GrubHub in San Diego

I’m laid up with a broken ankle for a few weeks. I’m wondering if anyone has used this delivery service, and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Sorry to hear about your ankle.

Tried DoorDash a few times but it was totally unreliable, food never came, etc. Sorry, hope someone else can be of more help.

Thanks for the info on Door Dash. We tried GrubHub in Portland while on vacation and it worked well, but I haven’t tried DoorDash–don’t think I will! Just glad someone is still looking at the San Diego posts LOL.

Yeah, it’s a ghost town here at SD FTC. Maybe you’d get more responses on Chowhound, although that’s pretty dead too, or some other online site. Hope you get some good eats while you recuperate.

GrubHub is ok. I would also look at UberEats.

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there any restaurants, on either service,
that you’ve been particularly satisfied with (order correct, food packages adequately)?

I’ve also had bad luck with DoorDash and no longer even try to use it. If you’re a Prime member, Amazon’s food delivery service is good.

We use GrubHub and Amazon, not had problems with either. we have noticed GrubHub appears to raise the menu prices in addition to the service fee. Also, the Amazon Whole Foods delivery is solid, you can also get prepared foods from them.

DoorDash is absolute garbage, used it 6 times and had problems 4 times so have since deleted the app.

Thanks so much for the responses. This might be the reason to spring for Amazon Prime.

We’re not in S.D. Do they have Postmates in S.D.? We like Postmates for food delivery. Its free for $20. and over, which is always for us. The steps are simpler (no logging in every time), tracking orders is better (no back spacing and refreshing necessary), they don’t ask for tips ahead of time and they resolve issues satisfactorily. It’s pretty much the same format as ordering a Lyft or Uber ride.

No, but but I like the idea of free delivery over $20.

You don’t have to logon to the services here each time you order.

The only two restaurant delivery services I even consider now in SD are GrubHub and Amazon.

1 Like

Tried StreetCar Merchant for fried chicken one night via Grub Hub. I was pleasantly surprised. Food arrived on time and it was hot! Delivery person was friendly and polite. It is a bit of a pricey way to eat, but you do pay for laziness or immobility.

What you give up in table service and restaurant environment you make up in convenience. There’s no drive to get to the restaurant; no issues with parking; and you don’t have to deal with a potential restaurant distraction, like noise As with the tv ad for something-or-other, “you don’t have to be fully dressed”. You can get a decent meal when you’re at leisure or don’t want to (or shouldn’t) drive. And while a tip is automatically added, I always give tips to food delivery people – and of course in restaurants, so that’s a wash.

Bottom line: Yes, it’s more expensive. But worth it when you don’t want to go out. I’ve had a number of pretty good meals this way. And, for people who can’t drive or have difficulty driving, it’s a real boon.

1 Like