Howlin' Ray's

I do the nibbles with the habenero and Scotch Bonnet. Now that I think about it, we do get the bird’s eye included in some of the Thai dishes, where we nibble those with the pork, peanuts etc.

I can handle spicy, but Howlin Rays Medium had my eyes/nose watery, and it’s a slow burn that creeps on you minutes later. My friend was doing worse. A milk tea from Ten Ren and some ice cream from Scoops was in order for both of us!

2 Likes

I can handle spicy

but Howlin Rays Medium had my eyes/nose watery

error, does not compute

1 Like

Pro tip: for an extra deep cleanse, order the off-menu “howlin’ plus”

2 Likes

I get the half bird and get one piece x-hot and one piece country fried and take alternating bites from each and that balances out the heat for me.

5 Likes

A wise approach.

1 Like

As a bona fide haole (English, Irish, Swiss-German, Swedish) I salute your self-restraint. I have ghost pepper salt, a gift from a sadistic friend, and I use it way too often. The next morning I repent and swear to refrain from it ever again - at least until I replenish my supply of Pepcid AC. I don’t know what it is about rebelling against your culinary heritage (although I love fish and chips, and Yorkshire pudding), but I so love spice!! Carolina Reaper…what a lovely sounding name…maybe slow smoked pulled pork with East Carolina sauce made with Carolina Reapers…where is my Pepcid AC?

3 Likes

Where is that receipt from??? :smiley:

1 Like

And here I always thought you were sane.

1 Like

Hi @thechez5 -

Me too! My favorite is Country Level. But if you’re trekking to and standing in line for Howlin’ Ray’s, you have to at least get one piece of Nashville Hot Chicken!

Just sayin’

4 Likes

Hey - don’t yuck my sanity (as right as you may be). :wink:

My heat tolerance has gone up over the past few years. Maybe as I age, my senses are getting numb to the extremes. And if you ask my wife, she’d tell you that I often have no sense. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

They aren’t getting numb they are getting “vintage”. My wife considers me insane as well as far a spice levels go. Actually she considers me insane as far as most things go. It is what it is after thirty years. It’s the day after that kills me. I have posted this before but the url has changed, Prince’s Hot Chicken | Southern Foodways Alliance - Southern Foodways Alliance. Relevant footage starts at 06:13. I so wish my tastebuds and my digestion synched up but they don’t.

3 Likes

She doesn’t really believe it though… Shhh.

3 Likes

After two years of trying to go here my wife and I finally made it to Howlin’ Ray’s on Sunday, and I must tell you all how incredible my experience was. Got in line around 3pm. Line was around 45 minutes. When we got to the front of the line we started talking to the staff at the front door. Told them how long we wanted to come and how great the food looked…and you know what they did? They **comped the entire meal plus added extra food we didn’t even order (waffles, fries, wings and a Howlin’ Ray’s pin) Over $60 of food because they said how glad they were that we finally made it here!!! “We have to take care of our fans!” I could not believe this kind of customer service…I was stunned!!! Wonderful Meal! Incredible staff! They made me feel like I won the lottery!
IMG_0451|375x500IMG_0452

24 Likes

Amazing!!!

1 Like

Welcome to the Chef Zone Fan Club!

3 Likes

:heart: This is hospitality. I love when people love their job and are happy to feed us. Wonderful post!

4 Likes

Really nice of them! I assume that the food was excellent, regardless of cost, though? I can’t wait to go back… ::sigh:: 45 mins isn’t bad.

1 Like

Hi @wienermobile,

So glad you finally made it out! :slight_smile: It’s wonderful right? Chef Zone and his staff are so amiable and friendly. No matter how long I wait, when we finally get inside, order and talk to the staff and then eat… it makes it all worth it. :blush:

2 Likes

Chef Zone is the best! Not surprised that you got comped/freebies. He is very genuine. Always grateful and appreciative of his customers. It’s no wonder Howlin Rays is one of LA’s best restaurants.

3 Likes