February Weekend Rundown (2016)

Yes I do, idk why stupid shit like this isn’t removed from these forums. Your random insults don’t add anything of value. I imagine you did a lot of drinking this weekend lol

Given that Pailin has been around so long, it’s strange that all of a sudden multiple people went over the weekend, when people here often go to much newer, more hyped places like Luv2Eat.

Went to Isaan Station tonight. Wow-level meal. Ate way too much. Aside from the usual, the som tam was so incredible tonight. One of the thicker sauces I’ve seen with a whole lot of crushed dried shrimp in it, perfect balance of sweet followed by scorching heat. Some of the chiles felt like they were popping open switchblades as they went down my throat.

Grilled pork neck, sausage, and the tom saap were all as awesome as usual. But on this night, papaya salad was king.

Nowhere else to really report…I hit up Bestia for drinks and a Creamsicle Torte after Simbal. It was one of my favorite desserts to eat ever.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB4IjTpk0Em/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

And then we made it into Nighthawk, which will serve you way too much alcoholic cereal milk for your own good if you want it:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BB4IsH6k0Ey/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

1 Like

Grilled iberico pork at Zuma Miami.

As trendy and Nobu knockoff as this place is, this dish was pretty much perfect with the fish sauce/cilantro/chile dipping sauce that came with another dish.

One of our beloved hipster LA chefs needs to add this to the menu Vietnamese style and everything.

1 Like

looks like a perfect dish for pok pok.

1 Like

Or they could add it at Animal or Trois Mec and be lauded as avant garde geniuses.

i’m just curious…is “iberico pork” a breed of piggy, or was this imported from espana?

yes i know i could have googled it but sometimes even a f**wit like me wants to interact with another human.

PLUS

i will donate a 1000 dollars to everyone’s favourite charity if i never read the goddamn word “h++ster” on this board again.

You must admit we’re seeing it a lot less than we did on CH (IMHO)… :wink:

1 Like

I’ll never use it again if you give me the $1,000 personally.

I’ll do whatever it takes to prove I’m serious, contracts, lawyers, photos, etc…

I tried the gravlax at Olson’s Deli today. Normally, I get the Toast Skagen with Scandinavian shrimp salad. The gravlax was a bit of a letdown. I’m used to a nice toast on their brioche bun. However, it seemed like the bun was merely placed on a cold griddle. There’s obviously indentations from the griddle, but with no signs of toasting to be found. The gravlax themselves were good, silky and subtle, but I think I prefer the smoked salmon at Wexler’s (even though it was a bit salty for me).

The semla made up for the sandwich. The whipped cream was very lightly sweetened with a nuanced hint of cardamom. A nice textural contrast was provided by very finely chopped pieces of almond that dotted the whipped cream. Also there was a very thin layer of marzipan that added a vibrant touch of flavor to this light dessert. Get them while you can.

2 Likes

Dessert looks gorgeous. Where in the dessert (not necessarily the pic) is the marzipan?

1 Like

The marzipan is spread in a very thin layer on top of the bottom half of the bun, right below the whipped cream. It’s just the right amount. Without it, the dessert would be a bit monotonous. Any more, and it would overpower the dessert.

It’s a seasonal item, I believe for Lent.

Because you can’t have just one #eatingproblem

6 Likes

Two double poverty burgers, h/t to @michaelc for actually reading print.

This is like a meal of quadruple poverty, but at least it wasn’t meant for me. Looking at @PorkyBelly post above makes me wish I wasn’t so poor. The burger differences is kinda like eating Belcampo vs in n out.

5 Likes

Saturday afternoon trip to Langer’s

6 Likes

Print? I’m trying to recover from watching Deadpool yesterday.
Meanwhile, off to Redbird tonight. Any thoughts on what to order/avoid?

The poverty overfloweth.