Girl & the Goat

had a really nice dinner here. lots of middle eastern, mexican, and “asian” flavors on the menu. I guess this would be considered “new american”.
sadly they can’t source enough pig heads yet so no pig face.
everything was good, the oyster, scallop, and pork shank were great.

space is beautiful, with multiple patios, this place will be a hit.

pacifico oysters, clam baguette, oyster mayo, white currants
it wasn’t listed on the menu but the oyster was also topped with a “vietnamese sausage” for a little surf n turf. dump the oyster on the clam baguette and eat.

grilled corn, spiced coconut caramel, cotija, tajin
solid. nice twist on elotes with a subtle coconut caramel.

sautéed green beans, fish sauce vinaigrette, cashews
good flavors, would have preferred the green beans a bit more al dente.

tomato & stone fruit, sesame-chili, crispy quinoa
pretty good. I think the stone fruit was a cherum.

pan-roasted scallops, chili relish, peanut-popiah crunch
not sure what a popiah is but it provided a nice crunch. delicious.

sticky glazed pork shank, shiitake strawberry, hoisin mayo, hot mustard, naan, lettuce cups
delicious, highlight of the night. the pork was super juicy and tender with a nice crispy skin. the naan was my favorite wrap. kind of weird I got red lettuce, would have preferring a butter lettuce for better wrapping integrity.

mango sticky rice, mango tamarind ice cream, pickled green mango, coconut cloud
rice was delicious but not too sure about the other ingredients.

paper towel count - a whopping .5, super absorbent and big enough to dry two pairs of hands.

no toto

Girl & the Goat
555 Mateo St
Los Angeles, CA 90013

5 Likes

I just read that. Great news. Love that place.

another one… these incursions are putting me off. i can’t even tell if i’m being rational or not… i want our local chefs to succeed and not out of towners expansions to come and take market share of a robust restaurant going base.

4 Likes

nice

Awesome news. One of my regrets last time I was in Chicago was not getting to try this place.

I do kind of enjoy the rest of the country’s envy of LA’s food scene.

On the flip side, LA doesn’t seem to take kindly to carpetbaggers above the fast food/casual variety, which is why so many New York restauranteurs have failed when they saw LA as a money grab. They underestimate LA’s respect for terroir and original concept, and then blame Angelenos for not succeeding. Majordomo works because Chang is a New Yorker opening an LA restaurant, not a New Yorker expanding a New York restaurant in LA.

But I feel arts district can’t absorb so many of these restaurants so quickly. They’re all competing for the same patrons. They need to be spread out. Girl and Goat should think about opening near Majordomo instead. In the next year, arts district will have this restaurant, Enrique Olvera’s new concept, Jessica Largey’s concept, Bavel just opened up as well as Bestia and the rest that were already there. All in the same price range, appealing to the same patrons.

6 Likes

With the avalanche of restaurants currently planned and opening there, I do believe it is time to rechristen it the FArts district - how much actual art is there anyway?

1 Like

We took Amtrak from LA to Montreal, so fun, and stopped in Chicago just long enough to go to a museum and the girl and the goat. I will always remember the bread - one the best I have ever tasted.

3 Likes

Agree with your concerns. This was one of my favorites when I lived in Chicago for a little while a few years back, but I worry what worked there may not translate. Looking at their menu now, it seems that a lot of the dishes have remained the same - escargot ravioli, roasted cauliflower, pig face, pork shank, a couple goat dishes. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to eat those again, but what was innovative then isn’t so much anymore.

I also really appreciated their reasonable prices, which made it easy to sample a lot of their menu. But I can only assume the prices will be jacked up for LA rents and the LA scene, so a $50-60 meal in Chicago might become $70-80 here. That difference may not be huge for everyone but definitely makes it less accessible for me.

Stephanie Izard just posted that they are now hiring FOH managers

1 Like

I wonder if they are still planning on opening Girl & Goat in LA. Timing is terrible but I imagine they already invested in a build out.

Eater LA says they are still opening later this year.

1 Like

Stephanie just posted that it is opening in just under a month.

3 Likes

Reservations are live on OpenTable.

1 Like

Is the menu posted anywhere?

Have not seen the menu posted anywhere yet. First reservations are for mid July so expect to see a menu shortly.

1 Like

had a really nice dinner here. lots of middle eastern, mexican, and “asian” flavors on the menu. I guess this would be considered “new american”. lots of veggies for @Clayfu
sadly they can’t source enough pig heads yet so no pig face.
everything was good, the oyster, scallop, and pork shank were great.

space is beautiful, with multiple patios, this place will be a hit.

pacifico oysters, clam baguette, oyster mayo, white currants
it wasn’t listed on the menu but the oyster was also topped with a “vietnamese sausage” for a little surf n turf. dump the oyster on the clam baguette and eat.

grilled corn, spiced coconut caramel, cotija, tajin
solid. nice twist on elotes with a subtle coconut caramel.

sautéed green beans, fish sauce vinaigrette, cashews
good flavors, would have preferred the green beans a bit more al dente.

tomato & stone fruit, sesame-chili, crispy quinoa
pretty good. I think the stone fruit was a cherum.

pan-roasted scallops, chili relish, peanut-popiah crunch
not sure what a popiah is but it provided a nice crunch. delicious.

sticky glazed pork shank, shiitake strawberry, hoisin mayo, hot mustard, naan, lettuce cups
delicious, highlight of the night. the pork was super juicy and tender with a nice crispy skin. the naan was my favorite wrap. kind of weird I got red lettuce, would have preferring a butter lettuce for better wrapping integrity.

mango sticky rice, mango tamarind ice cream, pickled green mango, coconut cloud
rice was delicious but not too sure about the other ingredients.

@js76wisco’s paper towel count - a whopping .5, super absorbent and big enough to dry two pairs of hands.

no toto

555 Mateo St
Los Angeles, CA 90013

23 Likes

Thanks for the early report!

The prices seem very reasonable. How was their wine list?

yeah prices seemed very reasonable for the area (which is right down the street from bavel.) $32 for a pork shank that can feed two is great qpr. I suspect it won’t be like that for long though.

note, everything I had besides the pork shank and dessert was a half portion.

libations

5 Likes

Whoa someone try that Ring of Fire for me

1 Like