Hayato (Downtown L.A.): A Pictorial Essay

And they have ties, too! They’ll even tie your tie for you in case you are inept. I’ve seen it.

I remember having to wear one as a teenager coming on a Sunday for brunch and a show lol!

Can confirm no jacket or tie required for halloween

7 Likes

I like the ultimate uni disguise!

1 Like

Chef Go live in action! :yum:

4 Likes

Summer’s the time for some Uni-Corn

1 Like

Instead of creating my own thread, I’ll just piggyback off of JL’s post. There were a few different items that I had compared to all of the other reviews out there, so there is some variance in what one might see compared to the other reviews that we’ve all drooled over.

Chef Go also mentioned that if he knows (or is made aware) of the fact that you are a repeat customer, he will try his best to make new dishes, though I’m sure that is dependent on his ability to source ingredients.

I was also privileged enough to get served Juyondai - Chou Tokusen for the opening sake, and it was every bit as glorious as the others have stated…my was even topped off a few times. For the remainder of the meal, I ordered a couple of glasses of sake since I’m not a big drinker: Mizubasho Ginjo (Gunma) and HakkaisanTokubetsu Junmai (Niigata). Both were good, but of course they didn’t really stand a chance following the Juyondai. My sister also ordered a Hitachino Nest Yuzu Lager.

Japanese Eggplant, Hokkaido Uni, Abalone steamed in sake, Snapper Dashi with Sudachi and thickened w/ starch

Bonito Tataki - Seared over bincho coals, Kabosu Ponzu, Myoga
This was the second half of a two-part sashimi course. Instead of serving this with the tai sashimi, this came out as a separate dish.

Hamo, Ume, Shiso Kamameshi
Yes, the amount served is a bit on the small side, but Chef Go will keep dishing out the rice until everyone is done…he mentioned that to-date no one has finished the rice. That coupled with the fact that the you can get seconds, thirds, fourths, and fifths of the sake jelly peaches, leaving Hayato with an empty belly is only possible if you are a Porkybelly-level eater, or choose not to get refills of the rice and dessert courses.

As many have already stated, it’s exciting to have a high-level kaiseki place in LA; I’m looking forward to my next meal at Hayato…

8 Likes

Ha, he must be making more rice. He told us we were the only ones to finish off all the rice.

And nice report, that uni and sashimi look great. Was the uni your first course?

1 Like

He also said the most anyone had was 5 bowls.

1 Like

I want to go back in september and asked chef go if the menu would be significantly different from what I had in July. He said it’s been difficult to get new stuff from Japan because of the holidays and typhoon season. He anticipates the entire menu changing in October.

4 Likes

@PorkyBelly

3 Likes

Thanks SO much for ‘piggy-backing.’ For those of us who plan a visit to LA some day it will make it so much easier.

Yeah. I’ll probably be trying to go back in October.

1 Like

You two hounds, @PorkyBelly & @J_L, probably know this already, but both your reports are linked in an article about Hayato on Eater LA. I found your lovely reports, from clicking on the 2 links in the article. :smile:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/la.eater.com/platform/amp/2018/8/2/17644522/hayato-row-japanese-open-dinner-omakase-kaiseki

1 Like

He looks like a matinee idol.

And he is one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. Completely devoted to his calling, yet so humble, and always very happy to talk about his food, techniques, sourcing, etc.–he never acts like one’s questions are “stupid.” The restaurant is austere but he makes the place feel warm and welcoming. All of that is the icing on the cake of the best dinners I’ve ever had in LA.

8 Likes

Okay, now I really want to go. :blush:

Side bar: his hair would’ve made a young Michael Corleone jealous.

1 Like

:rofl:

Or Mrs. Maisel’s husband Joel:

3 Likes

YES!!! I wish my hair would do matinee idol stuff like that. ::sigh:: Oh, well. We all must have some flaws… :wink:

1 Like

Top 5 reasons to visit an L.A. eatery in 2019:

5 The parking is easy.
4 The chef won some sort of something on Hulu on Season something.
3 The chef’s name is Sergio.
2 The chef coif.
1 Toto.

(Honorable mention: They still take cash.)

6 Likes