Hong kong recommendations

Anyone have any? We’ll be there for a fews days at the end of January on our way back from Delhi (where I don’t need recommendations). One of our hosts is into food and so we should be okay but I thought I’d check and see if anyone here has any recent firsthand experience they’d like to share. Interested mostly in dim sum, Cantonese, Shanghainese, Hangzhou but if there are other cuisines we shouldn’t miss please let me know. Also let me know if there are places that are often recommended to visitors for reasons that are not primarily to do with food that we should be wary of.

Dim Sum AND dinner at Lei Garden IFC. They have a $5 crab/pork XLB that is literally perfect.

Victoria City for crab with hua tiao liquor sauce. Way better than the versions I had at Lei Garden and Loaf An.

The infamous Yat Lok for goose. Their roast pork belly may be even better.

2 Likes

Breakfast at Australia Dairy Company (in Jordan) - Best scrambled eggs on the planet. Expect a queue, but FAST turnover.

Bamboo noodles at Wing Wah (on Hennessy Rd. location, in Wan Chai); try them before the old man retires from making those noodles, and they go extinct.

Second the Lei Garden IFC rec dim sum. Alternatively, you can do dim sum at Lung King Heen at Four Seasons.

Avoid Ritz-Carlton for dim sum, and avoid afternoon tea at the Peninsula.

1 Like

Just a heads up, Lei Garden is a reservations required for dim sum type of place.

Thanks, gents: keep them coming.

The odds are poor that we will not eat dim sum at least twice, so should be able to hit up both Lei Garden and Lung King Heen (unless our hosts make a compelling case for some other place as well).

You are about 1 month away from your trip there, so I’d HIGHLY recommend making reservations for those dim sum places now. (Yes, now.)

Reservation request is in to Lei Garden.

1 Like

Just curious. Why avoid Ritz-Carlton? Tin Lung Heen is one of my favorites. Good food, excellent service and unbeatable view.

Downhill alert. Taste-wise, it under-performed compared to Four Seasons on my last visit to HK.

Thanks.

I’ll be interested to see what my friends’ take on this might be. I assume yours was one bad experience.

Ye Shanghai. They have two locations, Admiralty and Tsim Sha Tsui. Very good Shanghainese food.

Yat Lok for roast goose and siu mei (Cantonese roast meats) but goose is their specialty! Crowded dining room for the one in Central. If you don’t mind the trek head to the original one in Tai Po which is supposedly better quality and the seating isn’t so claustrophobic.

For brisket check out either Sister Wah or Kau Kee. Both are very excellent but are on the opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of brisket noodles. Sister Wah is much more cleaner and less greasy while Kau Kee is just a fat bomb. Both are worth checking out I personally enjoyed Kau Kee but Sister Wah was much more easily accessible for me during my last stay.

If you can’t make it to Macau at least you can get Lord Stow’s egg tarts at the Excelsior Hotel.

Thanks for the further recommendations, people. Frankly, I am less interested–given our compressed time in Hong Kong–in visiting places known (mostly) for one or two dishes. I’m looking for strong all-rounders on Chinese cuisines Hong Kong is particularly known for.

Tasty Congee and Noodle is good for, well, congee and noodles (and their wonton). It’s a chain and I like the IFC one. Even the HK airport one is pretty good.

I wouldn’t write off going to one place for goose and another place for wonton noodles. Plus you get to see different parts of the city also.

A shop known for 1-2 things kinda is what HK is known for.

Well, we will certainly hit up the HK airport outlet of Tasty Congee and Noodle during our 4 hours layover en route to Delhi! Maybe more than once.

As for my hesitancy about trekking out to different parts of town for just one or two dishes it stems from a few different things: we’re only there for a few days; a large part of the trip is hanging out with the friends we’re staying with; we’re traveling with kids. Two good dim sum meals, one Cantonese seafood dinner and one good Shanghainese meal will probably be it. Lei Garden (reservation confirmed) and (hopefully) Lung King Heen will take care of the dim sum; unless my friends recommend otherwise, Ye Shanghai for the Shanghainese. Any recs for Cantonese dinner other than a nightime return to either of the dim sum places? (I’d rather try new places than go back to the same place twice, albeit for different things, on the same short visit.)

Well, our Hong Kong plans got unexpectedly complicated late. Our hosts had a death in the family–so we are here in their house in Hong Kong while they’re back in Delhi (which we just left!). I don’t want to trouble them to ask about which of the fancier places they’d ended up making dinner reservations for–so will check and see if we can get into a fine Cantonese dinner one of these nights (and maybe to Ye Shanghai as well). Lei’s Garden is still on for tomorrow–hopefully they won’t be upset about our party of seven turning into a party of four.

Anyway: hit up Crystal Jade at the airport on arrival early in the morning today. I don’t know whether to be depressed or not that the XLB and pan-fried dumplings at their airport outlet are so superior to any XLB or pan-fried dumplings we’ve had anywhere in L.A (or the rest of the US). The dumpling skins are on a whole other level.

And Yat Lok for lunch. Oh yes.

1 Like

Yep. So good I’m willing to go through customs and back in through security for them during a layover.

Glad you decided to go to Yat Lok. That goose is absurdly good. Did you try the pork belly?

Nope. The goose, greens and a noodle soup plus soy sauce (steamed) chicken for the kids (that chicken was very good too).

There’s a decent chance we might pick up some of the pork belly from Yat Lok one of these days. We’re staying in the midlevels. That escalator down to Central in the mornings, a day’s worth of roving and eating and then the escalator back up in the evening seems like too good an idea not to pursue at least once.