Gus Fried Chicken reports? (Crenshaw and Pico)

Please enlighten me. :yum:

[quote=“tailbacku, post:3, topic:3587”]
Is everyone jumping off the poke bandwagon and eating fried chicken now?
[/quote] Actually, I was a little worried for restaurateurs who put all their eggs in the Poke basket. But, also surprised by the Fried Chicken resurgence. It’s L.A.! We’re supposed to be health conscious. Maybe Poke is a delicious item on a restaurant menu. But as a whole concept, it is definitely not taking off.

The “hormone free” testament is a con. It’s illegal to add hormones to any chicken in the U.S.

2 Likes

Go on! We can always count on @Chowseeker1999 to break it down. The diversity of the places you go still amazes me though.

For these old school type joints, the sides have always been generic. Usually nobody cares. They are not actual soul food spots. Their star attraction will be fried chicken or BBQ. But in this case it appears the star attraction falls short!

Hi @Luluthemagnificent,

Good question. Krispy Krunchy is, per the name, much crunchier and has a much thicker batter than Gus’s. The Krispy that I tried at the Fox Hills Mall had potential but was too salty (like way over-salted). :frowning: So in that respect Gus’s is less salty, but still more than the more handcrafted places like Howlin’ Ray’s and Honeybird and Birdies.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Where is the Poke?

Thanks for taking another one for the team Chowseeker. Considering I haven’t had the chance to make it to Howlin’ Ray’s yet Gus’s is definitely not at the top of the list.

Have you had Honey’s Kettle before? Is Gus’s in the same stratosphere in terms of the fried chicken?

Honey Kettle is very hit and miss, more times than not for me, it’s a miss. Also, it’s way overcooked, dry as the Sahara desert. And those prices…

Hi @js76wisco,

I’d agree with @Luluthemagnificent: Honey’s Kettle has been hit or miss for me as well.

When they were good, no, Gus’s isn’t like that. I’d say Jim Dandy’s is much better when they are on their game as well.

[quote=“Ns1, post:25, topic:3587”]
There’s no less than 5 poke places within 5 miles of me.
[/quote] I started a Poke thread. If you have time mosey on over.

Mr. Modesty

Had gus’ chicken today. Got the two piece dark outside was crunchy but not overly battered with a little spice (not spicy but more just flavor) and juicy and moist on the inside. Definitely delicious but a tad pricey, 6.20for two pieces drum and thigh.

Didn’t bother with the sides as others have said they’re meh. Got the worst piece of wonder bread I’ve ever tasted it was stale and hard,

Alex, What is “The description of a one-star love hotel in Mogadishu”?..

[quote=“hungryhungryhippos, post:29, topic:3587”]
the worst piece of wonder bread I’ve ever tasted
[/quote] Wonder bread… Yep, old school.

1 Like

Just tried this chicken. It was delicious. the only thing that might keep me away is the spice. I like the spice, but my body doesn’t. Very fresh, they messed up my order and gave the other order free. The thigh was small, the breast was big though. The price was steep, $9 for a breast and thigh, no sides.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. We hit it last weekend. For the most part we feel the same but interestingly enough, we didn’t feel the same way about the heaviness. Afterwards we were commenting that we thought it was pretty light and not greasy. We each had four pieces of dark and split an order of the fried okra, no other sides or bread. A fair amount of fried food with no palate cleanser.

For context, we were regular visitors to Flossies, regulars to Pann’s and hit Ray’s a few times when they were a truck at Alibi Room and we could just walk over with no lines.

Overall, I liked them but they didn’t hold up to my taste memory of my Memphis visit when I ate at that outpost twice. I remember the seasoning being better balanced, the meat a little juicer and the crust a little crunchier. Also the pieces seemed a bit on the small side. Although the table next to us ordered the 3 piece white and the breast pieces were huge.

My wife is the okra fan in the family and she liked their take. Light crisp coating, firm good texture inside, none of the mushiness or sliminess that makes a bad fried okra.

Our 8 piece dark order

The okra

Chess pie

Sweet Potato pie

4 Likes

Mine wasn’t greasy or heavy either…heavy on the wallet though,:slight_smile:

Yeah, $23.50 for 8 pieces with no sides or bread in a no frills setting is on the steep side.

We went Sunday and felt the same about the chicken as well. We ordered a dozenn pieces, fried okra and fried pickles. Oh yeah - greens too.

Chicken was moist in general. The breast was moist in the thicker areas; a little dry toward the tips. The flavor was fine - a little salty. Spice level was fine - I think only people who can’t tolerate spicy would find the chicken to spicy.

Same on the okra. Fried pickles are spears - not chips. Those were okay but hotter than heck straight out of the frier. As mentioned earlier about the greens - eh.

2 Likes

Hi @bulavinaka,

Cool. Have you been to Howlin’ Ray’s yet? Hope you get a chance to try that great Fried Chicken. :slight_smile: