Helados La Michoacana on Santa Monica Blvd in West LA

Love ice cream so excited this place finally opened. It’s not the best ice cream, more like the Thrifty’s stuff from my childhood, but they did have awesome blue corn ice cream cones!

You could actually taste that it was made from corn! No more ice cream in a cup for me, thank you! They also had a brown sugar cone that looked good.

The other exciting thing about this place was all the chili possibilites! Will be back to try the paletas and other sweet spicy combos. Again, not fantastic ice cream but on a hot day, some times we just need a scoop of something cool!

8 Likes

Any agua frescas?

I don’t think so, but not certain on that.

Husband bought some paletas home! Had a mango and chile one - was sweet with large chunks of mango and nice kick!

mango with chile paleta

3 Likes

The one on Inglewood and Culver carries them.

2 Likes

The one in Pomona (in the same parking lot as Tijuana Tacos) has a fantastic (and very 'gram friendly) Mangonada.

1 Like

What does 'gram friendly mean?

I assume it’s a reference to Instagram.

1 Like

Ahhhh! Thanks!

Visually striking :slight_smile:

1 Like

This place looks great. I thought I read about this place in OC Weekly
http://www.ocweekly.com/restaurants/the-la-michoacana-premium-chain-proves-why-mexican-ice-cream-shops-are-the-best-around-8217656

Seems like there are 3 or 4 different chains with similar names that basically have the same name and menus. Planning on checking out the one in Anaheim.

2 Likes

Get thee to a library and read the chapter from Quinones’ “True Tales from Another Mexico” about the Popsicle Kings of Tocumbo (mentioned in the OC Weekly link and talked about here, too: La Michoacana Ice Cream: Stubborn Peter Pans or Viable Economic Model? | HuffPost Voices and then buy the book, because it’s excellent and he’s one hell of a writer - though I’ve yet to start “Dreamland,” his book on the opiate crisis) - it’s truly fascinating.

2 Likes