February Weekend Rundown (2016)

P’s mom’s chile verde with pork ribs at yesterday’s Super Bowl party … and that was from a table full of tough contenders, as this was a crowd with many serious and seriously good cooks. Or I could maybe go with Lisa’s weird but stunning saltine-based chocolate “toffee” squares, except that two of those would just about finish me off, while I could eat that chile verde until they took it away from me.

4 Likes

I missed the toffee squares dang it!

I had four helpings of the chili verde. I squeezed in one last bite in the end during the cleanup.

2 Likes

Swirl soft serve from sweet rose creamery - chocolate and clementine. Amazing, beautiful texture and flavors. Chocolate was rich, creamy and decadent. The clementine was fresh, bright and refreshing.

4 Likes

I had three, and was staring into the pot with fork in hand … then decided that’d be tacky!

1 Like

Yes, a fork would have been tacky. With that sauce, a spoon would have been much better.

1 Like

Any casual banter on if Maru-san will be leaving?

Didn’t hear that rumor until the day after I was there.

Sounds like a job for JLomakase?

1 Like

Kitakata. Asked for noodles extra chewy. Stellar #paleokiller

2 Likes

Do they get their eggs from Santouka or something?

I keed, I keed. Must go here soon.

1 Like

The XXLB at long xing ji. #compensating

4 Likes

Junk Food Holiday at Fab’s Hot Dogs & Chick-Fil-A!

3 Likes

@Porthos, nice! :slight_smile: Wasn’t it good? (the firmer noodles.)

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999 I agree. My favorite ramen in town these days.

1 Like

Chinese King BBQ in Long Beach for lunch today.

Pad See Ew and combo fried rice. Super smokey flavors from the ultra hot wok.
People were coming in regularly to pick up ducks for Chinese New Year. I tried to take a decent pic, but it just didn’t work out LOL.

2 Likes

Puzzle Bar (La Mirada)
Artisan cocktails (where everything is organic or house made except the alcohol) and fusion bar snacks in an unassuming location

Clockwise from top left
Lilo & Stitch - Plymouth gin, housemade guava liqueur, housemade dragonfruit/peach bitters, organic mint, organic Rosemary, sea salt
Mushu - Atlantico rum, dragonfruit, strawberry, mint, lemongrass/coconut/lychee bitters, cynar
Madhatter’s Old Fashioned - Earl Grey infused Makers 46, hand-carved ice sphere, housemade aromatic butters, flaming orange peel
Milan - Atlantico rum, white peach cordial, lychee cordial, sage, chocolate chai/chocolate cinnamon bitters, sea salt

Each drink was made with a lot of care. The bartenders were fantastic and amusing. The whiskey collection was first rate with a large Japanese contingent along with European and domestic favorites.

2 Likes

Have you tried the green chili shio ramen there? It’s probably my fave. :smiley:

Their egg is one of the weaker parts of the bowl for me, just a tad overcooked. It doesn’t detract from the great noodles, broth, and chashu, though, so gogogo!

1 Like

and it goes so WELL with the Papaya salad. :slight_smile:

–Dommy!

Nobu Malibu. If you have to Nobu, Malibu tops them all

8 Likes

Alfred Coffee - iced latte

Cofax - raspberry donut for the Pygmy Hippo Shoppe Valentine’s Day party. I’m not normally a donut fan, but the raspberries shone through.

Tatsu ramen - hippie ramen. Refreshing on a sweltering February day.

The Sweet Nuns - matcha & dark chocolate/blackcurrant religieuses. Superlative, the best dessert of the year so far!

5 Likes

Evan Funke porchetta sandwich at cofax

9 Likes