Foie Gras: Gone Again?

Thanks!

This is correct. The supreme courtā€™s ruling has not taken effect yet and wonā€™t for another 30+ days for various procedural reasons I wonā€™t bore everyone with. It is surprising some places stopped serving so quickly ā€” I suspect they were either misled by some of the media coverage or had little in stock and were content to rip the band aid off rather than keep serving right up until the ban actually takes force.

I thought this.

Likelier that the ones who routinely offered it on the menu presumed the ban went back into effect automatically and did not consult with counsel.

Whatā€™s interesting is that it seems like foie gras was more popular than ever. I was seeing it at a lot of menus in the bay area and in almost every supermarket. Oh well, thereā€™s always Las Vegas and online shopping.

1 Like

You saw it in supermarkets? Like lobes of it? Was it fresh or frozen? At well over $100 per liverā€¦well, whew. Iā€™ve never seen that but Iā€™m sure LA has things that few other places have. Iā€™d sure be buying some and freezing. Iā€™ve cut them in half and frozen and it doesnā€™t suffer at all. And you save on shipping.

Had one of the last orders of Foie Gras at E.S.T. Steakhouse at the Sheraton Hotel in San Gabriel last Saturday night.

2 Likes

Not lobes in supermarkets, but the pate de foie gras I saw everywhere, in a lot of Safeways and Mollie Stoneā€™s. Lobes I saw at Draegerā€™s. Speaking mostly about up in the bay area. But even in Orange County, Ralphs carries the pate de foie gras continuously in their cheese section. El Toro Meat market carried the lobes of foie gras at different grades when I stopped by there.

I wonder if the pates werenā€™t duck and therefore no problem. Interesting.

I know a chef who recently added foie as an option on a special burger. Iā€™ve considered asking him if he could order an extra for me next time.

The law says ā€œbird,ā€ not ā€œduck,ā€ so goose will also be illegal whenever the Ninth Circuit does its thing. Though Iā€™ve never seen goose foie gras for sale in the US.

Iā€™d just wondered if the label of ā€œpate de foie grasā€ could be a misnomer for some other pateā€™.

Not legally.

This is what I see in a lot of supermarkets.

Iā€™m assuming itā€™s the real thing. Even if itā€™s not the pure thing.

1 Like

I was thinking about this. Perhaps I was assuming that the presence of these products was during the ban. ? For which I have no explanation.

It contains foie gras.

The ban was in effect from July 2012 to January 2015. The enforcement provisions are very weak. If markets didnā€™t stop carrying it nothing would have happened unless someone made a complaint.

Ah I see. Thanks.

iā€™m starting an underground gavagery in chinatown

4 Likes

Yep, I get their pĆ¢tĆ© products. A lot of chicken and duck liver pĆ¢tĆ© has pork in it, thereā€™s does not and I like that.