Help with big dinner in NOLA!

This is great! I’m going to text this to him. Thanks!

BTW… We went to R’evolution. I’m with your husband. The gumbo is the bomb! They laughed because I had the Seafood Gumbo as appetizer and the Death by Gumbo as my entree.

I haven’t done my R’evolution report yet. It was dark and my pictures don’t do it justice. Plus I need to figure out how to keep it short and sweet, as it could get massive. Our awesome waiter, Justin, gave us a tour of the whole place. It was a great time.

1 Like

Did you go for dinner? Next time, we’ll do that. It was an awesome gumbo, the two bites I was able to wrangle out of my husband! Love your order! We’ve been traveling most of January and just got back from Mexico - need to post some places myself!

Yes dinner. We were staying at the Royal Sonesta, but still had a hard time snagging a reservation. So glad we persevered. It was fabulous.

Mexico! My favorite place on the planet. What parts did you visit?

1 Like

How was the Royal sonesta? Would you stay there again?

We went to San Miguel de Allende for 4 nights, visiting Canada de la Virgen, and then two nights in Guanajuato. We hadn’t been to Mexico in over 15 years, but we had such a wonderful time we are thinking of returning very soon!

The Royal Sonesta was very nice. The staff was really helpful and friendly. It was decorated beautifully for Christmas. We didn’t reserve a suite or one of the rooms w/french doors & balcony because we knew we weren’t spending a lot of time indoors. But thanks to a tip from @Jason (I think) we booked a room in the back. It was very quiet. We knew we weren’t going to spend much time on Bourbon St. so it was nice staying in a hotel right there.

I’m so jealous about San Miguel de Allende. It is definitely on my list. Last time we went it was to Playa del Carmen. It has gotten more touristy in the last 10 years, but there are still a few unpopulated areas. We’re thinking Merida if we go to that area again.

Welcome home!

1 Like

Thank you!

Good tip! I generally prefer quiet myself! I always pour over trip advisor to see if anyone complains about noise!

If you go to SMA, I highly recommend my b&b - Antigua Capilla. They have a roof deck with an amazing sunset view, besides great rooms and good breakfasts. They are located a walk down into town, though. My asthma was triggered by all the pollution, dust, car exhaust, and we had to cab it back up to hotel, which was around 50pesos each time. Think that’s around $2.50usd. While SMA is great, I would recommend staying more time in Guanajuato, which is a beautiful, energetic, musical town, also filled with great art and artists.

View from B&B

We are thinking Mexico City next, though I just read it’s sinking!

2 Likes

Oh my wow!

Fantastic. I have not heard of it.

Good tip about SMA pollution. We get enough; no need to have it on vacation. Mexico to me is heaven, intertwined with a certain danger. I love it. But my husband concentrates on the danger… it’s his duty. I work on him and we always have a great time. We’ll see…

I love Mexico City. Didn’t know about the sinking. But you’re probably okay for now :wink:. Go while there’s still time :relaxed:.

Happy traveling!

Hey Y’all!

My girlfriend is taking her teen and ‘tween to NOLA to visit family for about 5 days. She’s actually creole from Louisiana, but hasn’t been back in years. She knows we went a couple of Xmas’s ago and had a lot of help from @CiaoBob, @LouisianaMouth and this board. She wants some recs. I gave her a couple of nice, sit-down options. Do you have any recs for places to take the teens? We’re talkin’ sophisticated-ish, L.A. teens. :wink:

Oh and where’s your favorite gumbo?

Thanks!

Okay, finding a place for teens is a tall order, especially when you don’t know them. :grin: But do ya’ got any favorite places for gumbo?? I know the places I liked, but I’m not sure what a Louisiana born person (one who makes her own gumbo) would go for. Thanks!

I can’t help you much with teenagers. “F’em,” I say :):sweat_smile: Seriously, any burger place (Port of Call, Camellia Grill) or a great Po’boy shop (Mahoney’s, Parkway), seems to entertain them. Mother’s would probably make them very happy. If the are into oysters/seafood Acme, Felix, Deanies, etc

I had a pitch-perfect smoked quail gumbo in April at Gabrielle on Orleans in the Treme.
My Louisiana chef said it’s one of the best “restaurant” gumbos (meaning there’s no restaurant gumbo that can come close to a home gumbo) she’s ever had. You can appreciate the dark, dark roux in this shot.

2 Likes

Not gumbo, but my favorites last time I was there were:

Cochon Butcher for Le Pig Mac and a muffaletta;
Mr. B’s Bistro for BBQ shrimp;
Brennan’s for brunch (egg carpaccio is delicious);
Shaya for Middle Eastern was also amazing (I know, not creole).

4 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob!

This is great. We were so obsessed with gumbo (had it everyday, even in the airport :grimacing:) and other creole favorites that we neglected to have even one po’ boy or muffuletta.

That smoked gumbo makes me want to get on a plane. I’d never had smoked gumbo until NOLA when when we had the Smoked Duck Gumbo at Clancy’s (another rec of yours) on Xmas eve. :yum:

Thanks!

1 Like

Good ones @OCSteve!

We were so focused on the classics, but Cochon & Shaya keep coming up on everyone’s list. Thanks!

1 Like

i’ll second cochon butcher and mr b’s for teens. i’ll also throw in willie mae’s, peche, and turkey and the wolf (haven’t been, but read good things).

1 Like

This convo is making ME want to go to NOLA!!!

Another vote for Cochon Butcher --pretty much everything we’ve had there was terrific. Very informal and perfect for teens.

1 Like

This.
It’s a teens wet-dream.

2 Likes

I texted her that exact quote. :sweat_smile: