February 2019 Weekend Rundown

$2-$3 is what 85’ and Portos charge these days

Croissants du Tokyo is just a counter in the food court of Tokyo Central on Artesia - formerly Marukai. I’m sure this helps keep their overhead down. Their pastries are super flakey on the outside and buttery tender on the i side. So their pastries are more Euro in technique but in the price range of 85 and Porto’s.

This place looks awesome and is fairly close to my office. Will have to check it out one day when I’m eating carbs again :frowning:

Our office has made two runs there and picked up a wide variety. So far no duds in the bunch. The prices are reasonable enough that taking a gamble isn’t too bad.

Not to stray off in another direction but I just had an excellent croissant at Angel Maid. I mention this because I know you’re in the area.

I usually order their cakes, more complex pastries and cream puffs. I don’t recall trying their croissants before so I grabbed one and had it at home. Ideal crispness on the outside layers, tender and buttery on the inside. I’ll have to give their other items a try.

1 Like

I was just there to order a birthday cake! Here is my loot:

Pain au choclat, chausson aux pomme, Japanese cheesecake.

6 Likes

Wow, beautiful

This is the place on Centinela near Coni Seafood #2, yes?

2 Likes

Correct

i-naba

fried fish semen
Fun fact: this was how aquaman and the shape of water monster were conceived.

salad

battera

shrimp

kisu - japanese whiting

maitake and shimeji mushrooms

squid

onion

shiitake mushroom

magochi (flathead), kisu (whiting)

squid, shiso, nori roll

shiitake with minced shrimp

anago

12 Likes

Thanks! I’ve never gotten a croissant there either. I go past them regularly on my daily walk. Have you dropped into Saatchi coffee yet? I’m surprised they picked that location since parking is so tough around there. We had their coffee and liked it. They had some pastries too which we didn’t try. Definitely a hipster vibe though for anyone sensitive to that. We were definitely very out of place among the stylishly dressed women and man-bunned bearded males.

I need that l mushroom w/ shrimp in my life so bad

1 Like

I’ve been a few times. The coffee is fine but as you’ve mentioned - the parking… If there’s an open spot on the block and I have time for coffee, I’ll drop by.

My presence at hipster-type places offers the “yang” to the man-buns since my head’s crown is bun-challenged, as many of them will be one day as well. :grinning:

How do you order this in Japanese? I feel like I can’t say, “I’ll try anything twice.”, without trying this.

shirako tempura, literally battered and deep fried white children

4 Likes

The creaminess of those children :heart_eyes:

1 Like

310’s coffee is also good. I like the couple of pastries I’ve tried. Easier parking around there too. Although I can walk to that one easy also.

I miss my hair…:sob:

1 Like

Bang #1: Ricky’s Fish Tacos

Fish, Shrimp, 50/50 Mixed Taco

Delicious and deceptively filling! The light and crunchy batter enclose some meltingly creamy fish on the inside. For a change of pace, the shrimp taco is more savory with some well fried shrimp with the same wonderful batter that clings to the fish. These wonderful fillings are joined by pico de gallo, shredded cabbage, and folded into warm flour tortilla.

Bang #2: Proof Bakery

Brioche

Light, airy, buttery

Almond Croissant

Quite buttery and flaky on the outside and especially so on the edges…creamy custardy almond paste in the center with just the right touch of sweetness.

Pain au Chocolat

Crazy flaky exterior but lacking a bit of structure in the center since it’s completely empty. Almost perfect!

Apple Hand Pie

Decently flaky crust and a touch too sweet. Triple Beam is where you need to go for a perfect rendition!

5 Likes

My new play at Ricky’s is shrimp tacos, no pico / light cabbage. Better proportions, less distractions.

very nice - no pico is def the move. lets the roja or verde shine.

1 Like