Gwen (Stone's meat restaurant)

Anyone been yet? Wasn’t too impressed
5 Dishes

Charcuterie: It was ok nothing too impressive.
Salad: Not memorable.
Pasta: Perfectly al dente, good texture all around, but overly salted.
Meat: Lamb served four ways was the meat being served, but the party I was with opted for the 60 day dry aged bone in rib eye (supplement $170) While good I prefer Chi Spacca for the price.
Dessert: Creme Fraiche Panna Cotta, probably the worst of the courses. It was maybe 3-4 bites of various items that didn’t really work imo and a huge stick of creme fraiche right in the center.

that’s a bummer to hear. While pricey, I was really hoping the food would be amazing. Have had nothing but amazing meals at Maude fwiw.

Some pics, maybe oversized due to me directly uploading from mobile

Spent over $200 pp for a party of four, agree although completely different restaurants, I much prefer Maude

2 Likes

pics

http://www.kevineats.com/2016/08/gwen-los-angeles-ca.html

The cocktail prices at Gwen that Kevin’s review shows are absurd.

2 Likes

based on Kevin’s pictures, the food looks pretty damn good but the QPR is severely lacking.

**adding to my expense account dinner places

1 Like

Funny thing, I was actually there the same night as Kevin was. Oh one more thing the pacing was far too slow, meal was around 3 1/2 hours for five courses.

That wait sounds interminable.

1 Like

:grimacing:

Figured I’d chime in on this one … we ate here the first full week of opening, at the Chef’s counter.

For whatever it’s worth, we’ve eaten at Maude multiple times, and have always found it to be utterly fantastic.

Anyway, I’ll add some photos here in a second, but so at not to bury the lede, although we thought it was very, very good, as others have noted the QPR is a little skewed towards the lower side.

Cocktail Menu

Do love the stemware

First Course(s): Charcuterie, Focaccia

First Course(s): Piperade and Log Grilled/Smoked Sardines (missed Beets)

Cooking Sardines

Second Course: Salad (for the life of me cannot recall everything that went into it)

Third Course: Orecchiette

Choose your weapon!

Fourth Course(s): Lamb Three Ways (Merguez, Rib, Loin), Corn, Summer Beans

Palate Cleanser: Melon Sorbet

Dessert: Creme Fraiche Panna Cotta, Cherries, Peach Ice Cream

Mignardise

Dining Room

Chef’s Counter & Kitchen

Open Flame Pit

So, the verdict. As I said, everything was - at the minimum - very good. Some things even great (I could’ve had about 457 more bites of that Orecchiette).

But it’s pricey, and the portions - like at Maude - are not very large. We love to eat, but aren’t big eater (if that makes any sense), and so are ok leaving and not feeling stuffed. I imagine, though, that others with more prodigious appetites might leave less-than-full, which would be rather irksome.

5 Likes

According to a recent Bloomberg news report, Gwen is North America’s sole distributor of Australian Blackmore Wagnu. Ribeye are $180/lb at the butcher shop or $420 for a 42oz bone-in, cooked version at the restaurant.
See the report below:
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-09/you-can-now-buy-the-world-s-best-steaks-for-180-a-pound

Hopefully marbling has improved from their first shipment…

I sat at the downstairs bar, mostly empty at 6:30 on a Thursday, and ordered a la carte.

Charcuterie: Toscana, duck ham, Negroni, and blackstrap ham ($14), n’duja ($5, that’s how it came, hadn’t touched it yet). Everything was great except I thought the Negroni was a little too bitter, though it might have been good with a cocktail instead of 2013 Thevenet Morgon ($65).

Terrines: headcheese, pork, foie gras. Headcheese was pretty good, pork was excellent, foie gras was as good as I’ve had in my life. At some point I got a bottle of 2010 Scholium “The Courier” ($75) since it was clear the Beaujolais was not going to last.

Chanterelle raviolo, Anaheim chile “espuma,” purslane ($15). Really good.

Asador pork three ways: glazed cheek, grilled rack, smoked belly ($20), cauliflower ($8), creamed endive (normally $8 but comped by the bartender who wanted me to try it). All really great and good portions.

Service was excellent and friendly. Total food cost for the meal was $78 ($86 without the comp), which seemed entirely reasonable…

The wine list was awfully skewed toward the high end, the two excellent bottles I got were among the least expensive. Nevertheless the markups were reasonable, and you’d have a hard time finding those retail. They sealed the unfinished bottle in a plastic bag with a handle, then put that in a fancy Gwen logo shopping bag.

I enjoyed my leisurely (3-1/2 hours) meal so much I forgot to walk around and check out the rest of the place.

9 Likes

I’m so glad to hear there is bar seating with a la carte menu options. I’ve been wanting to try Gwen, but it seems a special occasion restaurant; this means I don’t have to wait.

The terrines are beautiful.

Creamed endive sounds intriguing, I’ve never had creamed chicories, I didn’t even know that was a dish. Was it a special?

That’s a classic French dish. The LA Weekly review had a photo of it. I think they update the menu daily so no specials per se.

Any recent visits to the restaurant? I’m going on Saturday.

Looks like the pasta have been good. Anybody try the lobster roll or have a salad/veggie they recommend? Trying to decide how much coin to drop on meat. Doubt I am going for the wagyu and will stick to the Creekstone dry aged but still pretty expensive.

Went in mid January and had a great time. This was my first time at a Curtis Stone restaurant, but I went because I was craving some dry-aged steak, and many on this board mentioned it as in the running for best dry aged steak in LA.

It definitely did not disappoint. We wanted to order the smaller 80-day dry aged steak, but they told us they had run out, so we were “upsold” to the 45 oz. It ended up being way too much meat for two people. If I were to go back, I would try the 30 day dry aged for less money - I thought the steak was amazing, but I didn’t taste a substantially higher degree of funk vs. other dry-aged steaks I’ve had. We ordered medium rare (FWLIW I typically like my steaks rare-warm, but have started ordering rib eyes a bit more medium-rare due to the fat content), and I will admit the steak was a touch overcooked. That was ok because my SO doesn’t like rare meat, so I gave her the more cooked portions. However, even given that, the steak might be the best dry-aged steak that I’ve had in LA.

The great thing about the meal was that everything else was stellar. In addition to the steak, we ordered the charcuterie sampler for 2, scallop crudo, and Belgian endive plate (recommended by the server). Everything was absolutely wonderful. The charcuterie was delicate in texture yet full of flavor, but I think our two favorite dishes of the night were the belgian endive plate and the scallops. In both dishes, the flavors from the separate ingredients “popped”, yet they all integrated well as part of a whole.

This was definitely one of my favorite meals in recent times. Pics below (apologies for the crappy photos - we were seated upstairs, which is much darker than the downstairs room).

P.S. careful on the complimentary bread and butter - it’s really addictive!

!
80-day dry aged rib eye - 45 oz

Charcuterie
Charcuterie sampler

Scallop crudo

(no pics of the Belgian Endives)

3 Likes

Thanks for the review. We are a 4 top. I am going to steer the group towards the 30 day aged rib eye so we can supplement with another meat, pasta, charcutterie plate and 2 -3 appetizers/salad/veggies. I’m not a huge endive fan but maybe we’ll give that a try. The scallop crudo was on my short list.

I read a bunch of reviews saying the meal was 3+ hours but I’m assuming that is not the case if ordering a la carte.

From what I can see, that steak looks perfectly cooked.

1 Like

Yeah, looks like what I expect medium-rare to look like.