How would you tip in this situation

I’m just gonna leave THIS here . . .

The whole system blows, if you ask me. I’ll never understand the appeal that a tip-based economy has for some, but there is always a tremendous amount of resistance to changing it.

3 Likes

I have been going out with a bartender. She tips extremely well. 30 to 40%. I’ve heard other bartenders tip well also.

1 Like

does that include her uber driver/deliver drivers too? It’s amazing how many people in the service industry stiff uber drivers and other delivery drivers.

No one ever gets stiffed. Pay it forward.

2 Likes

I’ve tipped at Winchells. Fuck it, Sidecar takes tips.

1 Like

The Hearth & Hound

A 20% SERVICE CHARGE HAS BEEN ADDED TO YOUR CHECK.
A PORTION OF THE SERVICE CHARGE IS DISTRIBUTED TO THE SERVICE TEAM, WITH THE REMAINDER USED TO SUPPORT BENEFITS AND EQUITABLE WAGES FOR OUR ENTIRE STAFF.
TIPS ARE POLITELY DECLINED. PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS.

Never underestimate excellent writing skills. :ok_hand:

4 Likes

This is how Japan does it, except the concept of “service” is inherent in Japanese society for all endeavors, and is thus considered part of the total fee when dining out.

I assume that all these countries pay a “living wage”?

1 Like

A note on tipping: we recently did away with the practice of tipping ensuring that our entire team is compensated more equitably. Instead, a 20% administrative fee will be added to your bill. This fee is not a gratuity nor is it distributed to the service staff.
They very clearly said they did away with tipping. Why do you think you should still tip?

nor is it distributed to the service staff.

1 Like

At high-end restaurants without service charges, servers can make twice or more what untipped staff make. At some places they make more than the chef.

1 Like

Do you see a reasonable solution to this?

Very true. I know a bartender who regularly makes $40 and hour (around $10 wage plus an average $30 in tips). With a 40 hour week that’s over $80,000 a year… way more than any teacher I know.

One thing occurs to me. I think it would take quite a while for people in the US to get comfortable that service charges (or raised menu prices) were truly going to servers in the same amount they got with tipping. I’d bet there’d be a very big shake out of of staff if my bartender suddenly found her income cut dramatically.

1 Like

including service fees in pricing like every other industry, pay fair wages all around, and ban tipping.

1 Like

I totally agree but how does one move the whole industry to that? I ask sincerely.

Stop filing class action suits against them, to start.

I would like to see a consensus of all the servers in Los Angeles. About what they think of getting a fair wage with no tips. Or getting the wage they are now with tips.

1 Like

And what is “fair”? Should one be able to live off this wage? Should one be able to rent a studio apartment? Except for THE chef, are these jobs just interim ones on the way to something else?

Exactly. What are they going to do end up working their ass off for $14 an hour before taxes. More than likely would have to get two jobs.

I don’t know what fair is, but I know FOH making 2-3x what BOH makes is not fair.

1 Like

this is common in every type of business. Nobody makes the same wage all the way around.