Hayato - ROW DTLA

Now fully booked through August. Good for Chef Go, bad for us.

6 Likes

When we came in the other night, Chef mentioned he was fully committed for the first 3 weeks. Nice to see the initial stage working out so well for him…he’s such a great person.

3 Likes

New menu item at Hayato?
From their Instagram page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BorTgCjBrPk/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1033wcehkcv23

2 Likes

I enjoy how informational Hayato’s posts are.

1 Like

thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

That’s one frowny face… And I won’t put up a fight for the eye.

1 Like

Went last week and sadly no sighting of that Kabuto Ni but had plenty of awesome food regardless. I saw some pics floating around on Instagram but thought I’d share on this board anyways some of what I had that was different this time around:

The opening dish was Abalone with okra and fava beans in a sauce made of snapper bones and head (I think he called it ushijiru?). Big chunks of Abalone had so much flavor!
Image00003

For the first soup course, was live Maine lobster with Matsutake mushroom. A really great dish, though I do miss that slippery Junsai…
Image00006

Right after came grilled Hokkaido scallop with Aonori. The scallop was so sweet! And the Aonori added this nice crunchiness to it.
Image00009

After that was this lovely dish, Dungeness crab and eggplant. I like that almost every dish seems to have some kind of protein paired with a vegetable.
Image00011

For the rice dish, he used Kinmedai. I’ve only eaten this as sushi so it was awesome to try this in a different way. Pre-finish has some great coloring and the final product was delicious. Kind of wanted to just eat it all!
Image00015

I think I saw in another thread that it appeared peach season was over so i was wondering what Hayato would do for his dessert course now. His answer was these amazing figs in yuzu jelly! I must admit I don’t think I’ve had figs before but this was a treat and I’m definitely thinking more about them now I’ve tried them here. Sooo good and that yuzu jelly! Yum.
Image00018

I just focused here on the dishes with more significant changes. Most everything else was tweaked a bit one way or another, but delicious items like the Sabazushi, Nodoguro, and the Amadai Nabe were still present. Overall, just as good, if not better, than my first time here.

9 Likes

Looks delicious! I may sneak in for the Winter menu since there are still some Summer dishes on the Fall menu. Thanks for sharing! Hope you had a great meal.

3 Likes

Looks scrumptious! Must…Resist…

2 Likes

can’t wait. going next Wed. My buddy went last friday and posted pics on his IG… looked sublime

kevin just posted pictures of the drink list.

1 Like

Ha. Chef Brandon just told me there’s another new page of sake added to even that list.

had another fantastic dinner at hayato. besides not having the bo-zushi, i enjoyed everything more than my previous meal.

tatami room
almost ready

seared hokkaido scallops, dashi soaked chrysanthemum greens, kimizu sauce (egg yolk, dashi, rice vinegar, mirin), yuzu yest
great start, nice balance of the kimizu sauce and yuzu

nagasaki sea eel, harrison’s california chestnuts
awesome, chestnuts were great too

seiko gani (female matsuba crab from hyago prefecture), uchiko and sotoko eggs, crab meat, sushi rice
this replaced the bo-zushi course which i enjoyed more but this was still damn good.

owan - nodoguro (the king of white fish), matsutake (oregon), mitsuba

wasabi

tai (japanese sea bream), aji (japanese spanish mackerel), salt, soy sauce, shiso, myoga (japanese ginger bud)
why isn’t soy sauce and salt served with all sashimi? I loved the slight texture contrast with the salt.

sake steamed abalone, abalone stock, abalone liver
Fantastic abalone stock, i think it tasted more of abalone than the actual abalone

binchotan grilled kinki, lotus root
wow, highlight of the night. the lotus root was slow cooked over the fire for about 45 minutes which gave it a nice chewy texture. the kinki was perfectly crisp, smoky, and so oily that it increased oil production and lowered gas prices. i need to eat the whole fish.

wakasagi (pregnant freshwater smelts), turnip greens, ginger ankake
If you smelt it, hayato delt it.

alaskan king crab nabe, matsutake mushrooms, napa cabbage, yellow yuzu
the matsutake were cut thicker than in the owan course to give it a chewier texture.

buri daikon meshi, pickles, miso soup

rice x4

k & j orchards nashi pear, sake jelly, sea salt x3

not toto

broccoli

Hayato
1320 E 7th St
Ste 126
Los Angeles, CA 90021
(213) 395-0607
http://www.hayatorestaurant.com/

pre-dinner bang @ rappahannock oyster bar

baja california mission oysters

fried oysters, lemon, comeback sauce

shrimp cocktail, achiote cocktail sauce, lemon

smoked trout deviled eggs, house hot sauce

Rappahannock Oyster Bar
787 Alameda St
Los Angeles, CA 90021
(323) 435-4004
https://rowdtla.com/collective/rappahannock/

21 Likes

Fudge that all looks so great…

1 Like

Nice dinner @PorkyBelly. :slight_smile: Looks like the new menu this evening is even better than before. :slight_smile:

You should’ve just asked him for another whole Kinki. :wink:

1 Like

loving that smelt presentation.

2 Likes

The first time i went, i was shy about eating more of the rice.
next visit, I’m gonna eat all of the rice!

2 Likes

Looks fantastic. Chef Go’s binchotan grilled fish is probably the best grilled fish I’ve ever had.

How was the texture of the rice this time? On my last visit, the rice could’ve used a little more chew.

1 Like

Top on my list next trip back to LA.

Shame about the Toto though :pensive: - they nailed everything else.

2 Likes

F yeah!!! Looks great! I’m already cycling through sake ideas from these pictures!

What is the reservation cycle? Is it 30 days in advance per day, or the first of each month reservations open up for the remainder of the month?

1 Like