Healthy-ish Eats

Thank you for the tip on the TJs tahini – I remembered your post today, and finally found the tahini-tahini (vs. tahini sauce) at my local TJs on a ledge above the frozen foods.

Man oh man, this tahini is good! Mild and lovely and easy to stir. And a great price.

Also love the shapely glass jar it comes in – wide mouth, narrow bottom, all the better to get every last bit of goodness out of. And it will make a cute storage container.

3 Likes

I’m not generally a fan of Pollan either, but as far as philosophy of healthy eating goes, you have to admire that it manages to be both essentially correct and elegantly compact.

i tried to diet using calorie-counting diets and failed for years.

my success came with diets that don’t rely on calorie-counting and don’t rely on portion control nor on constant hunger.

so, you just eat, then?

From 2011 here is one of my fav “Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me” bits. It’s Paula Poundstone correcting Michael Pollan on Food. Specifically her favorite, most important food :wink:

Click the link and listen from to 3:20 to 4:39.

1 Like

Hilarious!

Like I said above:

no,
i limit “types” of food, rather than “amount” of food.

this way, i can eat enough to be full and still have control of my weight.

Experts are dumb.

Poundstone is wrong, Ring Dings contain no chocolate. To duplicate that kind of waxy coating at home people use paraffin.

I guess she understands that the “creamy” filling is chemicals.

1 Like

@robert -

Paula’s awfully smart and I’m pretty sure she knows she’s “wrong” and that her dear ring dings are completely chemical. That’s why I find her spirited defense of them such fun.

3 Likes

Ring ding ding ding ding - correct!!

1 Like

i wish there was a william goldman of the healthcare field.

2 Likes

yup! I just made tahini sauce with mine. It really is good, mild flavor and a good size for me so I don’t have it hanging around my pantry long enough to go bad

One of these days I have to make this Tahini ranch dressing!

1 Like

We had dinner at Truxton’s American Bistro in Westchester last night and there were several healthy-ish eats on the menu. I went with their cold red quinoa bowl. The bowl is deconstructed with the dressing on the side. The default protein option is chicken (at about $15), but you can substitute salmon at a cost. Really happy with the flavor, fillingness, and textural variety of this dish.

3 Likes

Yep… not all fats are bad.

Hi @MaladyNelson -

I’m a little late to the party. But here’s M2C.

Unless you have a medical condition that requires it - I would never give up a food that has natural fat: Avocados, nuts, olive oil, fish, the much discussed tahini. These foods are great for your skin (let’s not forget the skin). I’m not a nutritionist, but aren’t some fats also good for the body?

Some say to eat a lot of different colors.

My favorite piece of food advice was change your plate - more vedge & grains, less starch & animal fat. I love me some crispy fatty goodness, but still think it’s great advice :slight_smile:.

Of course, moving more is essential. But weight-training is overlooked. My husband trains people on occasion (mostly friends & co-workers). He likes working with and sees the most results from women our age. We’re at a point where we can no longer eat everything we want and it’s starting to show. We have decided to do something about it before we reach the point of no return, which will happen. He stresses weight training as the most effective way for us to lose fat and maintain our muscle density.

Okay, no more preaching. But have fun with it, don’t stress.

3 Likes