Has anyone been to Perbacco lately?

I was thinking about a gift certificate for two for $ 150.00 for a Christmas gift . I always wanted to eat there but never have , Seems to be a solid place . Or any other recs ? They can use this for a starting point . Doesn’t have to include drinks or tip . It was on my nephews wish list . A nice restaurant for him and his wife in SF . She is Asian and her mom cooks over the top . So maybe skip that one . Thanks

1 Like

It is a very solid place. I’ve not been in a while. Note that it is a noise bomb when considering if it is the proper gift for someone. Depending on where you sit, it can be difficult to hear the person across a small table for 2. I don’t hesitate to return. But I’d never take my father there.

I have heard that also . Any other recs ?

Are you looking for the same general area? City wide? Bay wide?

They live in Sunnyvale .Anywhere in the city would be great . I would imagine they would spend the night . And have a vehicle . They work full time . So a getaway weekend I’m thinking .

Why not Flour + Water? $150 would pay the cost of two pasta tasting menus there, and it’s interesting and very good.

But to be fair I’ve never been to Perbacco though. Always meant to go try their plin.

$150 would probably cover most of the tab for two at La Cicca, a truly remarkable gem in SF. But also somewhat unusual I suppose.

Pre-fixe at The Progress is $65/person, which could be fun, too.

Commonwealth is a good choice. The $150 won’t get them the tasting menu for 2, but a la carte is great, or it would put a substantial dent in the tasting menu bill.

Perbacco is my #1 choice for an old-school, white-tablecloth meal with comfortable seats and correct service, the kind of place that’s an endangered species thanks to changing tastes. Traditional Italian food doesn’t get better around here. Great salumi, great pastas, great wine list, exceptional cheese plate. It always seems quiet to me.

La Ciccia is wonderful and $150 would go farther.

Flour + Water seems to me like a hipster bar with great food.

Thanks Robert . I think they would enjoy Perbacco . One of these days I want to get to La Ciccia it’s been on my radar for quite some time .

Do you have to actually dress up to eat at Perbacco?

You shouldn’t feel out of place either way. The mix at dinner typically ranges from developer casual to business casual to well-dressed American to well-dressed Italian to overdressed.

We were at the bar at Perbacco one night 4 or 5 years ago and a phalanx of security people showed up to check out the place. We learned later it was Chris Christie dining there (in the middle of the week, obviously not tending to New Jersey business) and I’ve never felt quite the same about the place :-). No, it’s a great spot and have had some of the best pasta there and also love that they do 1/2 portions.

My top choices from the current online menu (I’d try to save room for cheese):

SALUMI MISTI
19/29
a selection of house cured salumi inspired by traditional piemontese recipes: salame nostrano / pancetta stesa / capicollo / speck / lardo di cavour / pate di campagna / duck rillettes / ciccioli

VITELLO TONNATO
slow roasted veal / lemon and albacore tuna sauce / capers / arugula

CARNE CRUDA
beef tenderloin tartare / garlic / langhe hazelnuts / crostino / black truffle

PAPPARDELLE
16/21
wide pasta ribbons / red wine braised short rib ragu / young onion / grated horseradish

FESTA DEI TARTUFI BIANCHI (MAGNATUM PICO)
renditions of traditional piemontese dishes with shaved white truffles
TAJARIN
59/64
handcut thin tagliatelle / prosciutto di san daniele / 63 c egg
PLIN DI TOPINAMBOUR
59/64
agnolotti filled with roasted sunchokes / parmigiano reggiano

PAN ROASTED TURNIPS
bagna cuada / pan grattato

BROWN BUTTER BRUSSELS SPROUTS
capers / shallots / parmigiano reggiano

Met some old friends at Perbacco last night. Since we were catching up I didn’t take any photos except for this great wine they’re now sold out of.

I was disappointed to learn that they’ve discontinued the salumi program, but lots of people are doing that now and there’s plenty else to order.

Five of us shared five appetizers, four large pastas, three main courses, and a cheese course. Standouts were fritto misto (with among other things shrimp and fennel), roasted octopus, carne cruda, agnolotti dal plin, langaroli (somewhat similar to the agnoloti but made with quail and tarragon), the cannelloni (polenta crepes filled with fresh corn and sauced with corn fondue), and on the cheese plate the La Tur and Occelli Testun al Barolo. Great meal.

http://www.occelli.it/en/42

http://www.caseificioaltalanga.it/alta-langa-the-products.-la-tur.html

1 Like

We went in July 2021 and the food and service were as good as ever, though they had reduced the number of covers due to staffing issues (the place is huge).

This afternoon a friend was looking for a splurge reservation tonight (Tuesday) and they told her they’ve been booking up a month and a half in advance.

1 Like

Went for lunch yesterday. The owner, Umberto, said that pre-pandemic Friday was the busiest day but now it’s the slowest as most people don’t go to the office. He joked(?) that I’m the only person who orders the Scarpa Freisa. Given how old the vintage was maybe it’s true.

Fritto misto ($19) was delicious and a big portion of shrimp, green beans, fennel, olives, and maitake mushrooms with lemon aioli. Classic vitello tonatto ($19) was very good.

Agnolotti dal plin ($28), scrumptuous as always.

Langaroli ($30) stuffed with braised short rib, great dish with a rich sauce.

Cappellacci ($28), one of the best vegetarian dishes I’ve had in a while. I don’t usually like raw black truffle but maybe these cooked slightly from the heat of the pasta.

Followed the Freisa with a Verduno Pelaverga recommended by Umberto, delicious and great with the pastas.

That was plenty of food for two so just had a nicely salty caramel gelato ($8) and a little Testun al Barolo ($8) for dessert.

Great meal. I think this is the best Italian-Italian (as opposed to Cal-Italian, French-Italian, or Italian-American) restaurant in the area. It’s hard to find filled pastas that good in Italy.