Gwen Butcher, Hollywood anyone been yet?

Correct. Though now that you mention it, these would have stood up nicely to some chili con carne, Thick and double fried to crisp perfection

BTW, does anyone know where they source their baked goods from? Besides the bread, I also noticed a bunch of tasty looking pastries in the display case.

how’s the parking situation?

We found street parking right around the corner on Seward. My other buddy parked a couple of blocks away on De Longpre. This was on Wednesday during the day.

2 Likes

Drove by on Wed and found parking at a meter across the street. I got the tuna fish sandwich to go and it was the best tuna fish sandwich I’ve ever had. I had picked up some bread from them at the Hollywood Farmers Market and it was so good that I was really looking forward to trying a sandwich from them.

By “them” do you mean Gwen? As in they bake their own bread and sell it at the farmers market?

Did they change the bread on the Gwen grinder? I stopped by yesterday for a grinder to go and was disappointed to discover my sandwich was on a plain old baguette. Which is fine – Gjusta does the same thing. Except one of the big attractions of the Gwen grinder – for me at least – was the excellent semolina bread they used.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3Im8e9EhLIpxLROn2

My visit in April. And yes that bread goes great with the Grinder

3 Likes

Really hoping my experience was a one-off …

Hopefully! Perhaps they ran out for the day and had to make do. Still need to try the Meatball

I picked up sandwiches from Gwen once and they were incredible.

The italian, the steak and the meatball were all exceptional.

I would rate them among the best sandwiches in the city.

This is always my conundrum meatball or Italian it’s always so hard to decide at Gwen.

meatball > grinder IMO

both are really excellent though, love their sandwiches…

kinda annoying though, they used to give out these chips with them…then they put a dinky salad…now you only get the sandwich lol.

1 Like

Meatball for there, grinder to go! Seriously, the grinder tastes great after marinating for a bit n the fridge.

4 Likes

I always eat it there because I have no patience!

2 Likes

Great chips are served with the meatball.
OMG - it was amazing.
The bread was not sesame seeded but was just beautiful texture and flavor. And the meatballs and sauce are just killer.

7 Likes

i had one a few weeks ago too it was so good.

I am now worried that it might be the best thing I eat in 2019.

2 Likes

Some new sandwiches include the Pastrami (looks like a tribute to Langers), and a Turkey (a play on Turkey Cran).

I am going to finally have the meatball here on Thursday as I’ll be in the area for the Hollywood Bowl. Maybe bang bang with Northern Thai Food Club

4 Likes

I think that is a classic “Rachel” a pastrami Reuben not a #19 with coleslaw and Swiss. Still it may be a paean to Langers. We are going to the bowl on Friday so will miss you by a day. Have a wonderful time!

1 Like

I always forget that Gwen serves lunch at such reasonable prices. I really should try the sandwiches ones of these days. I don’t even live that far away.

1 Like