If you like your coffee black, you might have psychopathic behavior!

From the Indy 100:

Found that a preference for bitter flavours was linked to psychopathic behaviour.
Liking radishes, celery and tonic water put you in that bitter category too.
I like radishes and celery but only when I’m wearing leather…ha ha ha

:coffee:

Hey, being a psychopath does not necessarily mean one is anti-social.

Here’s the actual study, “Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits”:

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195666315300428

Two US American community samples … answered a number of personality questionnaires assessing Machiavellianism, psychopathy, narcissism, everyday sadism, trait aggression, and the Big Five factors of personality. The results of both studies confirmed the hypothesis that bitter taste preferences are positively associated with malevolent personality traits, with the most robust relation to everyday sadism and psychopathy.

It’s not necessarily malevolent, it’s just a lack of empathy. One can work around that and still lead a normal life.

I like bitter and sour. And honestly, correlation is a slippery slope.

1 Like

It’s a really good article by a solid practitioner. The major takeaway regarding sociopath vs psychopath (other than “try to avoid both”) is that a sociopath never seems to fit in with others and is likely a loner or the outcast or the person seen as odd, while the psychopath is the life of the party, well liked and even trusted, and can maneuver inside of social settings very well. The sociopath’s violence is a reaction to being different and knowing s/he is not “part of the herd”; the psychopath’s violence is for satisfaction of some (usually malevolent, not not necessarily) goal.

I did get a kick out of the author’s statement “Psychopathic killers view their innocent victims as inhuman objects to be tormented and exterminated for their own amusement or even sexual gratification”. As if sexual gratification is even worse than extermination. An interesting ordering of things, unintentional I’m sure.

(and, yes, I spent my career helping provide mental health to the citizens of NYState & am even licensed to continue doing so if I choose to abandon gluttony, travel and tennis & unretire).

4 Likes

Psychopaths aren’t necessarily violent. Sometimes we use our power for good. :innocent:

1 Like

Not really. Violence isn’t the issue, its the possible behavioral manifestation. Some times what a psychopath does results in good, but the motivation is self-satisfaction. That is what makes it psychopathic. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

If you like your coffee black, you might have psychopathic behavior!

can confirm

Individual differences in bitter taste preferences are associated with antisocial personality traits":

can also confirm

1 Like