Fried Chicken Rundown

Looks like some good fried chicken :yum:. What day is Mar Vista?

Sundae.

And there’s some great French fried potatoers there too.

Right ?

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

How about some Fried Chicken updates?

Biergarten, Western Ave., Koreatown

Wings

Crunchy, garlic, soy & sticky, sweet goodness, with (of course) the accompanying ranch dressing.

Korean Fried Chicken - Beer brined, Mary’s chicken

This is labeled as KFC, but was more like broasted chicken. It was a little dry. But the cabbage slaw w/housemade dressing and pickled daikon were very tasty.

1 Like

Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken in DTLA - Mild Level

Take the mild label with a grain of salt. It was plenty hot for me. If fried chicken were an event it would be Howlin’ Ray’s!

8 Likes

Wow that Howlin’ Ray’s looks good!
I just can’t get behind waiting in lines for food . . . especially in LA.
I think I was scarred at UCLA. I feel like my entire time there I was waiting in one interminable line.
And yet . . . that just looks so tempting.

1 Like

I think my x-hot experience scarred me - looking at that now, I can already feel the gritty texture of the copious amounts of seasoning on my tongue.

2 Likes

Still want some, still can’t push myself to wait in line for 2hrs … what to do, what to do… first world challenges

2 Likes

feels

if you’re really desperate, get a few friends and place an order to be picked up before open.

Didn’t know you can do that, is there a minimum?

You’d have to call and ask; our order was close to $300. They do a limited number of pickups per day - we originally wanted to pickup on Tuesday but they maxed out of preorders so we had to pick it up on Wednesday.

1 Like

Gus’s World Famous Fried Chicken - Crenshaw Blvd.

Some Food Talkers whose opinions I respect really like this chicken. Being a chicken lover, I want to, but just don’t like it. It’s over-cooked. The skin is so seared into the meat that it’s weirdly undetectable. There is only one level, hot. And the chicken does not seem quality. I’m willing to admit I had bad batches. But after 2 tries I’m good.

2 Likes

10 order minimum

@Ns1 @PorkyBelly Thanks. Guess I’ll be OD’ing on a lot of Howlin Ray’s soon :joy:

Brilliant.

Where did you wait in a line at UCLA

Where didn’t I? I know Murphy Hall exists but I have no clear memory of it as the trauma has scarred my mind.
I still have much love for UCLA.

1 Like

Two Two Fried Chicken - Orangethorpe Ave., Fullerton

Original Recipe

The skin was crispy and the meat was moist :yum:.

Original Recipe Boneless & Spicy Soy Recipe (bone-in)

Okay, these women are insane or sadists. I say that affectionately :slight_smile:. We asked if the spicy soy was super hot. She sweetly replied “No. Not too hot.” We were sweating & crying :cold_sweat:. And this was after Thai DOTM :fire:. But they were so good! There was some sort of five spice or plumb or I just don’t know! Because the dominant flavor was fermented chili paste! Who knew this would come out of an unassuming KFC spot in a generic looking strip mall. Oh yeah… the boneless were tender & tasty, for boneless. Thank God for beer.

7 Likes

Post & Beam, Baldwin Hills

Buttermilk Fried Chicken

I think I’ve said this before. There is nothing really bad to say about P&B. It’s a great atmosphere and a great addition to the neighborhood. Everything his expertly cooked. Vegetarians would be very satisfied with this place. But in an effort to distance themselves from the unhealthy, fattening rep of soul food - which I think is a good idea - they are playing it a little too safe. The chicken was crispy, moist & juicy, but needed more spice & punch.

3 Likes