Hatchet Hall - Holy Fuckk

This is not a tasting menu place.

What. The. Fuck.

I am aware of that - my comment was that restaurants with chefs like HH (non-tasting menu) as well as many tasting menu restaurants tend of be very uncreative with just having a large plate of meat with hardly anything else instead of a great chef who is capable of producing a dish which is much more balanced and creative.

1 Like

Oh, all those dishes do look tasty. Just checked out the prices, and they don’t seem bad at all, given the ingredients. Maybe for a semi special occasion… :wink:

Yeah, for sure. I don’t really know of anywhere using better ingredient precisely at the moment, at least not in terms of pork for that chop for sure. I always leave feeling I’ve underpaid given how obscenely good things are. Including tax+tip those three dishes were $78, but I paid $97 for a pasta and chicken at Republique last night, and I for sure enjoyed the Hatchet Hall meal more overall. HH could teach lessons on how to cook chicken for sure, sigh.

They have a new burger debuting on Sunday and Monday nights, could be worth wetting your feet that way (after 10 pm only though).

Have you eaten at a restaurant sometimes within the past 5 years?

Have you talked to any serious chef recently ?

Yup, regularly.

You’re living in a bygone era.

No problem with that, but recognize that the world is a new place in many ways.

What are the wines that are listed with some of the dishes (oyster wine, liver wine, etc.) on the menu? Is it just a wine that’s paired with the dish?

Yes. Just pairings they like. Really great pairings. The one with the liver toast makes it taste like a peanut butter and jelly sandwich but much deeper in flavor.

It is worth asking for the sommelier Max there.i have never had better wine pairings with food in my life even at 3 Michelin star places.

Actually more and more chefs move away from the meat as the center of too many dishes (and too many tasting menus). Perhaps a good time for you to take a closer/better look

Here’s a report of the guest chef David Wilcox’s burger pop-up at the Old Man Bar in the back of Hatchet Hall:

The rest of my month is looking like a tornado, so tonight was the only chance I was going to have to try this burger that’s only available at 10pm on Sundays and Mondays (EaterLa article here). There were quite a few people there just for the burger, but it didn’t sell out in seconds. I would still plan to be there a bit before 10pm if you want one, though.

The bar was too dark to take any pictures, and my memory is letting me down, but the burger is:

• Beef (only available medium rare or medium)
  • Oyster aioli
  • Pork Belly
  • Cheese (Oof. Can’t remember what kind, but it was a soft, white cheese)
  • Sesame seed bun

The burger came with some pickled veggies (radish, cauliflower, etc.). You could also order the duck fat potatoes are also on the regular menu.

Overall, it was a really tasty burger. In general, I definitely prefer a simple burger to one with a bunch of bs piled high, but I felt like this one did a fine job of not being too ridiculous. I used knife & fork, but I s’pose you could use your hands. It’d be a mess, but you could. The bun was really, really good. The pork belly was super crispy, which was a nice element of texture. I didn’t really get oyster from the aioli, but it did seem to offer more than a standard aioli. Is it worth $18? The pork belly does make a strong case in the affirmative, but that’s also the price of four In-N-Out burgers, so, tough call.

1 Like

I am currently drinking at HH and working in the bar following a poor dinner at Oficine Brera. I’m thinking of just coming back tomorrow night.

Maybe I’ll just get one tonight though haha

How were the tips last night?

1 Like

idk, I tipped like 30% on my fizz, brilliant stuff.

Just booked a rezzo

Went back to hang out in the bar last night and got one of the burgers. Man, this guy must be famous because the bar was PACKED for the burger well before 10 PM when they started making them officially.

The beef used for the burger is great. I wish it was cooked a little more on the rare side when ordered medium rare because of the quality of the beef. I also thought raclette on a burger worked great, giving it a kind of pleasant undertone of funkiness. Oyster aoili added just a slight hint of smoke/brine/creaminess to the thing, but was pretty subtle. The pork belly was nice for crunch, but some of it was so chewy it was inedible. The buns are some of the best burger buns I’ve ever had though, not too soft, nor too dense, but just a bit crispy, fluffy, and toothy. Pretty much perfect.

The pickled vegetables and marinated avocado on the side tasted unbelievably good and almost overshadowed the burger. In general, it was a highly enjoyable burger experience marred by a few missed details, but generally speaking flavors and ingredients were pretty great.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCts-D1E0B1/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

A plate of pork fat potatoes were a little unevenly cooked, but tasted pretty good. Really a lot of porcine essence in the potatoes, and a decent crisp char on them. Pleasant enough.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCttIw-k0CO/?taken-by=compulsiveaesthete

2 Likes

Congrats!

Had a wonderful dinner at Hatchet Hall last night.

Lovely classic southern plantation-esque décor. Boppin’ out some Lou Donaldson over the PA. The food and service was very good.

That porkchop was so fatty and succulent.

do they have the hams back on the menu?

Unfortunately, no, they don’t. Not yet. Ther server couldn’t give me any more info.

I was sure hoping they’d be on there when I went! oh well. Maybe next time.