Has Anyone Seen These Cheung Fun With Eggs Before

Just as much as I’m a sucker for fish dumplings, so too will I order any fish rice noodle rolls I see on a restaurant menu. So when I walked into the recently opened Auntie Ping Kitchen on Garvey in El Monte, my eyes immediately gravitated to the fish cheung fun “with egg”. With egg? You mean like the way some Vietnamese restaurants cook chow fun and throw in an egg or two, to produce an eggy crust? Well that’s what I assumed. But at Auntie Ping it was a Longo Seafood type rice noodle roll with egg as part of the design. I’ve never seen this before. Has anyone else?

1 Like

Mr. Champion in Arcadia

Is this considered “dim sum”? Heading to Seattle soon so would like to look for. TIA.

Never tried it before. How does it taste?

Like baby food, or god’s gift to the denture-challenged.

1 Like

E&J Yummy Kitchen in Monterey Park.

This is how people in toisan have been eating cheung fun for decades.

Having grown up in LA’s Toisanese community in the 50s and 60s, this is something I never encountered. I wonder if this is an example of more modern Toisanese food (in this case, modern meaning anything after the turn of the 20th century.) Since immigration from China and Toisan was largely cut off by the Chinese Exclusion Act, particularly the 1924 law changes applying to “merchants”, the Toisanese society in America reflected a historic Toisan. I know that a lot of Toisanese words used by my family are considered archaic, and most likely the same holds for some of the food, too.

1 Like

The Taiwanese have been doing this for decades.

But then by your definition, it would still be “modern” Taiwanese. Given, you know, that little thing about the Xinhai Revolution in 1911 …

The phenomenon is not unique to Toisanese migration to America, as immigrants typically bring their culture from their homeland as they knew it to their transplanted location. But Toisanese American society is more extreme than most due to the relatively hard cut-off of migration wrought by the Chinese Exclusion Act, except for immediate family and friends who managed to migrate illegally during the exclusion period.

This explains a bit as to what I mentioned to you a while back about Chinese AYCE buffets and the Toisanese in America.

Ditto here. Toishanese as well and have never seen this style of cheung fun when I was growing up in the 70s and 80s in LA. Never saw this style until Longo opened. Not crazy about them especially when they start cooling off…

Actually when I was a kid I don’t remember cheung fun of any kind. There were just a handful of dim sum varieties–the giant steamed bbq pork bun, the giant steamed chicken bun, ha gow, siu mai (maybe a couple of varieties) and the sticky glutinous rice cake.

Kinda off topic here but I find my favorite cheung fun at HK Cafe in Monterey Park but not at any dim sum joint. The plain ones at HK Cafe are very delicate and smooth.

1 Like

apparently after my parents left. my mom made cheung fun regularly at home with different fillings and never made it with egg.

Even better is the Ja Leung!!

Rice noodle roll wrapped over a youtiao, then a dip in some sesame sauce.

1 Like

I prefer the plain ones with sesame and hoisin sauce. :star_struck:

But what you described comes in at a close second!

Y’all are making me hungry as hell.

1 Like