Summer may in the rear view, but I’ve been tasked with planning a BBQ for ~40 people later this month, and I’d love any pro tips as I’ve never “catered” for this many people before. I should note that I’m using BBQ as shorthand for “a bunch of people get together and casually eat in an outdoor setting.” It’ll be pretty informal dining-wise, grab-n-go style.
I’m still in the early stages, so any ideas/past successes are welcome. Below are some of the categories of thangs that I imagine’ll need to be sorted. I want the food to be good, but I also don’t want to feel crazy busy like a 10-year-old southern boy in Master Chef Jr. catering a backyard dinner for some of Gordon Ramsay’s closest friends.
- One large gas grill. May be able to bring another smaller one.
- Will have easy access to oven & microwave
- May be able to use one or more slow cookers
- Disposable plates/cutlery/cups
- Vegetarian option
- Salad (green, potato, etc.)
- This is being covered separately
Bonus points for incorporating any Halloweeny themes.