegetable on the right, Mr. Bean at 7 o’clock, and slaw at 11. Still eating leftovers! We did take-out and hauled it all over to the Frogtown Brewery to enjoy with a selection of beers. The skeptic was not as enthusiastic about his Imperial stout, as he was over the Terry Gross. The rest of us gave both food and beverage (blood orange saison and double IPA) a thumbs up.

5 Likes

original pancake house redondo

2 Likes

You Eat Now Filipino pop up at Barkada

Chicken Tocino sandwich

Diniguan bowl

Shrimp lumpia bowl

2 Likes

I figured it was some kind of elevated hipster version of a bloody mary and thought did pod people get a hold of @JeetKuneBao? :wink::rofl:

4 Likes

Bella Cuba’s chicken vastly superior to that famous LA Cuban place on Pico and La Cienega

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I love Bella Cuba. I need to get back in there soon.

The roasted pork at Bella Cuba is awesome.

1 Like

Agreed. I’m also a big fan of the vaca frita and the arroz con pollo Cubano (thanks for the rec, @Porthos).

1 Like

Is Bella Cuba in Santa Ana, or is there a branch closer in L.A.?

Technically in Costa Mesa - across the street from South Coast Plaza on Bristol and Sunflower. I believe this is the only location.

Eat more hole foods

Sidecar

saigon cinnamon crumb, huckleberry, madagascar vanilla glazed

Dominique Ansel Bakery

cronut - hibiscus rose jam, toasted rice ganache

11 Likes

Actually, it is technically in Santa Ana. Sunflower is the border.