Fresh, Bright Farmers Market-Driven Street Food - Guerrilla Tacos (the Brick & Mortar) - Grand Opening! [Thoughts + Pics]

duplicate

18 Likes

Was the track “2 Pac - Hit em Up”?

Hi @Ns1,

I have no idea, sorry.

BTW @Ns1,

I overheard Chef Wes talking to some guests who were asking about one of their favorite, previous Guerrilla dishes. He mentioned to them to feel free to message them (via the website) about their favorites. Maybe if he gets enough requests he might bring some of those back onto the next menu? :wink: What were your favorites?

1 Like

Nice scoop, @Chowseeker1999 !

Dre: “Let Me Ride” (strange coincidence: I swear this is what I was randomly listening to as I happened upon this review! If it had been only 5 minutes earlier, it’d have been “Goldberg Variations” by Yo-Yo Ma, not Yo MaMa)

Bringin’ it back to food - Better than Ricky’s?! Daaaamn!

1 Like

Great report @Chowseeker1999. I’ll have to try that soup next time when it’s not an oppressive 100 degrees outside with a barely working AC inside. And I agree that sweet potato taco is my favorite.

Are you sure the menu will only be changing quarterly now? I was told they’ll be adding more and more items to the menu over the next couple of weeks.

P.s. guerrilla has two r’s.

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thank you my favorite spellchecker! :wink: This is what happens when we’re subject to 100 degree heat for the entire week. :cry:

Yah that Albondigas Soup was wonderful.

Oh regarding the menu, at least what Chef Wes told us was that he’d try and “add a special once in a while” but that the menu posted is their permanent menu for the season. He told us that it’s just “too much work” to try and swap out the whole menu every week like he was doing on the truck; makes sense with an entire kitchen staff to train up on it.

Hopefully these “specials” can be more than 1 special, but I guess if we got 1 special every… 2 - 4 weeks that might be a decent start / compromise?

1 Like

Braving it on day 1 with another great review! :smiley:

1 Like

I really loved their truck, but it makes me deeply sad that they have chosen to stop making burritos. I know their name has “tacos” in it, but I honestly fell in love with their burritos more over the years. I’m not sure that the butter chicken burrito they made near the end of their tenure wasn’t the best burrito I’ve ever eaten in my life. :frowning:

4 Likes

I agree. The best breakfast burrito I’ve ever had was at the truck a couple of years ago. Just bacon, eggs, potatoes, aged cheddar, and tomatillo salsa, but it was perfect.

2 Likes

Indeed. I think I managed to eat most of their burritos over the years. Their breakfast burrito varieties, spam, steak, etc… they were always absolutely remarkable burritos that I marveled at.

At the risk of pissing off those with more refined palates than my pathetic and abused one, I always enjoyed the burritos far more than the tostadas. I’m somewhat shocked to see them not even keep a single burrito on the menu. Maybe I will ask them if they plan to reintroduce them in the future when I stop in, though.

I wonder if they will ever put foie gras on their oxtail again? I have to admit; when they did that I was convinced it was the best taco I’d ever had, but they rarely if ever brought it back. Perhaps they viewed it as too much of a “luxury crutch”? If so it’s remarkably ironic since I thought that was one of the most inspired uses of foie gras I’ve ever had, and normally I don’t find foie gras particularly compelling on its own.

3 Likes

Hi @J_L,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Regarding the Baja Cod Taco, I should say in comparison to the more recent visits to Ricky’s, which were good, but it felt like it wasn’t as great as it used to be; not sure why. New location didn’t help, and I think the fact that the person told us they used Tilapia (on that last visit) didn’t help. The Rock Cod used here at Guerrilla is definitely better in terms of taste and texture compared to the last visit at Ricky’s.

Hi @FoodRogue,

That is a great point and reminder: Guerrilla made some great Burritos as well! Wasn’t even thinking about that when we were trying the new menu here. Maybe they’ll come back as a special, or in the next season’s menu?

I’m pretty comfortable saying GT’s fish taco is a lot better than Ricky’s. Better tortilla, better fish.

Shrimp tacos are the way to go at RFT. The lobster tacos are also a lot better than they used to be and served on a different flour tortilla. Having said that I’ve been to RFT once recently where the lobster didn’t taste the freshest, so they’re clearly not batting 1.00 either. Sergio is not always in the house.

Ricky has always stated basa for the fish tacos unless things have changed recently.

1 Like

How was the tortillas?

Is this catfish?

Sweet report @Chowseeker1999! Yummm!

How’d you know I love Fried Oysters? Good memory. You can add my :heart: of Albondigas to the list. Awesome that it’s not too salty (common soup problem).

I was afraid of the fresh issue when I saw Crab Tacos. For some reason it’s the hardest to mask when it’s not super fresh. I’d almost rather have the fake stuff. But these look so good I’ll probably chance it.

Thanks for doing the initial work. Now we know which ones to ask for the extra salsa. :wink:

P.S. Keep in mind a lot of customers won’t know about the truck’s weekly menu rotation, so it won’t be an issue. In order to do what he’s doing now something had to give. The “unique aspect of Guerrilla Tacos: You never knew what might be on the menu from week-to-week” was what Chef Avila worked hard at and it put him on the culinary map, enabling him to open a cool taco spot in a sea of taco spots. I don’t know how he did it. Tacos look simple and eat fast. But there is a lot of components, prep and assembly in a taco and timing is key.

…Anyhoo, super report as usual! Great pics.

2 Likes

Whoa! That is saying something in L.A. I’m not a huge burrito fan, but it makes me wish the new place served burritos too, lol. I actually like that they focus on tacos solely. But maybe a rotating burrito of the week? :wink:

1 Like

“And, if all goes well, Avila and partner Brittney Valles say they’ll soon open up a takeout window for AM service, doing limited breakfast burritos for those in the know.”

So fingers crossed.

5 Likes

Hi @Ns1,

Glad you liked Wes’ Baja Cod Taco more as well. For the Tilapia note at Ricky’s, it was a new worker we didn’t recognize, so maybe they got confused?

1 Like