Home Cooking 2019

big ole pot of borsch

3 Likes

Meat stock base ? I like to cook mine with a little white vinegar and dill . Nice looking pot of borsht.

1 Like

More than you asked for

Purée:

• 1/3 cup chicken stock
  • 1/4 cup Italian flat-leaf parsley, chopped fine
  • 1/4 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves garlic

Add to:

• 1/2 pound ground beef
  • 1/2 pound ground pork
  • 1/2 pound ground veal or ground chicken
  • 1/3 cup plain breadcrumbs
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano or pecorino
  • 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
  • 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoon salt (depending on your taste)

Don’t overwork the meat and coat your hands with olive oil when shaping the balls. Brown batches in 1/2 inch olive oil, on all sides, about 15 mins.

You can tweak the meat. egs., if you want them sturdier reduce ground chix and add more beef. I’m thinking of adding more more pork (flavor). But the measurements for the other ingredients are spot on. Whenever I try to guesstimate they’re not as good.

Simmer in sauce for 1hr. Since the meatballs are the star in this one (and time consuming) I don’t go crazy making sauce from scratch. I gussy this up with tomato paste browned in oil, dried Italian herbs, extra garlic, broth, white wine, bay leaf, salt, pepper - sugar & butter if it’s too acidic. I put in a few chopped anchovies as well, but that’s optional.

It has all the aromatics, herbs, everything in it and a lot of basil, but no salt or oil.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Shows how exciting my life is: I’ve been thinking about making meatballs :slight_smile: I’m not sure I ever have so thanks for this.

1 Like

Orange Vinaigrette:

It calls for bringing a cup of OJ to a simmer then remove from heat, add & soak cranberries for 30 minutes then discard soaking liquid and use a few tablespoons of fresh juice for the dressing, adding cranberries back in. I had no OJ (just a few fresh oranges which barely made a cup). I used a few tablespoons of the soaking liquid, mixed it all together and refrigerated.

1 Like

Nice. I bet any extra it would make a nice marinade.

1 Like

Oh nice. Yeah, I couldn’t bring myself to discard the juice. I was like “What? No.”

1 Like

I like the puree as a twist . I’ll have to try this .

1 Like

I think it keeps them moist.

1 Like

Yes beef broth. Dill is great. I miss my mom’s

2 Likes

More thighs
 and left over spaghetti.

Baked thighs, roasted carrots & red bell pepper, coated with a touch of oil, a skosh of broth, seasoned w/spike, thai curry powder, smoked paprika, coriander, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, pinch of saigon cinnamon, salt & red pepper. I thickened the pan juice with a bit of veganaise (:relaxed:) and tossed in the spaghetti.

7 Likes

Those thighs! So lovely! Nice work, @TheCookie!

Thanks! I bake chicken thighs a lot. They mostly cook in their own fats & juices (no brining, salting, zuni-ing). Inexpensive too.

1 Like

I can eat boneless, skinless thighs, marinated and cooked on the grill. Can’t eat them otherwise. Or the leg. Too vein-y :slight_smile:

Yep, I’m squeamish about dark chicken in general and can mostly only eat my own. They have to be cooked in a way that the veiny stuff cooks away, the skin is crispy and the meat doesn’t dry. I guess I should have added in my OP “They’re really easy once you master them”. :slight_smile: I hate legs.

Here’s a peek of the flesh

2 Likes

I just fixed Bob and me one sandwich that we shared. I had cooked a whole chicken a few days ago. I put dark meat on his half and white on mine :slight_smile:

That’s a new loaf of bread with the TJs Everything but Bagel seasoning. Mmm.

1 Like

It’s possible I didn’t express that I’m a meatball pro already :stuck_out_tongue: would definitely advise upgrades such as a lot of good soft soaked bread (as much as 1/4 of the mix according to batali). And veal is part of the trinity. pecorino is the cheese to use. restaurant trick is to use more yolks and maybe all yolks for richness
 the reason for the question.

1 Like

Yes, oven cooked thighs are one of the easiest things to cook once you get the temperature and technique down. There is so much fat that they are hard to overcook, the skin gets crispy and the veins and fat render down. I put them on a raised grate above a sheet pan.

2 Likes

Hi @Nemroz -

Good stuff. Yep, I figured you were asking for a particular reason and didn’t need a recipe. :wink: But someone might enjoy it. I have 3 meatball recipes: one does indeed call for soaked bread, another is wrapped around a chunk of smoked gouda (good for party finger foods). Not doing veal, sorry. The one I posted has the least fat, least salt, but still flavorful. But your more yolks or just yolks sounds nice and rich! I’d love your full recipe if you don’t mind sharing.

P.S. Batali also says parmigiano-reggiano is “without a doubt the undisputed ‘king of cheeses’”. But shhh
 I used robusto (it’s actually dutch). It’s nutty, slightly creamier and has crunchy crystals (yum). But it’s not in every store, so I write the recipe as is.

Happy Meatball Making
 and Eating!

2 Likes

Batali: " A really good meatball is about 50 percent meat and 50 percent breadcrumbs."

Seems like some other things, there are many ways to perfection :slight_smile: