Hatchet Hall - Holy Fuckk

Enjoy!
Took a quick peek at the menu online. If it’s accurate, you won’t want to skip the chicken livers. Also, if you haven’t had their cornbread, you need to do that.
Other than that, go crazy with wherever, but be sure to balance the meal with some lighter/brighter dishes. A dinner at HH can get a wee bit too heavy for its own good if you aren’t paying attention.

I went about two months ago for dinner and had a great time. I second @frommtron – get the chicken livers and the cornbread. The chop steak with fried oysters was an interesting combination but also a standout. Octopus is solid and I would definitely order it again, but the preparation is nothing you havent seen/had before. I saw another table with the smoked trout and rye griddle cakes, which looked fantastic.

Holy fuckk 2.0. For us. Everything was great but I was much too mashed up to give any dish it’s propers.

Duck liver toasts great
Spicy SB squid great
Chopped beef great
While fish and pork chop great too
Cornbread is insanity
Yeast rolls have crack

Saperavi was superb

Wasn’t very busy for Saturday peak time

6 Likes

Looks like you did it right!

Somehow I thought you would like this place. Did you hit up the old man bar?

1 Like

Great pics! I should have recommended you get the country ham with the rolls. Exquisite combination. Only place I have come across to serve country ham.

1 Like

This was our second visit and it’s one of the very few places that beckons me. We had kids with is, not sure why we’d hang out at a bar when we had a perfectly lovely table with bottles on it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is that pork chop anywhere in the same stratosphere as the one at Chi Spacca? I love a good pork chop.

I’d say different stratospheres but both good… this on is a super fatty sous vide i think preparation. some lovely heritage pork… it’s a fraction of the chi cost

2 Likes

Chef left???!!!?? I didn’t know… we had fun today regardless

Man… I’m way behind… didn’t even know Martin D wasn’t there anymore. I just don’t keep up

2 Likes

I don’t remember it getting talked about much here by it did get press.

Druluck is at Post & Beam. I’m going to have to try it, was just a mile away at a party on Saturday

1 Like

So her birthday week began and I arranged for my sister to surprise her in the morning by showing up to stay home with the kid and dog while we played our favorite adult game. Since I booked HH we just stuck to the west side and had some significant lubrication in the lead up.

We visited Bar Hermanito (meh)
Sorry not Sorry (amusing)
Lunetta (awesome bar)
Esters (perfect)
Bodega (meh)
Accomplice (wow)

Having skipped breakfast and lunch and only snacked on burrata/crostini and 1/2 d of oysters at Esters we were starving! So Hatchet Hall is perfect as we love it and we kept a huge appetite. They tried to put us in the parking lot but due to this being a very special rare occasion she complained and got seated in their nicer garden area, unfortunately we had to take up a big table but we ordered like one

the peel and eat shrimp were wonderful… i really need to learn to prepare them this way… can’t be hard.

perfect ceviche as well… nicely undercured, seasoned just right… fleshy and satisfying with the tostada crunch

Salad was a sleeper order… i looked at her sideways when she asked for it but we destroyed it… so very airy with its curls and perfectly dressed… never enough anchovies for us.

these dragon i think beans were great with the pork

there aren’t enough words of praise for this cornbread… wow. side and dessert all at once.

heritage pork with fennel pollen… could have used a bit more i suppose but great pork, well roasted. umbrian bottle played a great partner

and the whole branzino was right on as well… we left nothing

Great return to a west side favorite… will miss the chefs we’ve loved but hasn’t missed a beat at least for us.

Did not get to meet, talk to Nina. Someone behind the bar barked at me for so much as stopping to look at the bar while passing by from the bathroom… yea i know you’re closed inside sheesh… #FCovid

9 Likes

Great review! Love Accomplice bar haven’t been to a bar since pre pandemic. Need to start getting out more. I’ve heard good things about Lunetta but haven’t been yet that’s on the list as well