Five Guys fries suck

I’m loving 5 Guys Cheeseburgers. Fries as a stand alone? I guess you’re right.

Yep… he turned out better than most child stars.

My friend’s daughter did a Chicken McNuggets commercial. At first she was thrilled. What kid doesn’t like 'em? She will never go near a McD’s again.

This isn’t a full-throated defense of Five Guys fries - they’re okay not great. That out of the way… all you children of the Golden West need to realize what it means when it says ‘boardwalk fries.’ Cause judging from the comments here YOU ARE ALL DOING IT WRONG.

Boardwalk Fries - the definition as far as I’m concerned is thick cut fries, skin on, served upright in a cup, and - here’s where you need to pay a little attention - THEY NEED TO BE COVERED UNTIL SOGGY IN MALT VINEGAR. There should be a 1/2" of vinegar at the bottom of the cup after dousing. That, my friends, is ‘boardwalk fries.’

Thrashers was the iconic stand in Ocean City/Rehoboth when I was growing up. Apparently this is a thing in Jersey too. These are not crispy frite, they are not frozen McD’s engineered to perfection. They are soggy potatoes in malt vinegar. Maybe it’s not your thing. But next time someone advertises Boardwalk Fries at least try them that way and see what you think, because that is the intended mode d’emploi.

If you happen to be in West LA check out Jodi Maroni’s on the Venice Boardwalk. Despite it’s touristified location it’s the stealth champ for best dog in LA. Beefy with a little heat and lots of snap. Good homemade caraway kraut too. AND you can get that combo with ‘boardwalk fries’ as outlined above.

3 Likes

Thanks for the education. Good reason for me to question before ordering. And I won’t. Sounds terrible.

I learned the malt vinegar thing in the East Coast when I was a teenager and loved it. I don’t recall them being as as soggy as you describe. My sub for vinegar in L.A. is lemon wedges. That really improves In n’ Out fries, more than ketchup, I think.

Ok.

Then Boardwalk Fries suck.

Happy?

1 Like

But when you bite the fries the fries bite back.

Or if you’re more musically inclined . . .

Barfity barf barf barf.

1 Like

There’s something to be said for the interplay of the still slightly crispy part of the fry with soggy vinegar fry and the bitterness of the skins. Is it the best french fry on the planet? No, it’s its own thing.

My point was that judging a boardwalk fry as if all fried potatoes were on the same continuum and that there’s some paradigm of french fry perfection to be acknowledged through FTC discourse is bullshit.

And the fact that everyone has responded with one version or another of “I wouldn’t try that” really makes one stop and think.

1 Like

There’s also something to be said for remembering to take the little bag in the airplane seat pocket in front of me in the unlikely event I ever get dragged to such a fine establishment and force fed these delights. I still recall being a kid at the H. Salt and wondering why anyone would soil their food with this liquid.

Yet, I don’t judge :wink:

I’ve never eaten well done steak but… Get it? :slight_smile:

I like fries with vinegar.

But not fries floating in vinegar soup.

3 Likes

We’re in Seattle and stopped at a fave place for fish and chips. The fish got a not heavy sprinkle of malt vinegar and the ‘chips’ even less - WAY less.

I like their fries fine but tend to float a heathy layer of malt vinegar over the ketchup for dipping rather than soak the fries themselves. But really can we get a better bun?!

That, to me, sounds delicious - and a whole lot like the fries I used to get from a chip wagon in Brantford, ON - completely different than the fries I’d grown up eating and perfectly wonderful. Soggy, salty, and the malt vinegar permeated the sinuses: was at first perplexed then driven to consume more.

That 1/2 inch of malt vinegar at the bottom of the serving cup/cone? Yeah, that was intense. I loved it!

I’ve never knowingly had Boardwalk Fries but with 5 Guys being served up in a tall cup, overflowing into a paper bag and malt vinegar available… they certainly sound quite similar. Not sure I’d drown them as suggested, but the overall concept is why I live 5 Guys fries.