Hayato (Downtown L.A.): A Pictorial Essay

One last question for @J_L, @PorkyBelly, @Hungrydrunk or anyone who has parking experience here…
I don’t head up to this neighborhood too often, and when I do I sometimes find that parking is a pain. What’s the parking situation like or should I just Lyft here instead? Thanks!

There’s two hour validated parking in the parking garage. But even with validation I still had to pay $14 for my 5 hour parking. If you don’t mind walking I saw plenty of free parking on alameda.

1 Like

Well, what do you know…I totally forgot that I signed up online, when I first heard about Hayato, for the waitlist, and just got an e-mail from Chef Go that there’s a couple of spots open for me next week! Can’t wait!

1 Like

Oh. I’m jealous! :slightly_frowning_face:

Also, I see that reservations can now be made at Resy but everything’s filled up already.

The cool thing about ROW DTLA is that they have a HUMONGOUS parking lot. Entry driveway to this parking lot is accessed on the west side of Alameda, just south of Alameda & 7th. Happy parking (and eating)!

1 Like

I think that Resy reservations are blocked (for anybody not on the waiting list) entirely until the end of August. The Resy site must be linked to the waiting list, because it’s showing me that there’s availability. Check back in a few days–Chef Go said Resy will be unblocked soon.

Very helpful, @J_L and @PorkyBelly! Much appreciated.

what time does the dinner begin?

@CiaoBob 7PM

Thanks!
Just throwing this out…
I could make 7 PM tomorrow if someone has to cancel last minute.

4 Likes

Thanks, @FoodRogue, for being cool dining partners and for sharing the Wing of Japan with us last night. We hope you enjoyed our Dassai 23.
This is probably the first time I’ve ever had dinner with literally just 4 people in a restaurant. It felt both homey and like a luxury all in one shot. Fabulous meal and experience.

4 Likes

Just got some good news from Chef Go. Resy finally fixed the “no availability” issue so you will see some open slots now.

I’m locked in for 8/24 at 7:00PM!

1 Like

On a side note, any of you experienced FTCers can give a comparison between n/naka and Hayato? I know it’s not apple to apple as the former is kaiseki and the latter being washoku but I’m still interested in seeing your thoughts besides the more simplistic elements of Hayato’s cuisine! @PorkyBelly @J_L @attran99 @FoodRogue

n/naka:
Chef Niki & Chef Carole serve a modified kaiseki at n/naka which they term “modern kaiseki”. By applying Western cooking techniques, yet all the while maintaining Japanese rigor in the back kitchen (i.e., not an open kitchen concept), they are able to make this fusion concept work. The sacrifice here is the loss of the chef-customer interactions which an otherwise kappo-style dining room would afford. But by using a more Western dining room layout, it is possible to serve more covers per night. The very traditionally Japanese kaiseki precept involving the sourcing of as many local ingredients as possible is also a guiding principle at n/naka. Ironically, this means that over 80% of the starting material for a standard n/naka menu originates from California, and not Japan or elsewhere.

Hayato:
Hayato is traditional Japanese kaiseki, period. The techniques used by Chef Brandon here are no different than what you’d find in any reputable kaiseki establishment in Japan. Every detail of the meal, including the layout of the dining area, the sourcing of ingredients, the oils used for frying, the binchotan charcoal for heat, and the even the ceramics for the food and drinks, are consistent with “old school” kappo kaiseki. In addition, the kappo etiquette at Hayato allows Chef Brandon to finish the final steps of cooking every course right in front his customers. This practice avails the opportunity for an open discussion between diner and chef regarding the provenance and details of each dish, thereby enhancing the personal aspect of the experience. One more word about sourcing: Currently, Chef Brandon’s ingredient costs for each $200 meal amount to more than an average of $110 per diner, because much of it must be ordered in advance from Japan. After accounting for labor, overhead and the fact that there is a very limited number of seating per night, the only way Chef Brandon can make a go of it at Hayato is to hope that his customers also order alcohol. So please please please, by all means - Order some sake to enjoy with your transcendent Hayato kaiseki! :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Wow! Thank you for the elaborate response. Much appreciated! I’m looking forward to my meal there in a few weeks!

1 Like

& compare & contrast Okuda during your NYC trip

I already have SGO, Le Bernardin, EMP, and Brooklyn Fare planned for the 3 nights I’m there so I ran out of meals for the dinner only Okuda. :slightly_frowning_face:

Hi @moonboy403,

You will soon realize what you describe can be done in 1 night of dining by @J_L and @PorkyBelly. With enough training, perhaps one day, you, too, can master the Bang x 4. :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

6 Likes

@Chowseeker1999 :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:rofl

Little padawan must learn from Jedi masters

1 Like

Even if I got the training down, my wallet can’t support the extravaganza! Price is x2 for me at every fancy meal! :joy:

1 Like