Food Free-for-All

There’s a few that will tickle Angelenos and a few of my Boston homies and many others as well. Feel free to weigh-in. How many have you stood in line for? Do you agree with assessment?
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/50-restaurants-that-are-actually-worth-waiting-in-line-for/ss-BBUJQLm?li=BBnb7Kz#image=1

McDonald’s.

1 Like

Clinton Street Baking Company - not worth it, but has to be done once
Cafe du Monde - see above
Nathan’s - of course not worth it, but Coney Island is fucking crowded on a summer weekend, duh
Tim Ho Hwan - worth it, and I didn’t have to wait long
Mother’s - worth it, and also very stressful because the ordering system seemed mysterious
Pinks - my friend was adamant. I don’t even eat hot dogs.
DiFara’s - no line at 4pm on a week day. would have been worth a short wait

Is your friend visiting from out of town and heard the hype? 'Cuz those are pretty awful hot dogs. I think there’s a Pinks at the airport now (less to no wait).

This was in 1987, and we were driving around the country for a few months. We both live in New York (then and now). And she likes hot dogs. Maybe Pink’s was better back then.

That was a fun read. I’ve only stood in two of those lines: Philippe’s (which I don’t think had much of a line) and Pink’s. Pinks was a regular stop in high school since my friends and I hung out on Melrose a lot. Even if their hotdogs aren’t anything special (though I did like their snap), they get bonus points for one of the few Melrose businesses with restrooms for customers.

2 Likes

I always wonder how many people in line at Cheeseboard Pizza in Berkeley know that they could get virtually identical pizza at half a dozen clones started by former employees?

Nopa takes reservations.

I’ve been to:

Hattie B’s - Definitely worth the wait.

Cafe du Monde - Not worth the lines when I was there in May, but very good when I was there 10 years ago.

Philippe - Not a huge line when I went chili and lamb dip are good, but not worth a serious wait.

Pinks - Ugh. No. Just no.

Snooze - Not worth a huge wait, but they’re on Waitlist on Yelp! so I may have to get to their Tustin location one of these days. There are better options closer to me, though.

2 Likes

Cafe du Monde — I guess once. But there are better beignets in NO.

Cheeseboard — Skip if the line is crazy. Otherwise, it’s totally worth a few minutes wait. It’s always an excellent slice or three.

Eggslut — Nah. 5-10 minute line, maybe. But Eggslut has been mostly hype from the jump.

Franklin’s — Not anymore. I mean, it’s Texas. When it comes to BBQ, there is no best, there is only more. There are options that are as good or damn near close to it, so wait isn’t worth it.

Howlin’ Ray’s — Sigh. It’s so good. I’ll wait 45 min. Or use a fast pass. But I’ll never wait 2+ hours again.

Katz’s Deli — no because there is never a wait at Langer’s.

Nopa — ??? Make reservations and no wait.

Original Pantry Cafe — uh. no. It’s probably not worth it when there isn’t a wait at all.

Phillipe’s — Don’t go right before a Dodgers game and the “line” is basically nothing. I don’t understand this inclusion.

Pink’s — yep. Totally worth it for you to wait in line while I get a chili dog at Carney’s.

Pok pok — went many years ago. Perfect example of local conditions making the difference. Because I live in LA, Pok Pok isn’t worth waiting long, though there is a bar. If I lived in PDX, then yes, worth it.

Sqirl — 15-20 minutes. Tops. Max. Maybe not even that. But I think they are really tasty, despite heavy hampster conditions.

Of the 12 places on the list I’ve been to, many more than once, none are worth a very long wait, except maybe Howlin’ Ray’s. Several don’t even usually have a wait.
Very weird list.

4 Likes

Nice!

Here are some food people putting effort into making the world a better place for disadvantaged people. Much better than privileged people arguing on a food board about what constitutes snarky. Don’t you think?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/16-restaurants-that-hire-from-marginalized-communities/ss-BBVZHeC?li=BBnb7Kw#image=1

4 Likes

https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-worlds-most-unusual-restaurants-revealed/ss-BBW03iD?li=BBnb7Kw#image=26

As usual California gets a good amount of love. But my husband feels vindicated by #36. While others are singing Leo’s praises, he’s always been loyal to this truck.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/restaurantsandnews/the-50-best-taco-spots-in-america/ss-BBVXTsy#image=2

3 Likes

I don’t know how anyone doesn’t do at least a little. Here’s Jon Bon Jovi:

https://jbjsoulkitchen.org/

And, of course, Jose’ Andres.

1 Like

Gotta try the one in Seattle! Of all the great food there, Mexican just isn’t impressive.

2 Likes

Maybe time to visit Kenya?

2 Likes

Dang, we were there in 2008 and son-of-a-gun I never thought to look for Mexican food :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love this. Who knew?

Ohhh and I want a sunshine yellow wall with a sugar skull painting and sugar skull light sconces!

1 Like

Crab Boiled In Pepsi Max for 2 Hours Served In a Baguette.

2 Likes

Banh All You

3 Likes