Holbox by Chichen Itza

Can confirm. Grilled yellowtail collar was on the regular menu 12/8.

2 Likes

Yah, I’ll pass on paying for the metallic, hemoglobin-y flavor for now.

Darn it all! Just missed it!

I passed, as well, when the man working the “cash register” commented that it has a strong mineral-y flavor

1 Like

I’m curious. I like the light mineral flavor of some uni. But “strong mineral-y” and “metallic” and “chewy”? Probably not so much. :grimacing:

Oh and let’s not forget the “hemoglobin-y”.

@thecookie

Well rinsed & cleaned pata mula

=

brother from another mother

Akagai (蔀èȝ / Ark shell)

3 Likes

And if you acquire the taste for pata mula, you might enjoy

Sea pineapple “Hoya” ほや

2 Likes

Whoa! What’s the texture & taste of the Akagai? Similar? And I take it you like Pata Mula?

Where on earth are these found?

I’m sitting with a Mexican friend of mine right now. He says Pata de Mula means Donkey Feet. :grin:

Crunchy and sweet a little like giant clam with a hint of iron, one of my favorite sushi neta. It’s similar to pata mula, however has a more arched shell and grow very large. I’ve seen some the size of a fist. Local sushi joints have started offering “akagai” from Baja but I think it’s basically the same as pata mula. Still not permitted to import them from Japan from what I understand.

Yes, I do enjoy pata mula, I’ve been eating these bloody cockles since I was a kid in these back alleys

4 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

I don’t find Akagai and Pata de Mula to be similar in taste. Of the two, Pata de Mula is more of a distinct taste that might challenge taste buds more (for those that didn’t grow up with it or aren’t used to those heavier flavors).

1 Like

One per salsa

1 Like

Sushi Gen, and sometimes Shunji.

1 Like

I meant what ocean. :sweat_smile: But thanks for letting me know where to eat one.

I thought I was a badass for once eating a live, wiggling scallop. I will now retire that story. You win!

1 Like

Yeah those Asian blood clams / cockles they call see hum 螄蚶 in Hong Kong in Chiu Chow restaurants and are seasonal, served raw/marinated in chili garlic amongst a few other things (consume at your own risk) but are also integral to Singaporean Char Kway Teow flavor.

1 Like

Another shrimp torta down the gullet. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: May be the best one I have had to date. Holbox is becoming a weekly habit these days.

The bread was crispy yet delicate. Shrimps were super flavorful and the light, airy yet crunchy batter was perfection. It was assembled masterfully. It wasn’t on the menu but they made it anyways. Love this place.

11 Likes

Grilled octopus and the stuffed chiles with smoked fish are my favorites there currently.

1 Like