February Weekend Rundown (2016)

Yes. So good you didn’t even know it was gluten free did you? :wink:

To clarify, only the cheese puff is gluten free (coconut flour) not the other piece of bread included in the bread bag.

Congrats @OCSteve! Sturgeon tacos at the wedding reception? :wink:

I’ve been trying to go back myself but for one reason or another have had to change plans last minute.

1 Like

Quite true.

That looks like a $50 lunch. LOL

I wish! Reception fare will be much more humble.

I was in Kansas City for the last half-week through Sunday, which I chronicled for anyone who has nothing better or more engaging to read through: Kansas City, MO - #4 by President_Mochi

Returned to LA Sunday, and had to run an errand near Sawtelle, so stopped into ROC Kitchen for dinner. First time there, but I will be going back.

• Pork Dumplings - Almost ashamed to admit it, but I haven’t yet made the voyage out to SGV, so I’m still green on the dumpling scene. I thought these were tasty, though. Had a sweetness that I didn’t expect and liked. Probably from the vinegar, I s’pose.
  • Pan-fried Veggie Dumplings - Solid.
  • Scallion Pancakes - Maybe shouldn’t have gotten these AND the pan-fried dumplings, but I still really liked 'em.
  • String Beans - Enjoyed these a lot. Good crunch and nice flavor. Appreciated that they weren’t drowning in dressing.
  • Three Cup Chicken - Really good flavor. Saved some for leftovers, which I’m looking forward to.

Overall, from the sounds of it, I’m sure there are better version of this genre of food in SVG and elsewhere, but I thought everything at ROC tasted like a good version of the blah chinese that I grew up with and didn’t really care for, so I’m looking forward to continuing my xiao long bao-ducation.

1 Like

In 'N Out 3x3 Animal Style extra pickles extra toast

5 Likes

This is actually perhaps the best description I have ever seen for ROC.

Question: do you use the phrase “pork dumplings” and xiao long bao (XLB) interchangeably? I really didn’t like the XLB at ROC at all (only went once, shortly after it opened), but I’ve never had pork dumplings (jao zi) there.

So here’s my pic from Beni-Tora:

I made a whole new post b/c I wanted to also add my dessert from Sunday lunch (below). I noticed a few kids running around the local Souplantation w/ these mini ice-cream cones + soft serve, and I couldn’t help but get one myself. It’s everything I love about soft serve + cone in a totally guilt-free size (about the length of my thumb). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Oops. Yeah, as I wrote it, I meant “pork dumplings” = XLB.

To be honest, I don’t have much point of reference for where ROC’s would sit on the XLB scale of goodness as my XLB knowledge is limited. I can imagine that the may pale in comparison to other places’ offerings, but for what it’s worth, I liked 'em, and they got me excited to try more.

As luck would have it, secretasianman recently did a round up of XLB in the SGV:

I do personally refer to XLB and jao zi as “dumplings,” although, to avoid confusion, perhaps better to use the two different terms here?

bao is a bao, dumpling is a dumpling. don’t be white, or alt lopez.

there is a key difference that whites, except PIGMON, don’t understand.

but even in shanghai, they translate xlb into english as soup ‘dumpling’. semantically, they’re more dumpling than bun to me. if i were a judge on jeopardy, i would accept either answer.

SJB’s are buns to me because the dough is more bread like.

Re-read what you just wrote right now. Who’s reading English in Shanghai? Who’s eating at XLB shacks with English translations?

1 Like

i stand by my point. the issue is semantic vs literal translation. displace your hatred elsewhere.

I agree. Places like Mama Lu’s, Dean Sin World, or even DTF translate XLBs as pork dumplings.

we call jiaozi (饺子) dumplings and nobody argues with that.

try describing zongzi (粽子) literally as a dumpling and people will not recognize them when placed in front of them. but describe them as chinese tamales and people get it.

it’s not hatred; (all) the translations are wrong, no matter how many people may have used it. there is clear distinction between cooking process (and ingredients) for dumpling vs bun/bao which renders the 2 items different products and not substitutable.

No one in China calls xiao long bao a xiao long jiao. That’s the point.
Spread proper knowledge like the Japanese do of their food.

I consider this matter closed.

so who wants to explain to us dumbasses what’s the technical difference between a bao and a dumpling? Cuz an XLB most certainly looks more dumpling than bao, and yes I recognize that the B in XLB = bao.

1 Like

Man, am I glad most Asian menus have pictures to point to :yum:

3 Likes