Hop Woo Szechuan is the real thing

We ate there yesterday and ordered from the Szechuan menu–you have to ask for it. Had the spicy fish hot pot, cumin lamb and spicy cucumbers. Unlike other westside pretenders, this was genuine stuff. They also own a restaurant in Monterey Park. If you like SGV Szechuan, try this place and I think you will agree. In a strip mall on Olympic and Sepulvida, northwest side of the street.

7 Likes

It is Olympic and Sepulveda, but southwest corner. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Heheh You’re absolutely right - SOUTHwest corner (northwest corner would finds potential diners sitting in an abandoned former urgent care center, wondering where the hell the MaLa is…).

is the kung pao any good? can they do a mala version?

Correct, sorry, got that wrong.

Agree 100%. Legit as fuck.
Was able to to have fantastic Cuminy Toothpick Lamb, Sichuan Frog AND watch all of the Lightning/Capitals Game 5 without spending 2 hrs driving.
AMEN.

3 Likes

There’s been a lot of abandoned medical clinics there. Must be bad feng shui.

![image|666x500](upload://jcro2uix4sFSVIjHJ1msrPIEWma.jpeg

Hit Hop Woo today this was very good, kind of beat up place but the toothpick lamb was excellent!

Also got the sichuan fried chicken (very good and spicy, better than northern cafe) and kung pao chicken which was decent but not Chengdu taste status.

Definitely recommended, time for a FTC blow up!

3 Likes

Shit - the last thing I want is fucking jgold ruining this place for all of us.

I was there before they started serving Szechuan, but the one thing I really remember is the incredibly tight parking lot – not fun.

We might be safe on this one - Not sure JGold’s editor would want just a portion of a menu reviewed.

Plus the restaurant is 16 years old.

1 Like

No, but we want the word to get out enough so they keep doing the szechuan. When we were thereon a Sunday around 2, the place was not very busy and we were the only ones to order from the special menu.

3 Likes

OMG, I got delivery here once, and it was good, but kinda forget about it. They have the Szechuan menu online! Heaven! Two places that serve intestine in West LA!!!

Can’t thank @J_L enough for providing the translation on the Hop Woo menu that allowed me to order mapo tofu with brains. Love it! But never tried their Exquisite Taste Brains. Was happy enough with Mapo tofu and brains, a dish that I just occasionally crave.

Last night, I called and got someone new on the phone, who was having difficulty with my order (he said he was new there.) . And what arrived in my order was a dish I didn’t order, and I’m pretty sure it is Exquisite brains. I also got the mapo tofu with brains, but now I’m all for Exquisite brains! It is extremely hot/spicy, or at the least the version I got was. And it is exquisite!

This is the mapo tofu with brains, my previous favorite there.

The next two are the Exquisite.

So happy I ordered the squid to help cut the heat.

Husband loves the cumin lamb here. All is good in west la.

And look ma, no Spongiform encephalopathy :wink:

And look ma, no Spongiform encephalopathy :wink:

:wink::wink:

5 Likes

Not knowing when you ate the brains nor the latency period of the prion makes me unsure if I can declare you safe…as advertised.

4 Likes

Well, I’m canceling the heart surgery I was going to perform tomorrow, just to be on the safe side…

1 Like

Latency period after initial prion exposure: >30 years. Yay. ;-D

1 Like

The average time is most likely more around 10-15 years

1 Like