For a bday party, where to get massive amounts of fried chicken?

1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup mix
1 container sour cream

Sour cream with a packet of Lipton’s onion soup mix stirred in. Grew up with it as a standard for all parties, it’s still a guilty pleasure. Bag of plain Ruffles, tub of sour cream with mix in it and a bottle of soda and I’m like a high school/college kid again. I try not to eat that too often but when friends serve it at a party, I just have to get some.

5 Likes

That’s funny. I’ve always called it French onion dip :slight_smile:

I would use Hidden Valley Ranch, but I tend to limit my MSG intake to restaurants. :slight_smile:

It looks like it is actually mixed with buttermilk for dressings (oooh and mayo too). Some use sour cream for dips which is yummy too.
IMG_7710

1 Like

This is my special treat to myself. I indulge in this a few times and year and it’s oh so good! Has to be Ruffles – I’ve done other chips but it’s just not right. In fact, I just made some last week after a crappy week at work.One chip with dip and I was in a much better mood (of course I ate a few more after that!) Never heard of it call California Dip though – it’s always been french onion dip to me. Even the jarred version from Frito Lay is called French Onion Dip. Any idea why it’s called California Dip?

4 Likes

Yummy.

1 Like

Too bad I was out of the country when the question came up. Best place is one of the poultry houses in Chinatown. Cheap and pretty good.

2 Likes

Props to the now-unknown Californian housewife!

2 Likes

I love Ruffles also but Wavy Lays will do in a pinch. And definitely plain.

Yes, has to be Ruffles! Accept no other substitute!

According to Wikipedia, California dip was the original name and name on the Lipton’s package. But then French Onion dip name got more popular.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_onion_dip

You’re taking me back to my childhood… and occasionally my adulthood. :hugs:

My BF made it from scratch one Thanksgiving and everyone wondered what was wrong with the dip.

3 Likes

Yes! It’s one of my comfort splurges when I’ve had a bad day.

tell me more. the party is next week.

2 Likes

I know. I’m a homemade dip lover and maker. But when it comes to ranch and “French” onion I want the crappy packaged stuff.

This convo is going off the rails (off-topic). Feel free to break us off @ipsedixit. We can talk about Knorr’s. :grin:

2 Likes

A couple of options on Broadway, second block north of Cesar Chavez. Superior Poultry is best known for selling live chicken (well, live when you walked in) but they also sell fried chicken. It’s been a while since I’ve ordered from them, but I think a day’s notice is enough for a large order. And you certainly won’t ever get any fresher fried chicken. Also on the same block is Lucky Deli, which can also produce quantities of fried chicken if you order in advance.

3 Likes